GAO: U2F Security Keys Could Protect Taxpayers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent ever had my info stolen, but I am all for a modern security measure to protect the citizens when the current form is failing mroe and more.

Also something for claiming taxes should require multiple forms of identity (maybe a blood sample even :|)

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
This is a physical object right? Something that can be lost, stolen, destroyed, etc. Issued when you are a baby, to be held onto until the day you die. I don't see how that would create any problems. Every computer in the future will now be manufactured with this legacy port that this security key fits into.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

You mean like the US social security card? I can't imagine how they would ever have a replacement process for something like that... The US should be providing USB key fob certs for their citizens. Smartcard might be nice but at this point, every computer has a USB port.

Sure, USB may eventually not be backwards compatible or just go away entirely. Companies already make adapters for all types of legacy ports that convert to USB. I would assume that what ever replaces USB would have an adapter for legacy USB devices.

yes, in event its lost you would prolly have to file that and use multiple ways to prove its you andn to a scammer.

Its used in other places (not specifically this but a card that has basiclly everything about u on it)

good thing about modern tech and the future tech...ADAPTERS!

but ANYTHING is better than the current system.

Identity theft in States is high.

all it takes is your SSN (social security number) and a birth certificate and GG your identity is now not just yours. They can access everything.

Also, even when it's known that your SSN has been stolen, the Social Security Office gives you a hard time about issuing you a new one. It's nearly impossible to get a new SSN in order to protect yourself.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Technically, there is a large degree of goodness here, particularly in terms of cybersecurity.

In regards to privacy and some folks perceptions of "guvment" overreach, I don't see a US digitally enabled ID card. Still, I have been using a similar device (CAC) for 20+ years so we know how to do this.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

This is slightly different, I throw my US social security card in a drawer and never look at it again until the rare occasion when someone wants to physically look at the card, getting a passport, applying for a new job, not sure what others occasions. That means I have to handle it about once every 5 years or so. How many times have I had to supply my US social security card number, tons and I had that number transferred to my personal memory storage device, my brain and I can be sure that every US citizen knows that number like the back of their hand. I am just wondering how often you are going to need this "fob device" to do your everyday business, every time you use your debit card, punch your time clock at work, sign a document/contract. Will it become your unforgeable signature, and thus your have to have it on you at all times, thus putting it at great risk of what I wrote earlier "Something that can be lost, stolen, destroyed, etc. Issued when you are a baby, to be held onto until the day you die." Not to mention, copied without you even realizing that it has happened, unless the device has a way of preventing copying. You would never know when, where, or what kind of device someone might want you to insert your "fob device" so you will need very strong "protection" to make sure your data is secure, immutable and unreproducible.

Status
Not open for further replies.