[SOLVED] GeForce 210 Overheats and Fan dosen’t spin

kryhtz

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
So I recently got a EVGA GeForce 210 card off of eBay for 19 bucks. I talked to the seller, and It did work so I was a little confused. The seller said the fan was rather loud. Minor detail, he pulled it from a ASUS PC. I am considering returning it, but I just bought new low profile brackets for it that were 12 bucks so and I idiotically threw out the old bracket. When I turn on the PC the fan spins abruptly, then just stops. What I thought is that the fan has power, something just won’t let it spin. Is there I bios update or a wiring issue that stops it? I’m really worried because I spent 31 bucks on a card that can’t even run roblox at mid settings.

Solution
The 210 is going to be marginally better then Intel Integrated graphics.

As far as the fan not spinning, you could test it by unplugging the fan from the card, using a 9V battery and some wires and see if it will spin. (it wont hurt the fan as its a 12V fan) If it does then something else is going on.

If it is the fan you can buy replacement fans (I believe it s a 50mm fan, just measure its diameter to be sure) for 4 or 5 dollars but honestly I don't think its worth the cost. Here's an example of the fan you would need
https://www.coolerguys.com/products...1vpwpsSnTh7kNFv5vAGmAC_Nv2zfbkjhoCv50QAvD_BwE...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That card's fan should run all the time when powered up. Might have to return it with the L-P brackets if the seller will let you. And yes, it is over heating because the fan isn't running.
Have you tried cleaning it? manually spinning the fan to see if it is hitting something?

kryhtz

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
That card's fan should run all the time when powered up. Might have to return it with the L-P brackets if the seller will let you. And yes, it is over heating because the fan isn't running.
Have you tried cleaning it? manually spinning the fan to see if it is hitting something?
thanks for the reply! Yeah I cleaned it earlier and even took it apart to get parts that might be affecting it. Main problem with returns is I can’t return the 12$ brackets, so instead of getting 31$ back, I’ll only be getting 19$ back. But what ya get is what ya get. So thanks for the suggestion. I’m going to try a few more methods. Lastly, at one point it started spinning and working, just at a really slow speed and the GPU was heating up, so that could be considered progress.

kryhtz

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
The GT 210 is not a gaming card so your expectations of what you are going to get in any game should be set very low. Honestly for 10 bucks more you coul have gotten something like a GTX 750ti which would have been a much more powerful card
On eBay I was looking for one of those.. at the time my budget was 20-25$ And I would much have preferred a 750ti anyways..

As far as the fan not spinning, you could test it by unplugging the fan from the card, using a 9V battery and some wires and see if it will spin. (it wont hurt the fan as its a 12V fan) If it does then something else is going on.

If it is the fan you can buy replacement fans (I believe it s a 50mm fan, just measure its diameter to be sure) for 4 or 5 dollars but honestly I don't think its worth the cost. Here's an example of the fan you would need
https://www.coolerguys.com/products...1vpwpsSnTh7kNFv5vAGmAC_Nv2zfbkjhoCv50QAvD_BwE

If you have spare thermal paste around you could also try and pull off the heat sink, clean off the old paste and apply new and see if that helps. Most 210s are passively cooled.

The third option is you place a space case fan to blow across or use zip ties to fasten it to the GPU and that should be enough to cool it.

Solution

kryhtz

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020

https://www.coolerguys.com/products...1vpwpsSnTh7kNFv5vAGmAC_Nv2zfbkjhoCv50QAvD_BwE

If you have spare thermal paste around you could also try and pull off the heat sink, clean off the old paste and apply new and see if that helps. Most 210s are passively cooled.

The third option is you place a space case fan to blow across or use zip ties to fasten it to the GPU and that should be enough to cool it.
Thanks! I will try some of these!