Gearbox Asks Why You Hated Duke Nukem Forever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked DNF, but if you want some feedback I think my suggestions could really help.

1. FPS gamers like high end graphics so amp it up as much as possible without alienating those with high end cards that are only a little bit older. Today I think a game should be playable on an HD4870 or better.

2. Sure, Duke is cool but he needs to not say so. He needs to just act cool and have the attitude like "eh, it was nothing" or "no, big deal". He needs to be cool and modest like "that's just how I roll". And if you want the player to see how cool he is have other people in the game talk about his accoplishments or say they think he is so awesome/cool.

3. Although I enjoyed it, there was too much of the truck driving and not enough action.

4. I hate puzzles, trying to figure out where to go, jump here, now jump over there and other obsticle courses it's total BS, once again more action, less B.S.

5. I want to carry a full on arsenel not just 1 or two guns at a time.

6. A wider veriety of enimies would be nice. It always seemed I was killing either a pig or alien and if not one of those then I was fighting a HUGE boss.

7. Don't make a boaring gun one of the most powerful. Rocket launchers and grenade launchers are fun! OR even better than that are more imaginative guns like those in wrachet and clank games

What I liked:
1. Nudity (get rid of the alien boobs on the wall though)
2. Driving the truck was fun but don't overkill it, action is the most important aspect
3. The action sequences although rare, were good.

Other ideas/thoughts:
1. Keep the nudity but only on the ladies don't just put some alien boobs on the wall.
2. Crazy new guns
3. Allow mods
4. I think the game was waaay over hyped and was destined for failure. It's as if game reviewers were bitter about it taking so long.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
i dont know what went wrong,, it still gave me fun. but, maybe, i dont like the story, and less adventureous feeling (the same feeling as the original game,, so what can you expect more?).

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Um it was kinda slow, repetitive, not very challenging, the graphics sucked. the gameplay WAS very 90s. If I wanted to play something from that era, I'd just use an emulator.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]s997863[/nom]Why a survey? The net is full of professional and amateur text & video reviews & rants.Every developer shuold be read the feedback from gaming mags and websites to get feedback on their resleased games.[/citation]
Cause reviewers don't know a damn thing, just cause they say the game sux because it doesn't do what another game does, doesn't mean it is bad. The actual player base are the ones who decide whether it is good or not, not the reviewers, they are the ones you have to ask what went wrong and what they want. More game companies should figure this out.

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Well, just took the survey and the last question to me is where they missed the mark: "Rate the following items based on your preferences in a shooter." I didnt play DNF for a standard shooter, I played it to be different, a breath of fresh air in the FPS genere that is not over-saturated with clones, and all I got was the same crap. The new Turok sucked because, in my opinion, they took away the two things that made it unique, the insane platforming and the unique weapons. I can sum up the one thing that pissed me off about the game:

1- Don't make fun of other FPSes and then try to incorporate/mimic them. 3D Realms spent over a decade trying to create the "one perfect" shooter and that is subjective at best and impossible in reality. If I want puzzles, I will play Half-Life. If I want regening life, I would play Gears or Halo. If I want realism, I would play COD or Battlefield. Make Duke unique (Looks like Serious Sam 3 may replace Duke for this void).

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
The sad thing is, for some reason these reviewers just jumped on the haterade bandwagon and failed to acknowledge that DN:F still has a deeper, more varied gameplay system than CoD and Gears put together. All it takes is playing the demo to realize that.

bygbyron3

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Cause reviewers don't know a damn thing, just cause they say the game sux because it doesn't do what another game does, doesn't mean it is bad. The actual player base are the ones who decide whether it is good or not, not the reviewers, they are the ones you have to ask what went wrong and what they want. More game companies should figure this out.[/citation]Reviewers represent the player base and study games, I wish they'd actually represent the player base less and appreciate the artistic expression and technicality of a game's details more.

Never the less Duke Nukem Forever lacked any great art direction and was nothing impressive technically speaking. Nothing innovative at all. The crude humor and references earned about as many laughs as a $10 steam game would.

G

That survey really didn't give enough options for why DNF was bad. Where was the option for 'sluggish, poorly designed, confusing, and boring'?

G

I thought Duke Nukem Forever was just an average game, killing aliens, massive explosions, and guns. Just what I like to see in a video game. I can't actually say DNF wasn't all bad, it brought a lot of fun memories of the other Duke games like Duke 3D and Mahattan Project and all the others. What I believe should of been diffrenet for the game would be on the list I created here:

1)The title of the game should of stayed as 4EVER not FOREVER, cause it sounds weak.
2)The guns should of looked more like D3D's guns, the ripper should not like anAR-15 instaed change it back to its original form where its held like a minigun.
3)The Golden Eagle should of stayed and could of had the ability to duel weild it with his Golden M1911.
4)The pregnator should of been left out and replaced by D3D's "Protozoid slimers".
5)the aliens like the Assult Troopers/Captains, Enforcers, Battlelords, and the Cycloid Emperors should of had tails, Duke 3D had them like. Plus they look more human like versus Duke 3D's aliens.
6)The levels should go back to mazes where you have to look for the key cards and rescue babes along the way instaed of copying Halo or CoD's style.
7)The freeze thrower should of shot riocheting molecultes instaed of wimpy short beam, though its cool it can regenerate ammo.
8)Equip and power ups should back to D3D and have all the gear like scubba, jetpack, atomic boots, atomic health, armor, medkit, and so forth in SP and online.
9)Duke should of been able to carry all of the guns in the game like all the previous Duke installments.
10)I thought the Devastor looked nice on the Unreal Engine, but it shot too slow.
11)There was much too nonsense like flying or driving, they should of kept that to a bear minimum.
12)The levels should of had the self-destruct place in each one, I miss having to find that thing in Duke 3D.
13)The guns and bombs in the game should of had their original ammo limit like 200 pistol, 50 shotgun, 50 pipebombs, and so own.... it ain't as fun any more. :(
14)I wished the game should of had off-line multiplayer and a off-line cooperative story like Duke 64, you don't see that any more cause the newer games kind-of suck and need something new this.

The list I made would of been nice to see for this Duke game and Ihave a cool idea for DN5

G

Honestly I think it was a good game for the audience it was trying to come across to. Those who never played 3d I think just didn't get it. Now I agree some of the car/puzzles was a pita cause all I wanted to do was blow shit up in ludicrous fashions while hearing duke talk shit but you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.