Geforce GTX 660 Ti Specifications and Launch Date Rumored

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

verbalizer

Distinguished
660Ti = FTW.
this GPU is just sick....

Card is performing about 6.4% slower than GTX 670 and 14% better than HD 7950. Those were the most anticipated comparisons. Card is also faster than HD 7970, but this is only the 3DMark performance, and in higher resolutions it will be more noticeable that 2GB card with only 1152 cores will not be faster than 2048 stream processors and 3GB in HD 7970.

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Well this explains the recent price drops and manufacture's rebates on AMD cards. I remember just a month ago the radeon 7870 was going for $350, now with the rebate you can find them for $260ish. Seems like they know the performance of the 660ti and how competition is about to get interesting in this segment. BTW, thanks for the TweakTown article, good pre-preview.

I'm curious how they are able to get this into a 150W package with the only (supposed) difference being memory bandwidth? I'm guessing they found that the core gpu can be run at a lower voltage while maintaining the same core speed. This may not be so good for overclockers, unless there is a way to modify voltage. Guess it's a good thing they left both 6-pin connectors on then.

Will be interesting what the reviewers (officially) find out in a couple weeks.

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
[citation][nom]verbalizer[/nom]660Ti = FTW.this GPU is just sick....Card is performing about 6.4% slower than GTX 670 and 14% better than HD 7950. Those were the most anticipated comparisons. Card is also faster than HD 7970, but this is only the 3DMark performance, and in higher resolutions it will be more noticeable that 2GB card with only 1152 cores will not be faster than 2048 stream processors and 3GB in HD 7970.[/citation]
Um where are you getting these horrid benchmarks? The 12.7 catalyst driver makes the 7970 out perform the gtx 680 in most scenarios even at 1080p and the 7950 directly competes with the gtx 670 with the 670 beating the 7950 at lower resolutions and losing to it at higher resolutions.

TweakTown did the same thing with the GTX 670 and published a review a week or so early with benchmarks that proved to be right on the mark. These benchmarks will prove to be the real deal again.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4869/nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_2gb_reference_video_card_review/index.html

Quotes:
"You're talking about a video card that is rumored to hit at the mid-$200 range yet performs like a video card priced $100 more. In this case we're talking about the HD 7950 specifically. You could argue that it can be compared against the more expensive HD 7970 at times, too."

"The problem for AMD, though, is that while this card is priced at levels around the HD 7850 and HD 7870, its performance is around that of the HD 7950 and HD 7970. You combine this with the fact that AMD really don't have any more room to move on price due to recent price drops. We really do wonder what AMD can do. NVIDIA do this excellent job of taking on multiple AMD models with just one video card and in this case, we see that happening again."

I read that review a few hours ago and I'm sure glad I waited for that card. It demolished the 7950.

verbalizer

Distinguished

no you are referring to the GTX 560 Ti and not the GTX 550 Ti..

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
it is likely to have much bigger different from 670. You will u see a bigger gap. no way a 660ti will go anyway near 670 due to the 192bit + 1.5GB ram is bottle-necking the CHIP sooo much. I suppose it will come with 24ROP only too. May be cutting 8 ROPs + 2 RAM chips can yield 20w power saving.

Read a few of the post on here. This review w/benchmarks was posted just a few post above.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4869/nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_2gb_reference_video_card_review/index.html <----- GTX 660 ti 2GB review w/benchmarks

MaxGardener

Honorable
May 5, 2012
[citation][nom]nacos[/nom]Um where are you getting these horrid benchmarks? The 12.7 catalyst driver makes the 7970 out perform the gtx 680 in most scenarios even at 1080p and the 7950 directly competes with the gtx 670 with the 670 beating the 7950 at lower resolutions and losing to it at higher resolutions.[/citation]

The 660ti will be far more powerful than a 580, also CCC 12.7 only allows the 7970 to trade blows with the 680, it helps the GHz Edition 7970 beat the 680, and I am sure Nvidia is working on drivers of there own to help put the 680 back on top. Who knows tho, AMD might have won this gen at the top level.

if my memory serves me right, isn't the 660 suppose to be priced similar to when the 560 came out? and also for 460 and 260?

this is usually the range (of performance and price) that i usually buy. i dont remember paying $300 for my card, and we have higher prices from where i am

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Why_Me[/nom]Read a few of the post on here. This review w/benchmarks was posted just a few post above.http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4 [...] index.html <----- GTX 660 ti 2GB review w/benchmarks[/citation]I was meant to say it has a bigger gap from 670 vs the 670/680
gap which it is indeed showing in the benchmark on ur link.

BestJinjo

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Everyone who read the review here missed the last page? It's really the only page that matters because all the previous pages use no AA/AF. No one buys a $300 GPU and not use AA. Once AA/AF is turned on, this card's performance tumbles courtesy of 144GB/sec bandwidth and 24 ROPs. Performance is well below a stock 7950 with AA/AF and 7950 has another 30-40% overclocking headroom.

