GeForce 6200SE TurboCache replacement

ttocsmij

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
The old girl is throwing freezes and BSoDs on a regular basis these days. Latest driver had no effect on the BSoDs so I'm guessing it's a hardware component nearing EoL.

What would be a good current replacement in the "keep it around $150 or less" neighborhood. To be honest, all these different PCI specs confuse the h*** out of me so I figured I'd come to the expert's dojo for straight talk (instead of Big Buy for salesman jibber jabber).

System is a stock H-P m7357c desktop (including the original WinXP MCE 2005 now at SP3). No extreme gaming involved (though I might get SimCity for my grandson) so water cooling and hyper-clocking are not necessary. LoL

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Look at the 650 Ti this is entry level gaming card lowest I would reccomend. 650 Ti boost is much better but is hitting you price limit. I just looked this board has 1 PCI-E version 1 16x slot so you should be able to stick about any card in there. Tell us what power supply you have that might be your biggest issue.

ttocsmij

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
The stock power supply was 300W as I recall (it isn't mentioned on the H-P spec sheet).

Wondering if you think ASUS GTX650-E-2GD5 would be a good replacement. It is in the <75W category so perhaps power supply becomes a non-issue. As you mentioned, it should be backwards compatible. And it has a VGA connector so nothing changes at my end, cable-wise. Even if all the bells and whistles are not called into play, it is sure to be head and shoulders above the old gal (the 6200SE). Your thoughts?

A nVidia GTX 650 (not the Ti version) or the Radeon HD 7750 should suffice and are capable of running off of a 300w PSU.

Overall the GTX is marginally faster than the Radeon; like by 2% overall. However, actual performance difference varies by the game. They are mainstream performance cards and are relatively inexpensive. The Radeon HD 7750 can generally be bought for under $100. There are two different versions; one with DDR3 RAM and one with the faster DDR5 RAM. Lowest prices I recall are $75 after rebate for the DDR3 version and $85 for the DDR5 version after rebate. The performance difference should be no more than 10%. The GTX 650 can be bought for just below $100 if there is a rebate involved.

ttocsmij

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Ach! I never got back to this thread! Sorry. Tried both the 650 and 7750 suggestions, as well as a couple others. What happened was all the new cards insisted on loading up new audio drivers that turned OFF the internal audio chip!! No one more amazed than I (or the respective tech supports). We installed the latest drivers from HP, Realtek, nVidia and Radeon. We tried older drivers. I finally gave up, returned everything, and limped along from BSOD to BSOD until I could accumulate the change for a new system in 2014. Horrors, the new system came as Win7 and some of my old programs absolutely refused to run under Win7 so I still have to use the old girl sometimes. In fact, I've got another query making the rounds here about replacing the mobo but that's another thread. Thanks for your kind advice anyhow.