GDC 2010, Day 3: Diversity Or Fragmentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

because it will add useless data to their HDD :p

in all honesty that's a good question.

G

I think it is possible to use the DX 11 API but still make your code backward compatible with older cards; just means older cards won't use some of the features you programed in.

I am a bit surprised though that one could code using DX 11 API and still be backward compatible, considering the tessellation requirement. Either Microsoft did a very good job with the API, the game developers need to do a lot of work to make it backward compatible, or I am wrong and it cannot be backwards compatible.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]dco[/nom]But if you don't have dx11 hardware how can you make use of it??[/citation]
DirectX 11 has enhanced multithreading support, meaning it depends more on your CPU.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Some DX11 features were already on GPUs prior to the 5000series/GTX400 (notably ATI cards), like tessalation. They were not utilized, but the features were developed and implemented years ago.

Anyone playing the new Borderlands DLC? Those assassin chicks are kicking my ass.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]aethm[/nom]Please no more Farmville... I get 20 requests a day as it is![/citation]
just block the app! click the farmville name (instead of rejecting or accepting) - click the name again - in the left upper corner click 'block this application'

Because they are talking about the API as a whole, not just the D3D 11 chunk of DX11, and it's not limited to just the latest hardware. It adds and drops support for features on older hardware to improve the overall interface command & control.

They added legacy support for DX9 and DX10 hardware by updating some methods, and most importantly also better threading support as mentioned by Shin-san.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
"Basically Sid Meier says people are idiots, and don't understand ratios."

No, he said that our intuition about what numbers represent is different from simple ratio. Who said in the first place that combat is more likely to be represented as ratio in our mind? It is probably some other mathematical relationship than dimple ratio, as Sid has found.

And yes, it does feel that 200 to 100 should win with higher probability than 2 to 1, because mentally you think about 200 people versus 100 people, and while there could be a single guy who takes two just by chance, at larger numbers it should average out.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
So, will Civ5 be able to take full advantage of DX11? (I hope so!) I currently play Civ4 and really like it. I'll have to read the reviews once Civ5 comes out, but so far the changes sound great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS