GEAK Shows Eye and Mars: Smartphones for Photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
So more phones that take the same OK pictures as every other recent phone? Megapixels are nothing more than marketing nonsense at this point, along with max ISO speed. The MAIN limiter in phones, and even pocket cameras, is sensor size. I didn't see any mention of a larger CMOS sensor array in these, so I assume that they just packed more pixels into the same small form factor, thereby reducing the signal to noise ratio for each pixel, thereby reducing the image quality of each pixel.

For 95% of people, 6MPX is all they need, even for normal sized prints. Very few people need more than that, and they are usually professionals. Hell, I bet that 99% of digital images taken these days end up at 800x600 on some social network.

phalanxes

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
So what make these phones different from the other?
Nokia EOS/pureview is granted better for sure in terms of camera

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
megapixels don't mean squat. i can make any image the size of any resolution. give me a 2x2 pixel image, i will make it into a 18 MP photo. it is not an indicator of quality.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
The prices differ between the two products, but only a little, as the Eye sells for $326 and the Mars for $490, both off contract.
Well, a $164 difference is a lot given the prices. The costlier phone's price is 150% of the price of the cheaper one.

p3t3or

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
This is a very poor article. It has little to no information how these smartphones are for photographers. 13 megapixels can mean nothing but a big-ass ugly and noisy photograph taking up space on your device.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I've got an ancient 8mp consumer camera (Canon Powershot Pro1) that takes pictures FAR superior to anything you'll see in a smartphone today. Tiny cameras with tiny lenses will never take great pics (with current technology) according to Scotty and the laws of Physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.