Gateway NV53 not showing display when powered on

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fowerdna

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
you didn't answer the question?

sanjaymahabir

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

nameused

Reputable
May 3, 2015

Thank you very much! This worked great!

pc stupid

Reputable
May 8, 2015

I did the same as you. I tried connecting it to my tv via hdmi. No picture still. So i then tried the screen part where you push it back with pressure as far as it will go and then back to 90 degree area. Over and over. And screen lit up. Powered it offe then back on and again no screen until I manipulated the screen back and forth fastly. And it lit up again. The right hinge that houses the power button pinches the wire that tells the screen to power on. The chord was frayed. I put some electrical tape around the wire and melted some of the plastic inside the hinge so it won't pinch the wire anymore. I then powered it off and on many times for a week and the screen works fine now and the issue is solved. I for one am suprised with myself as I am very pc stupid. Thank God for forums to research problems like this. For I was ready to pull the hard drive out and smash my gateway NV53 into many tiny pieces as I have anice HP
ENVY dv6 with windows 8.1. But I need my Gateway because that's what I use for file sharing. I don't want the software on my HP that is on my Gateway.

fowerdna

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
thanks for the tip I'll eventually try it if mine fails again

jgunslingerj

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

jgunslingerj

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
I had this issue as well with my nv53. I never close mine as I use it as a ghetto-desktop (I.e. external monitor, mouse ,& keyboard. So I did a modified version of sanjay's repair. I removed battery, held start button for 30 sec. Replaced battery, started laptop closed lid wrapped it in a towel. 20 minutes later, it was quite hot. Then I booted until the screen came on. I then went under power options and chose "do nothing" when screen is closed for both battery and plugged in. Also, for good measure, I chose "never" for all the sleep, dim, and hibernate options. Seems to be working okay now. I'll let y'all know if anything interesting develops.

Timothy Scott

Reputable
May 19, 2015
There is a design flaw in this style of laptop. The flaw is located in the wire that runs to the power button. The wire runs up and turns at a 90 degree angle causing it to pinch and separate. The lack of connection allows you to power on the laptop but not enough to illuminate the screen or any other screen either. You have two options to fix this; #1 take out the wire, re-solder and then reinforce it or #2 re-position the power button in another spot as I did. I took the power button out, drilled a hole in the front, extended the wire, re-soldered and reinforced it, ran it to the front and viola it works.

polemi

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

polemi

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Hi Sanjay.
This worked great for me after ages trying everything else.
As an ex Microsoft, HP and European Bank support man I was sceptical for your answer but WELL DONE AND GOOD WORK.

25enoc

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

I also have NV53. When the power is OFF, close the lid then open it pushing it all the way back. Place it at approximately 90 degrees angle, Hold the lower left part of the lid (lcd monitor) like your bending it (pressing your thumb lower front of the frame of the monitor while the rest of your fingers holding the back). Then turn the power ON. If it doesn't work the first time, turn it OFF. Then repeat the procedure above. If nothing works, BUY power button assembly with plastic cover, spring and cable $59.92. http://www.laptopking.com/searchmodelresults.asp?brand=gateway&model=nv53%20series&txt=NV53%20Series.

David_19

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015

David_19

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015

David_19

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
youre solution worked perfectly 25enoc,, pressed the botom left and bam! .. so what doest this mean,,, is there a permanent fix or will i have to do that for the rest of this laptop life?... got the nv53 by the way...
thank you again!!!

ljvan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

Sanjay you are a genius! God Bless you:)

Volunteerdj420

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
I also have an NV53 that I have resurrected. After replacing the battery and keyboard. It ran fine up until a few weeks ago when I began having the same problem in this thread. I have followed Sanjay's suggestions a few times tto get it to boot up. I've had to do this several times, heating up the laptop for the fix to work. The last time I went into BIOS to try to resolve a different problem (checking system clock) due to a windows workgroup error. I decided to disable the "silent boot mode" in BIOS and the laptop has booted about four or five times ever since. It may be just a coincidence, but if you're able to get into BIOS it's certainly worth trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS