Geforce FX 6600GT new driver problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kelpfarmer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
my card comes OC from the factory

I havent monitored my cards temperatures, as i have a core slowdown threshold set to 127C (by default) with a notification if this is exceeded. Although 127C seems a bit high to me it is the default setting and I haven't seen any sign of the notification. This sugests the power supply is most likely to be the cause of the fault. Having checked a few PSU suppliers it seems that 18 amp 12v rails do exist, but not on all PSU's. Infact it seems quite common for a PSU with two 12V rails to have a different ampage on each rail!

Should i set my threshold lower or is 127C a safe operating temp for the 6600gt gpu?

linux_0

Splendid
Your PSU should have a sticker on it with the claimed performance specs.
Your actual specs may vary quite a bit if it's a generic PSU.

If it is an ANTEC, OCZ, etc then you probably have nothing to worry about.

Keep in mind however that even factory OC'ed cards are not always stable.

You might want to try changing the GPU and memory clocks to stock speed and see if it is more stable.

Then you can gradually increase them until you find out how high it will go without stability problems.

Good luck!

Semper fi Linux on

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Hi again!

Now I managed to start BF2! I dont know if this is the solution but I turned sound hardware acceleration to OFF and now I manage to start the game normally, and if I run it with low settings on graphics and sound I can play sort of normally with some random sound stuttering and a couple of crashes to Windows. What do you guys think, can the Sound hardware acceleration have been the issue?

Best Regards.

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Yes the SoundCard works fine in DXdiag, BUT I have noticed that the sound in Windows media files is getting sort of noisy if I close a movie while playing just when i close it. Also in BF2 mentioned before the sound hangs upp like BRRRRRRRRRR together with the graphics fore some seconds sometimes. I use a Audiotrak Maya soundcard, it is made for music production.

To kelpfarmer

Go lower, a lot lower (although leave the setting where it is, just find out what it is really doing) , the artefacts sound like artefacts from overclocking, my 6600GT produces artefacts when overclocked but only after a while, typically it max's out at about 80-85C and is OK. I think that the 127 limit will mean that it will work again once it has cooled down substantially, but may not work properly at that temp (don't quote me on that, I would not be happy with anything above 90C, its just not natural if you know what I mean :wink: )

There is some software called rivatuner that allows you to log the temp of the GPU as a background task and store it so that you can interrogate it later, it is worth installing just to check.

Doepfer:

Stumped again I am afraid, the BRRRR noise sounds like the system kind of freezing for a second (I'm sure there is a more technical explanation) run taskmanager and see what your processor utilisation is whilst it does this, it might be max'd out causing the stalling of the system, which would suggest that something is not working properly. Reinstall sound drivers anyway? reinstall directX (I've never had to uninstall it before I don't know if it is possible)

All I can say is good luck right now... have you tried posting on BF2 forums?

Kelpfarmer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
thnx for the advice, on testing, my gpu temp was peaking at 109! Although this didnt seem to coincide with the problems, I will dig out an old pci slot cooler I have and see if that solves the problem.

Loup Garou

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I had similar crashing problems with my 6600 until I reinstalled my audio card driver.

Took my a week to find the problem but everything is runing fine now.
Good luck

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
You may not have a AGP 2.0 compliant slot. I had almost the same problem a few years ago when I switched from a geforce 3 to a geforce5700. You might try going to your motherboard manufacturer's website and looking for a bios update. You may also check to make sure that you have a strong enough +12v line on your power supply. I would check for bios updates first, and then if that doesn't help, try a better PSU. If that doesn't fix it you may just have to get a new mobo. Thats what I ended up doing. And if you upgrade you may as well take the card back and make the switch to PCIe.