GeForce GTX 460M SLI: Mobile Gaming Value From AVADirect?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

javimars

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
gaming laptops are perfect for road warriors like my self. to have such so much power and be able to carry it with you all over is really attractive. i hope that sometime in the future laptops will be as customizable like any other desktop. major e-retailers should start selling mobile gpus. wow im tired. good night!

reaversedge

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Im an avid gamer and likes to travel alot, granted desktop are way better than their laptop(gpu) counterparts, its about the gamers need and what is really practical, if he's only staying at home then he might settle for a desktop, for me i travel a lot (i dont mind the weight of it since im not handicapped)and is looking for the best performance a laptop there is.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]theholylancer[/nom]soo umm i7 950 DESKTOP vs i7 920 XM MOBILE?[/citation]Yes, and the reasons are completely explained in the article but, if you care to search for it, the site also testing M5870 XFire on the X8100 with 940XM...which runs at the same clock in games as the 950 desktop CPU. Look at the Apple iTunes bench to see precisely what Turbo Boost does for poorly-threaded applications. The Alienware 920XM was picked over the X8100 940XM for XFire because...get this...Alienware performs better than Clevo.[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]$3142 is value! You are kidding right![/citation]Basically what you see here is an article about the 460M SLI "best value mobile gaming" solution...in the first notebook Tom's Hardware could get to test it. The important thing to note here is that the 460M fits a broad variety of notebooks in SLI, while the 480M SLI does not (due to power draw). These cards should be available soon in $2100 notebooks if you'd like to build with other "best value" parts.

moudine

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
for the 2nd fastest gpu in the world and in sli mode , and with triple channel memory and an i7 desktop proc its worth every penny
also dnt 4get about the ssd drive ..
i spent on my hp dv8 last year around 2,300$
-can u compare the i7-820qm to this desktop proc ?even the
strongest xtreme mobile proc wnt stand a chance
-can u compare the 8gb dual memory to this triple channel 6gb ? us surely cant
there is also the 2 gtx 460m ... u know what u just cant compare this machine 2 anythin in the market and its just 3000$
u can pay easily 2000 plus for another laptop which wnt even stand a
chance ....
i do agree that gettin a desktop would be much cheaper but hey its all about how u gonna use it n if it does suits ur needs ...
for example i do travel a lot i cant take a desktop with me :S
and when am not on the move i come 2 my work daily ( play some game at work lol ) since i own the bussiness and at night i can also play my games at home ... some guy mentioned somethin also about playin on big screens well sure u can do that with a laptop,i connect my laptop on
my sony led 120hz 46inch screen usin a long hdmi with wireless keyboad and mouse n i can enjoy my games ...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]moudine[/nom]-can u compare the i7-820qm to this desktop proc ?even the strongest xtreme mobile proc wnt stand a chance-can u compare the 8gb dual memory to this triple channel 6gb ? us surely cantthere is also the 2 gtx 460m ... u know what u just cant compare this machine 2 anythin in the market[/citation]Wrong on all counts, good day!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]moudine[/nom]ofcource am not wrong unless u can prove the opp..have a gd day 2 as am havin the best haha[/citation]I already did, you just didn't read it. To recap:
940XM and 950 run at the same clock in games. Loads of 940XM notebooks around.
950 capped at DDR3-1066 on that notebook, Sandra shows similar memory performance between 940XM with DDR3-1333 and 950 with DDR3-1066
M5870 is ATI's top part, so it's "comparable" even if it's slower.

It's all backed up in the article.

moudine

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
just to enlighten u up the only machine that u can compare this beast 2 is the x8100 with the i7-940 dual ati hd5870 and 6gb dual channel n if u add just the 160gb ssd and the 500gb 7200 rmp hardrive ( powernotebooks.com ) ull get a total of 3,400$
where as my np7280 had the i7-950 with 6gb triple channel and 2x460m sli
and i also added the 160gb ssd n 500gb 7200 rpm i got the total of $2,969 ( powernotebooks.com )
i included win7 for both systems and ic diamond thermal compound

so x7200 crashes the x8100 with its performance in all aspects n yet is cheaper by $431 .. if u dnt think thats price wise then convince me with the opposite .. thank you
we are discussin in terms of mobile performance

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]moudine[/nom]just to enlighten u up the only machine that u can compare this beast 2 is the x8100 with the i7-940 dual ati hd5870 and 6gb dual channel[/citation]I'm fully enlightened and it's still all in the article. The X8100 also supports the GTX 460M and another builder is even selling that configuration. Furthermore, as the article states, the M17x makes better performance numbers with a 920XM than the X8100 makes with a 940XM when both are equipped with M5870 XFire: The higher-performing notebook was used. Yet for you to be fully enlightened, you'll need to look up the previous X7200 article which shows how Clevo motherboards slightly underperform similarly-spec'd desktop boards, which could also help to explain how Alieware's 920XM build outperforms Clevo's 940XM build.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
no idea why they even put batteries in gaming laptops. should just devote the extra space to cooling and add a battery that can take a 30sec power outage inside the already ridiculously large power brick.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Whysoblue I used to think the same way. But guess what, you come over to afghan and see if that same holds true. Granted my laptop only cost 1800$ and games great with a core i7 and 5870 (asus g7-series).

If I would've packed up my desktop it would've gotten stolen (and that's a fact as our whole conex got robbed, and so has a lot of others). Not to mention I live in a tent with 8 others. So every inch is precious.

With that said theres no way I'd pay 3grand for a gaming laptop ever (unless I was rich).

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
O and bill I only carry a mouse, my keyboard is just fine on my laptop. And yes all that fits in a carry on bag, so I don't have to worry about it getting stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.