Question Geforce 2070 Mini Super Frame Lag In Certain Games

Sep 26, 2022
Okay, so I’ve been having this issue, the moba, cpu, and gpu were just pulled out of my friends build and put in mine, they were confirmed to work in his with no frame issues, with no overclocking as well. I have tried many different things, updated bios, updated every windows update, set nvidia graphics card to max performance and max usage, and in GMod and The forest it acts perfect. I get into CSGO or Valorant and it has frame lag. The confusing thing is they all worked in my friends system but mine it’s laggy. This is with a 2070 super mini card. I really need help and have been trying to 15 hours no solutions. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled windows and the drivers but still nothing. Thank you for the help this is my build list.

Moba- msi z170a gaming m7
Cpu i7- 7700k 4.2ghz
Ram- 16gb ddr4
Gpu- 2070 super mini
Psu- 700w gold certified

Sep 26, 2022
Are you using the same cooler? What temps are you getting?

Have you enabled XMP in the BIOS? What speed is your RAM? Is it the same?

What is the exact model of you PSU and its age?

I don’t think Xmp is enabled but I did overclock the cpu to 4.8 and it did nothing ram is 3200mhs, psu is a evea 700 80 plus gold certified both ram and psu and cooler are brand new got two days ago. The cooler is a ID Cooling SE914-XT, and I’m running about 36-37 celcius on the cpu and around 40 on the gpu when running csgo. My ssd and hardrive are old and the hardrive was making weird noises sometimes. Someone said that I should put it just the brand new ssd I have and load windows onto it because they’ve seen them cause frame issues which is weird to me

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I don’t think Xmp is enabled but I did overclock the cpu to 4.8 and it did nothing ram is 3200mhs, psu is a evea 700 80 plus gold certified both ram and psu and cooler are brand new got two days ago. The cooler is a ID Cooling SE914-XT, and I’m running about 36-37 celcius on the cpu and around 40 on the gpu when running csgo. My ssd and hardrive are old and the hardrive was making weird noises sometimes. Someone said that I should put it just the brand new ssd I have and load windows onto it because they’ve seen them cause frame issues which is weird to me

If XMP is not activated then it will run at 2400 default which will make a difference in games.

Also if your games are on an old HDD this may not help and the SSD would be a much better choice. I would not really use a HDD for anything other than storage of files and folders nowdays.

If the old hard drive is making noises it could be a number of things but very rarely good. How full is the HDD. It might be worth downloading something like crystalDiskInfo and having a look at the drives health.

For the best performance then windows, programs and games will be on the SSD due to massively increased access times.

What did your friend have his games installed on?

Sep 26, 2022
If XMP is not activated then it will run at 2400 default which will make a difference in games.

Also if your games are on an old HDD this may not help and the SSD would be a much better choice. I would not really use a HDD for anything other than storage of files and folders nowdays.

If the old hard drive is making noises it could be a number of things but very rarely good. How full is the HDD. It might be worth downloading something like crystalDiskInfo and having a look at the drives health.

For the best performance then windows, programs and games will be on the SSD due to massively increased access times.

What did your friend have his games installed on?

I have mine installed on the ssd but it’s about full and it’s an old 256 Samsung out of my aurora r4 and same with the hdd. Hdd isn’t too full it’s a 1 tb and has like 400 gigs used and I haven’t put anything on it yet. I can take both of them out, install new windows on my new ssd and try that and reinstall the drivers and stuff, and I’ll enable xmp. My friend never overclocked this cpu but doing that didn’t even help my cause when I tried it

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Quite often ssd performance can drop off when they are very full - certainly with older models and controllers.

A computer is obviously more than just a processors speed and by having your ram run more slowly or drive performance lowered then these are likely to have an impact.

It is often why it is dangerous to compare direct performance across two machines as there are lots of variables that can affect things.

I would utilise your new SSD with a vanilla copy of Windows with all required drivers. Enable XMP and do not mess around with any overclocks (which can also seem stable but degrade performance) and see where you are.

I take it you are both using the same resolution monitor?

Sep 26, 2022
Quite often ssd performance can drop off when they are very full - certainly with older models and controllers.

A computer is obviously more than just a processors speed and by having your ram run more slowly or drive performance lowered then these are likely to have an impact.

It is often why it is dangerous to compare direct performance across two machines as there are lots of variables that can affect things.

I would utilise your new SSD with a vanilla copy of Windows with all required drivers. Enable XMP and do not mess around with any overclocks (which can also seem stable but degrade performance) and see where you are.

mine is a 75hz I believe he has a 144 but I disabled vsync on games and in the gpu, currently I just have the ssd in and I’m loading a vanilla windows on it, gonna set it up, enable xmp then I will download just steam and csgo and see if something changed

Reactions: MEMOFLEX
Sep 26, 2022

yeah new ssd and everything you said didn’t work. It must be the cpu I’m feeling it’s just confusing to me. Should I just get a i9 10900k and new moba?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Annoying. When you say frame lag can you confirm exactly what you mean?

Only reason I ask is if your friend is using 144hz monitor and yours is 75hz then the perception of how it is running will seem quite different. I certainly notice the step back.

I am not a massive fan of userbenchmark but it may be worth running it to see what it says. Also trying something like 3dmark just to get an idea of performance comparison.

Regarding the upgrade then whilst a 7700k is showing its age a bit for games like CSGO you should be more than fine. At this stage I wouldn't go for a 10th gen unless you are getting a very very good deal.

Sep 26, 2022

Only reason I ask is if your friend is using 144hz monitor and yours is 75hz then the perception of how it is running will seem quite different. I certainly notice the step back.

I am not a massive fan of userbenchmark but it may be worth running it to see what it says. Also trying something like 3dmark just to get an idea of performance comparison.

Regarding the upgrade then whilst a 7700k is showing its age a bit for games like CSGO you should be more than fine. At this stage I wouldn't go for a 10th gen unless you are getting a very very good deal.

as in frame lag it’s low frames on ultra low settings while gmod runs fine, and when I play it’s like it’s running 20-30fps with randomly skips in fps here and there. If I can’t figure this out I’m thinking getting a i7 11700k instead my friend who just gave me this 2070 super after he got the 3090 said it was perfect on that setup. But the 2070 also ran on this setup no issues…

Sep 26, 2022

so I did a benchmark test, the cpu scored 1,030 with 3.46fps avg and the gpu was 4,880 with 31.20 fps and 28.46 fps. That’s bad and I know, is the cpu bad? Just not running up to part?