Geforce 2 MX from Creative Labs

G

Is Tom's Hardware going to review this video card? It is supposed to have DDR memory but no specs on the speed of it. I find Creative as a leader in quality products especially with stability. I wanted to know the performance of this card before i consider purchasing. Thanks

G

I got that card last week, and I must be doing something wrong because my 3Dmark2000 score has dropped!

I'm running an Abit BX6-II with a Celeron 400@450. With my old card, a Diamond V770 Ultra (TNT2U) i got a score of approx. 1400. With the new card, i get around 1200?!?
I'm using Det. 6.31 drivers.

I know that the processor isn't able to feed the graphics card fast enough, but the score shouldn't drop...

G

I'll tell you what you need to know about the card. NVidia, to ensure that this stays a value card, crippled the GF2 MX by giving it a 128bit pipeline to the memory with SDRAM and making it 64bit with DDR-SDRAM to effectively nullify any real world performance gains to adding DDR memory. I tried one of these out and it gets blown away by the Hercules 3DProphet2 MX. It's like the L2 cache performance between a P3 and a T-Bird. The awesome L2 on the Pentium really outdoes the T-Bird's because of its 256 bit data path. (well that and the fact that the branch prediction unit on the T-Bird's sucks horriblya problem that should be rectified with the new core revision due out next year *shakes in anticipation*)

G

Uh... but the T-bird performs better than the P3 in 90% of tests, including gaming.

G

I had a creative TNT2 ultra and bought the creative geforce MX. I don't think my score changed at all - BX6-2, P3 600 256 RAM, win 2000, I got 2910 (about 2780 before with ultra).
I would have bought the ASUS 7100 with sdram if there had been a write up here :(

Thanks
Eggy.

G

Anyone knows of a site that has reviewed the card?

The DDR bottleneck is a major concern, and I was just about ready to purchase the Creative Geforce 2 MX... looks like i will have to get the Asus 7100 if that happens to be true...

G

Try the following site:

www.tbreak.com/reviews/hardware/graphics/geforceultramx

G

Thanx man, but that won´t do, unfortunately. It has to be a review that actually compares the card with another mx card, with SDR memory.

G

read this, its not there but you can compare it to the others. They are designed to the same specs probably except for faster DDR memory.http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q3/000904/index.html

G

I just bought one of these and I am beyond disappointed. I bought the card to boost my performance in many of my games and yet I can't get the card to go beyond 25 fps in Unreal Tournament. And yes, I have tried about a million things to make it work properly, to no avail. I guess I'll work on it and see if I can make it work. If I can't, I've got 13 more days to return the sucker.

G

The whole point is checking what performance gain or loss the creative card has, since it uses ddr memory instead of SDR.

only a review that compares the card with another mx card will do...

G

The Creative Labs GeForce 2 MX with DDR memory is slower than other GeForce MX's. How? Take a look:

Creative DDR MX is only clocked at lousy 143MHz DDR. That is approximately equivalent 286 MHZ SDR. However, the memory bus is only 64 bits. That gives a bandwidth of :

143 MHz * 2 (DDR) * 64 bits = 2.288 Gbytes/sec
166 MHz * 1 (SDR) * 128 bits = 2.656 Gbytes/sec

The other MXs are clocked at 166 MHz SDR, but have a 128 bit bus. Thus they have a higher bandwidth. At lower resolutions then, a DDR MX from Creative should be the same as a SDR MX since bandwidth is not an issue. At higher resolutions, the bandwidth will come into play. The Creative DDR MX will perform worse.

Lifeguard1999

My other computers are:
544 CPU Cray T3E, 512 IBM SMP, 512 SGI O3K, etc.
and yours are?

G

And to think they are hiping their exclusive DDR design as the greatest thing since sliced bread on their website...

hello ASUS v7100, i´m on my way!

G

They are all the same... Its just like the GTS or the Ultra, they are all using the same chips and the same ram for the most part with minor minor differences... you can go with creative or you could go with elsa or you could go with joe shmoe, you arent going to see but a 0-5 fps difference if there is one at all... I looked at the asus one and compared it to a nvidia reference board ( just a noname cheap MX ) and the noname does the job the same way. All you are paying for is the software that comes along or the 3d glasses or just the name maybe, dont waste your time worrying which one is better... if you like games go with creative and get a bundle, if you like cheap get a noname.. either way you arent going to lose.

G

Umm...Try Gamecenter.com, they've been reviewing a few geforces recently

G

Lifeguard hit the nail on the head! Unbelievable, the Hercules MX completly DESTROYS the creative card!

check out the review at tbreak.com