It'll barely beat the HD7870 Ghz edition if those benchmarks with AA are true.

omgoblins

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Honestly, I'm an Nvidia fanboy, I've always owned Nvidia cards. Recently my MSI 560-Ti Hawk stopped working. So as I was doing research I see how great the new Kepler cards are and I'm reading benchmarks, reviews, etc. etc. and I just can't help notice how *Biased* everything is towards the Kepler cards, I mean yes, they are the most powerful card to date, but it's not like they reinvented video cards or anything groundbreaking. This is just more examples of that, I mean people are honestly saying that the budget Kepler card is FASTER than the top of the line AMD 7000 series... come on now, that's just ridiculous.
I needed a new card and did my research and here is what I found:
Nvidia has pros: Physx support- this is awesome for games that utilize it like Battlefield 3.
Kepler has delivered the most powerful single card to date in the GTX 690
Native FXAA support, which has it's advantages.
All Kepler card come factory overclocked (pro for people who don't overclock, but a con for people who do)
Nvidia also has cons: Coming factory overclocked, it's not fair to bench them against AMD cards at stock, because AMD cards have much higher overclocking headroom. The top AMD models 7950 and 7970 have around 45% overclocking headroom.. Whereas Kepler only has about 25% more from stock speeds when overclocking, even at max "safe" voltage- because it's already factory overclocked! Just doesn't make sense comparing these cards unless you are running max overclocks on both.
Price: Kepler series cards are for enthusiasts, they are not cheap.. a Budget card at $300, that is expensive.
RAM: Only 2GB? That's fine for now, but in the near future that might not be enough for some games, I'm talking games like Skyrim where you mod the visuals heavily with high res textures and especially enhanced shaders (ENB Series anyone?). I see the 660-Ti is rumored to be at 2gb and 1.5gb, hopefully it's 2.

Whereas I decided that instead of waiting for the 660-Ti (I saw this exact graphic of the specs over a week ago) I bought a MSI R7950 Twin Frozr for $309 after $20 Rebate. I'm happy with the purchase even though I've always loved my Nvidia cards, basically because of the performance for the price. I have no doubt that I will be overclocking this card and that it will easily compete head to head with an overclocked 670 (7950 at 1150 670 at 1250) with the new 12.7 drivers it's actually faster in Skyrim. The MSI card actually comes with a 7970 PCB so that's why it's such an excellent performer. Combine that with 3GB RAM and there was absolutely no competition. Not to mention how superior the Twin Frozr cooler is when compared to a reference Kepler (I know there will be non-references, but they will cost more and probably wont be available right away, so you will be waiting longer).
I will be gaming Skyrim heavily modded visually and content-wise, with an ENB at 1440p, I am not even sure if I would be able to do that on a 660-Ti, whereas I know I will have no problem with the MSI R7950. Right now that card is MSRP $350, but you can catch a deal like I did for $309 and the trio of AMD games- just do it and don't look back. Eventually when this generation matures I hope I will be able to find a better deal on an Nvidia card, but I will only choose the card that offers the best performance for the price.

omgoblins

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
[citation][nom]BestJinjo[/nom]Everyone who read the review here missed the last page? It's really the only page that matters because all the previous pages use no AA/AF. No one buys a $300 GPU and not use AA. Once AA/AF is turned on, this card's performance tumbles courtesy of 144GB/sec bandwidth and 24 ROPs. Performance is well below a stock 7950 with AA/AF and 7950 has another 30-40% overclocking headroom. It'll barely beat the HD7870 Ghz edition if those benchmarks with AA are true.[/citation]

Yeah, that was just one of the flaws with that review. It was clearly biased towards Nvidia cards:
Comparing stock speeds (when Nvidias are factory overclocked-having less headroom at OC vs AMD)
Using OLD games that favor Nvidia cards (he could of at least used new games that favor Nvidia- like BF3 and Batman AC). The only games used that I have seen used in other recent benchmarks (Alien Vs Predator, Metro 2033) favored the 7950.. not to mention when he used AA.

It was just a poor review overall I thought. I mean really, why have such a beefy test system if there is no overclocking done anyways :p

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]MrMakapuu[/nom]My 460 gtx (1GB ea.) SLI seem fine on ULTRA in BF3 on my 1080p 50"... Any reason to go 660's?[/citation]
I have the same cards. I am thinking about waiting a few months for the price to drop on these and replace the 460 SLi with 660 SLi!!! Either that or going to a single card config like the 680. Whatever I do, I am never an early adopter. I'll most likely upgrade once the 7xx series debuts.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I think those results illustrates the problem with this card, gets completely destroyed at higher resolutions with AA (and I do really like using AA!!).

If you want to game for the next couple of years on medium / high settings (as opposed to ultra) at 1080p then by all means this could be the card for you. But don't start kidding yourself u have some budget 7970 alternative or a card better than a 7950 with a modest 1000mhz o/c.

Kenshin55

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
More competition is always good. This is going to be a good year for the GPU battle... I hope more price drops come in Q4-2012, getting us more closely of doing CFX and SLI :D

Status
Not open for further replies.