Garage wifi help

chrisong2007

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
Happy new year guys! I need help please. So my garage has been converted to my dream mancave. Now, wifi there is impossible because its too far. I have a 150 foot ethernet cable that runs from my house to the garage. I have installed a switch so I can plug my laptop there. I wanted to add wifi over there so that i can use alexa. I have bought a TP-link AC750 wifi adapter and I connected it with the switch but I/m not getting a wifi signal. Need help please

Solution
Buying a second router will help you out Netgear is one of the best in router but is more expensive TP link also makes routers that are less expensive the router also provides ethernet ports so you do not need long cables anymore.

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
Buying a second router will help you out Netgear is one of the best in router but is more expensive TP link also makes routers that are less expensive the router also provides ethernet ports so you do not need long cables anymore.

Solution

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
it looks like that type of device is meant to boost a signal. meaning it needs to be in range of your routers wifi. the ethernet port that it has is to plug in a wired device such as a pc. from what i see all the products containing ac750 are all extenders that function more or less the same. you need to buy something else. I cannot however give a recommendation because i'm currently trying to figure out how i'm going to accomplish this task myself. I'm leaning towards a second router setup as an access point at the moment.

What you need is a wireless access point (WAP). What you should get is a wireless router, because nobody buys WAPs anymore, so the economies of scale make them more expensive than wireless routers even though they have fewer features.

There's a sticky describing how to configure the router to act as a WAP, instead of a router. The switch is actually unnecessary if you have the wireless router. You want to go

home router <=> 150 ft ethernet cable <=> wireless router configured as WAP

The 4 LAN ports on the new router can be used as a switch (well, 3 of the ports, since you'll be plugging the 150 ft cable into one of theports).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

chrisong2007

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

thank for the input. I have a device called neptune systems aqua controller that is wired to my switch. so basically i need a wireless router "WAP" and plug it to one of the switches ports so i can have wifi at the garage. Am i correct?? sorry not super techy guy here.