[SOLVED] gbu overheates while gaming

Jun 30, 2020
i have a lenovo ideapad 320 , i got it for almost 2 years now , recently while playing games i noticed that my gbu runs over 90 c , almost 94 c causing performance issues , so i did the standard procedure , checked my fan and i found it not working so i replaced it with a new one , ok it works now right so the heat should go down , it actually didn't , stil same over heating issue , so i reapplied thermal paste , heat went roughly 4 degrees down and the performance improved but it still goes over 90c for gbu and 85 for cbu while gaming , also tried updating all drivers , updating bios , changed my power options , nothing worked , i honstely have been trying to fix this for a month now and i almost given up ,

Solution
Hmm... typical thermal issues:
A)Bad thermal paste job by the manufacturer
B)Dried up/caked thermal paste
C)Used too little thermal paste, resulting in insufficient coverage of the die(you can also use too much, but IMO, it's not as bad as not enough)
D)Busted fan
E)Airflow is choked, via dust, or chassis design is too restrictive
F)Overclocking when there wasn't enough thermal headroom to do so(overclocking does increase overall power consumption = higher thermals)
G)Using high performance power plans, whether Windows, the gpu's software, or some other 3rd party app enabling it

Furzumz

Reputable
Have you ever blown the dust out of the computer using a can of compressed air?

If you haven't, or haven't done it within the past few months then that could possibly cause overheating. Dust build up especially in laptops loves to raise temperatures up quite a lot.

If you haven't done it before blow the compressed air in the laptop's air intake vents first then blow the compressed air into heat exhaust vents. Do that a few times and see how it goes.

Jun 30, 2020

If you haven't, or haven't done it within the past few months then that could possibly cause overheating. Dust build up especially in laptops loves to raise temperatures up quite a lot.

If you haven't done it before blow the compressed air in the laptop's air intake vents first then blow the compressed air into heat exhaust vents. Do that a few times and see how it goes.

i already done it two times over the past month , air flow is actually perfect

Jun 30, 2020
It's likely time to replace the thermal paste.
Dusting and raising the laptop to increase air intake will only do so much if the paste has completely dried and caked up, creating air pockets, thus reducing heat transfer.
already replaced it , and it went only 4 degrees down

Jun 30, 2020
Does the gpu fan still run OK?
What's the model of the gpu?

Looking up the Lenovo Ideapad 320 - it's one of those thinbooks, and a discreet gpu running in there isn't going to have great thermals no matter how you swing it.

yes it's still running perfectly
gbu is mx150 2gb

i know it won't be great but most of my friends who have ip 320 are running games on 70 c and 45 c idle , mine reaches 90c while gaming , it's not just bad it's ridiculous and not normal

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm... typical thermal issues:
A)Bad thermal paste job by the manufacturer
B)Dried up/caked thermal paste
C)Used too little thermal paste, resulting in insufficient coverage of the die(you can also use too much, but IMO, it's not as bad as not enough)
D)Busted fan
E)Airflow is choked, via dust, or chassis design is too restrictive
F)Overclocking when there wasn't enough thermal headroom to do so(overclocking does increase overall power consumption = higher thermals)
G)Using high performance power plans, whether Windows, the gpu's software, or some other 3rd party app enabling it

Solution

rjco

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
Do you have custom fan curves? Try manually forcing to 100% and see if the temperature issues persist?

Are you running Windows 10? Have you recently performed any windows update that have affected the power plans?

A number of bloatware/encryption can cause additional workload for the CPU which can cause performance/overheating issues in laptops so it may be worth looking at task manager for any bad actors.

Whilst not fixing the underlying issue you could look at a modest undervolt on your GPU this should help with thermals.