Question Geforce 970 to RTX 3060TI Upgrade Issues

Dec 28, 2022
Hello everyone, I think this is my first time posting here. So, please let me know if you need more than the below information. So, I recently upgraded my graphics card from a GeForce 970 to a RTX 3060 Ti. Now that the prices are semi reasonable, I figured that snagging one during the black Friday sales would be a good idea. It took a while because of life, but I finally got to installing it.

Initially it just didn't display anything. I tried using DDU to remove the past drivers with no luck. I eventually decided to try updating the BIOS on the motherboard, since that had fixed a pervious problem with the CPU. It worked! Video came to life and everything seemed great. I installed the newest drivers for the card.

I excitedly ran the Steam VR analysis software and had it basically indicate that the new graphics card was worse than the 970. I was surprised to say the least. I noticed the system lagging a bit. I opened the Task Manager and noticed that the GPU's 3D graph kept jumping up to 100% for a bit and going down at the same time as the lag spikes.

I tried a few different things, eventually ending up in the BIOS since someone had suggested that maybe the lag had something to do with memory settings. Come to find out, the BIOs had reset to where the 3200 memory was running at around 2000. I fiddled with the settings to make it clock at the correct 3200. It did change that, but it didn't fix the issue.

I also noticed that the BIOS was lagging. I read that some recent BIOS updates for the motherboard caused such issues. So I tried reverting to progressively older BIOS versions. The issue seemed to just get worse with each past version. I'm really not sure what is going wrong. I was wondering if any of you had some ideas or suggestions?

In case you are curious, I just used DDU in safe mode to clear the drivers. I removed the LAN cable, let it restart, and installed the drivers. It still has the same issues as before.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3rd Gen - RYZEN 7 3700X Matisse (Zen 2) 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000071BOX Desktop Processor
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Gaming Motherboard AMD AM4 SATA 6Gb/s M.2 USB 3.2 Gen 2 HDMI ATX
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-64GVK
Storage: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1
Video Card: MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Video Card RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 3X 8G OC LHR
Power Supply: Corsair RM850i

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
Hello everyone, I think this is my first time posting here. So, please let me know if you need more than the below information. So, I recently upgraded my graphics card from a GeForce 970 to a RTX 3060 Ti. Now that the prices are semi reasonable, I figured that snagging one during the black Friday sales would be a good idea. It took a while because of life, but I finally got to installing it.

Initially it just didn't display anything. I tried using DDU to remove the past drivers with no luck. I eventually decided to try updating the BIOS on the motherboard, since that had fixed a pervious problem with the CPU. It worked! Video came to life and everything seemed great. I installed the newest drivers for the card.

I excitedly ran the Steam VR analysis software and had it basically indicate that the new graphics card was worse than the 970. I was surprised to say the least. I noticed the system lagging a bit. I opened the Task Manager and noticed that the GPU's 3D graph kept jumping up to 100% for a bit and going down at the same time as the lag spikes.

I tried a few different things, eventually ending up in the BIOS since someone had suggested that maybe the lag had something to do with memory settings. Come to find out, the BIOs had reset to where the 3200 memory was running at around 2000. I fiddled with the settings to make it clock at the correct 3200. It did change that, but it didn't fix the issue.

I also noticed that the BIOS was lagging. I read that some recent BIOS updates for the motherboard caused such issues. So I tried reverting to progressively older BIOS versions. The issue seemed to just get worse with each past version. I'm really not sure what is going wrong. I was wondering if any of you had some ideas or suggestions?

In case you are curious, I just used DDU in safe mode to clear the drivers. I removed the LAN cable, let it restart, and installed the drivers. It still has the same issues as before.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3rd Gen - RYZEN 7 3700X Matisse (Zen 2) 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000071BOX Desktop Processor
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Gaming Motherboard AMD AM4 SATA 6Gb/s M.2 USB 3.2 Gen 2 HDMI ATX
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-64GVK
Storage: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1
Video Card: MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Video Card RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 3X 8G OC LHR

AMD processors don't behave very well with the 4 slots of ram being used, I honestly don't know how to solve this problem if we ponder this.

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022

Try using only 2 sticks of ram to do dual channel, to see if the problem persists .

