Question Garden hoses for a water cooling loop ?

ATI9800Pro

Commendable
Mar 20, 2017
Hi all !

I was wondering if garden hoses work fine as a tubing alternative for a water cooling loop, and saw this thread : https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/using-3-8-id-5-8-od-air-hose-for-water-cooling.2717098/

Since it's over 3 years old, I decided to create a new thread, and ask if anybody got experience with such hoses in this context, and how they perform. Bonus points for details such a fluid compatibility, flexibility (especially for reinforced hoses), how well they work with regular compression fittings of the water cooling world, long-term durability and anything important you can think of.

See you

kanewolf

Titan
I would be concerned about system contamination. The passages that water flows through in waterblocks is much smaller than the opening of a hose end nozzle. Is it REALLY worth risking expensive components for a few $$$ of hose material ???

The expensive part of custom watercooling is the fittings. Hose material is cheap comparitively.

I'm sure it could work as long as the id/od are correct, but why?? Proper tubing is super cheap. Comes in a variety of colors. And you know it's good to go.

Reinforced tubing will probably have a small issue with flexibility, but as long as the bends aren't too tight, should work. Tight bends in soft tubing aren't the best idea anyways.