Geforce 1050ti power draw lie ?

kieranmccarron78

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
Hello everyone. First post and but have always used this forum as my "go to" for years so thanks to all.
I have a query. At Christmas I built my daughter a mid rang gaming/graphic art PC. These are the parts I choose (budget was medium)
AMD 8350
16GB 1600mhz
1050t GPU (no PCI-e)
M5A78L-M/USB3
EVO Labs 650w switching power supply
there are also 3 light fans 120mm

Everything was working fine but the power supply died in the week and I assumed stupidly it seems I could replace with a spare PSU I had laying around that I tested and was stable. It seems it was TOO WEAK for the 1050ti even though it supposedly uses very little power (75w from PCIE) The computer would switch off once starting and game but tested with my own more powerful and was fine.

The one I tried had was an "Ace 550BR Switching PSU" which oddly does not have a PCIE cable...
+3.3 = 24A
+5V = 24A
+12V1 = 14A
+12V2 = 14A
-12 = 0.3A
+5Vsa= 2A

Now to my eyes that looks like should easily run it...can some explain to me where I am wrong as I am buying a new one and would like to both get recommendations as well learn why I am wrong.

Thanks in Advance

K

Solution
they are no name PSU's made with cheap components here is a list of well known PSU's but you have to pay more for them generally but you get quality units.
PSU Tier list tier 1-2 are good for gaming

rmx/i
Evga g2/g3
Seasonic focus/prime
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
I would recommend an EVGA SuperNova Gold G2 / or new G3 /GS / GQ, Platinum P2 / PS, or Titanium T2 or a Seasonic M12-II Evo or S12-II
GOOD PSU EVGA is a B2, G2, G3, P2, GS, PS, or T2. Avoid the EVGA B1 and G1 series/ I bought a EVGA G3 with 7year garentee
they are no name PSU's made with cheap components here is a list of well known PSU's but you have to pay more for them generally but you get quality units.
PSU Tier list tier 1-2 are good for gaming

rmx/i
Evga g2/g3
Seasonic focus/prime
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
I would recommend an EVGA SuperNova Gold G2 / or new G3 /GS / GQ, Platinum P2 / PS, or Titanium T2 or a Seasonic M12-II Evo or S12-II
GOOD PSU EVGA is a B2, G2, G3, P2, GS, PS, or T2. Avoid the EVGA B1 and G1 series/ I bought a EVGA G3 with 7year garentee

Solution
You can mostly ignore +3.3v and +5v rails, what matters the most are +12v rails, which are 28A combined, meaning that the PSU can output 28A*12v = 336W for your CPU, GPU, motherboard, fans and add-on cards combined.

This is a horrible PSU in terms of quality, by the way, and 336W I mentioned are likely exaggarated by at least 30%, if not more. I'd say that this PSU can supply 250W in practice.

Your CPU can easily pull 125-150W alone, add in the GPU, motherboard and other stuff and.... do the math. It is not enough.

As suggested above, get a quality unit which does not lie about true wattage.

ACE A-550BR has only 22A on 12V rail. That is 264W. Nowhere close to 550W.
EVO Labs 650w has 20A+20A on 12V rail, so less than 480W. Again nowhere close to 650W.

Can only suggest you to choose decent quality PSU. Your previous choices are obviously really bad ones.
$_86.JPG

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If the amps available on the 12V rail don't equate to anything close to the total rated wattage of the PSU, you probably have a crappy PSU. If a "550W" PSU doesn't have any PCIe power cables, you probably have a crappy PSU.

In short, your PSU is lying about power, not your graphics card...

kieranmccarron78

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
I always thought EvoLabs was decent make ...well there there you go :/
I understand now ...
thanks for all the advice and suggestions

So how much would I actually need PSU wattage wise in a good make of PSU with those components ?