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
It has operated just fine for the last few years with 4 sticks of RAM, but I'll try it with just two tomorrow.

Yes, I'm not saying that it doesn't work, but it can present problems for whatever reason, I've seen many members here with 4 memories installed, but to clarify that this could be the cause. It could also be a firmware issue on motherboard.

Dec 29, 2022
Hey bm2150ty,

I have similar issue here. Just bought "MSI Ventus 2 GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 OC edition" to increase some of my graphic potential.. but does just the oposite. I came from a 980Ti.

I updated all drivers already both from motherboard as from GPU. But this did not help.

My FPS are very unstable and even worse than with the previous card. Also my sounds gets like "crispy" noise to it for whatever reason.

Does it has something to do with combination of new gen GPU with older motherboard and so on ??..

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard: Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac)/USB 3.1
Memory: 16GB DDR3
Video Card: MSI Ventus 2 GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 OC edition
Power Supply: 650W

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
Hey bm2150ty,

I have similar issue here. Just bought "MSI Ventus 2 GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 OC edition" to increase some of my graphic potential.. but does just the oposite. I came from a 980Ti.

I updated all drivers already both from motherboard as from GPU. But this did not help.

My FPS are very unstable and even worse than with the previous card. Also my sounds gets like "crispy" noise to it for whatever reason.

Does it has something to do with combination of new gen GPU with older motherboard and so on ??..

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard: Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac)/USB 3.1
Memory: 16GB DDR3
Video Card: MSI Ventus 2 GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 OC edition
Power Supply: 650W

You have a 4th generation processor, it's normal not to be able to perform at the maximum with this graphics.
Your processor is already too weak for that graphics!
Bottleneck 19% -

Dec 28, 2022
Yes, I'm not saying that it doesn't work, but it can present problems for whatever reason, I've seen many members here with 4 memories installed, but to clarify that this could be the cause. It could also be a firmware issue on motherboard.

Ok, I had a chance to remove two of the memory modules. It didn’t really do much to fix the issue. I appreciate the suggestion, it was one I hadn’t thought of.

It could be firmware I tried the latest motherboard firmware first. Compared to what I have now (after going backwards) it was mildly better than what I have now. It still was crap, but not as terrible crap. 😁

What would you suggest that I try next? The BIOS is actually laggier than the OS, which is a new one for me.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
Please don't hijack the thread

@bm2150ty

I think the lag in the BIOS is concerning. By resolving this I think that your problem on windows will be resolved too.

microstuttering + cracks in sound leads to either
sound driver update
chipset driver update
Bios update
check if you have a setting called "HPET"in your bios (High Precision Event Timer ) , if so disable it
try to disable the sound adapter from your bios. I have seen wierd issues like this before. If the stuttering disapears, well maybe try to reactivate it and update the sound drivers

If it's not better, reset you BIOS settings to "optimized defaults, save and quit then re-enter in the BIOS.
if it's not better, try to unplug EVERYTHING that's not necessary. just keep the keyboard, power, and monitor. still laggy in BIOS ?
if it still laggy, try to install the graphics card in another PCIe slot. still laggy in BIOS ?

Last edited:

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
Ok, I had a chance to remove two of the memory modules. It didn’t really do much to fix the issue. I appreciate the suggestion, it was one I hadn’t thought of.

It could be firmware I tried the latest motherboard firmware first. Compared to what I have now (after going backwards) it was mildly better than what I have now. It still was crap, but not as terrible crap. 😁

What would you suggest that I try next? The BIOS is actually laggier than the OS, which is a new one for me.

Send the board for RMA, as I said it could be a firmware problem at the code level. We can start there, as you have no way to test the pc with other components.

bm2150ty Hello. In order to troubleshoot, please do the following two things for me: (1) Download a software utility to check the CPU temps, CPU utilization, GPU utilization. I'm wondering if the new GPU is generating enough heat inside your case to thermal throttle your R7 3700X. HwMonitor is a utility that I personally like. (2) Take two photos: One of the side of your power supply label (with all the voltage figures), and the other of the entire inside of your computer build. The second photo is so that I can get a good idea of your case's airflow.