GeForce GT 430: The HTPC Crowd Gets Fermi On A Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
Anybody use HTPC state side with a satallite/cable provider? cable card? are you able to decode OnDemand and Premium Channels in the United States?

Because it seems like HTPC's primary options are services like Hulu and Netflix.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Not impressed.....at all.

Its not like Nvidia was racing AMD to the market here so I fail to see why they insist on pushing out a product that is not priced competitively.

Heck Nvidia's new product isnt even priced appropriately against their last generation cards much less AMDs year old offerings.

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
[citation][nom]fausto[/nom]Anybody use HTPC state side with a satallite/cable provider? cable card? are you able to decode OnDemand and Premium Channels in the United States?Because it seems like HTPC's primary options are services like Hulu and Netflix.[/citation]

I have used the HTPC cards and they don't work with Sat/ATT companies for OnDemand. They are basically good for 720p 1080p formats

neilnh

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
[citation][nom]fausto[/nom]Anybody use HTPC state side with a satallite/cable provider? cable card? are you able to decode OnDemand and Premium Channels in the United States?Because it seems like HTPC's primary options are services like Hulu and Netflix.[/citation]

I use my HTPC for OTA HD networks (Fox, ABC, NBC, etc), Hulu, ESPN3, Blu-ray, and DVD-rips. I get HD on most of the shows I watch, and Hulu doesn't look bad for the others. There are very few gaps, but some would care a lot about them... HBO, NFL network, ESPN content that isn't available on ESPN3. Overall though, no monthly fee for all my TV with HD DVR... I like it. Some people use cable cards, but my whole reason for going the HTPC route was to save money, not pay more.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
The only reason for this card is if you actually watch 3D Bluray, for anything else the 5670 seems way better.

I have a 55" 3d TV but hate the glasses so much I can't ever see myself using 3D playback. I'd go for 5670 just for the occasional gaming session.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Page 1, in reference to GT 220 comparison:
the new GeForce GT 430 has an obvious advantage over its predecessor in the form of one-third more shader cores and a 75 MHz-higher core clock
96 shader cores is only one-third more than 48? Looks more like 100% more (or twice as many) to me...

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Page 1, in reference to GT 220 comparison:96 shader cores is only one-third more than 48? Looks more like 100% more (or twice as many) to me...[/citation]

Thanks! Fixed.

chovav

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
how about doing some CUDA calculations? like converting video and checking the differences between the cards. The best will be ofcourse to do this with a program compatible with both CUDA and STREAM..

"The good news is that there are no bad GeForce or Radeon cards anymore; there are only inappropriate prices. "
Bottom line, I think this is an entirely reasonable assessment. And this card is about $20 too high for what it offers.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Sooo...it's a fermi why? *sigh* well i suppose for your average consumers this can work out ok, but i don't think this is something I'd buy for me. Maybe for one of my customers, lol.

philiprudd

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
It's like back in the day's with a geforce fx 5200 it is just not a card for the gamer and for that price you can pick up a 250gts and 4850 and if you still want to use for HTPC get the radeon cards.

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I know the GT 430 is being aimed at HTPC, but the whole bottom end of the Fermi lineup is looking fairly unimpressive. Anything less that a 460 just doesn't seem to live up to expectations and I don't see that changing as their line is filled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.