GeForce GTS 250: Nvidia's G92 Strikes Again

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
hmm, interesting.. nice to know nvidia is keeping up with the mainstream market :). i love competition, keep bringin those prices down!!! w000t!

jthome

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I would like to see how a 4830 CF set up stacks up. As of today on newegg, you could grab 2 4830s for $160 after rebates (granted, you'd have to get them from 2 separate vendors since you can usually only get 1 rebate per product but it could still be done for $160). No doubt these'll be cheaper once AMD cuts the prices after the GTX 250 comes out too.

At any rate, this is pretty close to the expected $150 price point of the GTX 250. As Nerr alluded to, the 4830s offer stout overclocking potential and appear to be able to hit 700mhz consistently. And, I've seen benchmarks where 2 4830s beats a 4870 1GB version by a decent margin as well.

Now that AMDs board prices are getting pretty low and CF capable motherboards are a little more pervasive than in the past, I'd like to see some comprehensive CF tests, i.e. a 4830 1GB version paired with a 4830 512; 2x 4830 512s; 2x 4830 1GBs; and so on with the 4850s/4870s as well to see how they stack up against price comparable single card solutions. To me, 2 4830s seem very attractive right now when overclocked.

morpheas768

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]anonymous x[/nom]designated card (at the time)This card is just to occupy the gap between the 240 and 260 cards.[/citation]

Ahem.. There isn't any 240 cards right now pal.
maybe Nvidia plans to release a 240, (Who knows), but there isn't such a thing at the moment.

samprasfan

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Something I wish got mentioned more is software reliability/stability. I had a lot of ATI cards in the 90s/early 2000s, and they were all really prone to crashes compared to the Nvidias I had. Eventually I just stopped buying them, it wasn't worth my computer frequently crashing while gaming. All that ever seems to get mentioned is benchmarks. I'm still afraid of wasting money on a ATI that's a good deal, only to find myself restarting every hour or more because of poorly written software.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]samprasfan[/nom]Something I wish got mentioned more is software reliability/stability. I had a lot of ATI cards in the 90s/early 2000s, and they were all really prone to crashes compared to the Nvidias I had. Eventually I just stopped buying them, it wasn't worth my computer frequently crashing while gaming. All that ever seems to get mentioned is benchmarks. I'm still afraid of wasting money on a ATI that's a good deal, only to find myself restarting every hour or more because of poorly written software.[/citation]

Both companies have had their share of issues--if you remember, Nvidia's drivers were the leading cause of Vista error reports when the operating system first launched. However, both companies have come a long way with their software support. And while the most recent complaint I heard was AMD's Catalyst package not correctly enabling aniso under the 9.1 hotfix, we didn't encounter any driver issues in this piece.

G

Well I had a lot of ATI cards in the 90s and 2000s and never had more problem than my friends with their 3Dfx or nVidia...

I bought a a HD4850 1GB back in October for my partner's 'light' gaming use. And when I see these bench mark, I am glad I did not buy a renamed nVidia.

troll

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
To Chris, Kevin, Tuan and Jane

Personally, I think the TH community is being to hard on you lately, and it's upsetting as you all do an outstanding job here. Sure the article isn't flawless but it definitely doesn't deserve comments like "Chris, you should really consider sending Kevin, Tuan and Jane to training. Kevin and Tuan can't keep facts straight and Jane is simply blogging.".

To all the complainers, take a few things into consideration.

1. They're working with whatever they have in their warehouse...so stop fussing over things like having 512MB of ram instead of a gig. Plus the economy is bad, and their budget is limited and most likely shrinking.

2. Like a lot of people here, myself included, Kevin, Tuan and Jane are new at this. It takes a lot of training to get things like benchmarking perfect and meet everyone's standards. Practice makes perfect!

3. If this article is so bad then why don't you go and read anand or even better, make your own?

To sum it up, be nicer to the TH staff. They've been supplying us with articles for years and we should show them gratitude, not bitch. If there's a problem with the article, point it out to Chris or someone...no need to flame.

Just my 2 cents.

Nicku

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I also wanted to see 4850 and 4870 1GB versions too in this test, i'm pretty sad that i didn't! i'm sure that 4850 1GB can handle GTS250.

maxpain12

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
My BFG 8800 GTS 512 died and I got the Geforce 250 GTS OC 1G as an RMA replacement. Apparently they don't have my model anymore so I got a rebrand I guess. Got to say that this thing has twice the ram buffer of my old card. I guess its still an upgrade for me at least on paper because the 9800GTX+ still beats my old 8800 GTS 512 Spec wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.