GeForce GTX 750 Ti Review: Maxwell Adds Performance Using Less Power

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BFU2Miners

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
Page 17- Ya know you all scrub miners, four of this can get you more money than a R9 290X at a less power consumption. Now you can switch to Nvidia and leave my R7 265 unaffected of this AMD GPUs price hike so I finally can buy one. K

Could someone define 'reference board' for me, please? Because the PCB on the MSI board in particular looks completely different to me, and the gigabyte one has some minor differences.How much does a vendor need to change a board to get it to be non-reference?

chaosmassive

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
just AMD launched Hawaii based GPU, as we now that a ton of heat and power-hungrynow Nvidia begin it's Maxwell campaign, which can compete with 7850 same performance with less power.its likely more price cut R9 290/R9 290 once Nvidia release its high end Maxwell-based GPU

Madseven

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
The 750ti is selling for $199 here in Canada...Same price as the R9 270...Way too much for too little performance in comparison

serbzero

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
something is clearly wrong with the way Toms benches litecoin performance. It is a well known fact around the web that 270 and 270x get well over 400kh/s while 265 being identical to 7850 should be getting 300+ without any overclocking. Can someone clear this up for me?

kvarta

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
So now most important for video cards is power usage? With all respect for all the past articles, Chris, You join eco-nazis? :D

Lascar

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Honestly the market that will tend to the 750Ti is new builders who are looking for ultra low budget game on low power cpu, mobo and limited peripherals and harware. If people like me who are upgrading from an HD6790, i would go with the R7 260x or 265 all the way for that pricerange, better performance overall and i have the hardware. Also whoever is comparing is to the 7750 is mistaken, for the price performance according to each family u cannot bring 7750 to the table as a baddy compared to 750Ti they are too different in technology. Wait a bit and u will see AMD launch a card that will beat the 750Ti with better specs, for better price with the same super low power comsumption everyone is getting so fond of.

According to Anand's review it could be around the same as a GTX660 (non Ti).

payneg1

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
The 7850 is better than the 750Ti in all games but ARMA 3 where the FPS is down by a huge margin. This game alone makes the 750Ti 101% compared to 7850's 100%. Not a fair comparison IMO.

Lascar

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

honestly apart from memory management there nothing extravagant to justify the price. And near a GTX660? that "could be" is a very large word. Based solely on the specifications published u can see the specs are low, the memory management sure brings about a different type of memory handling but if you have PC2133 RAM lol what use is it to u? This card is targeted for low budget low level gaming again. This card will play stuff like bf4 and crysis 3 same as my HD 6790 maybe better Frames due to far newer tech. But in no way will it be able to run higher that medium specs without choking to death on its 60W draw. Why they did that memory mapping change, as mentioned is to reduce bottleneck so to define it, this card if not for that memory increase would bottleneck big time. It is a good card but for the price... NO WAY!!! Also that arma3 you realize that it pulls on PhysX which makes that arma3 an Nvidia optimized game which relistically as all Physx games favor nvidia.

I was basing that "could be" on this :-
61468.png

And this :-
61469.png

And I was only referring to its folding performance.

manks

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

I was interested in that comparison as well. The MSI 760 ITX version seems to be the beefiest short board in the GTX lineup and I had my eye on it for a SFF build. With this thing, I could use an even smaller PSU and box but I'd like to know how much performance I'd be giving up.

Love the reference board with the double DVI jacks on a single slot. VGA really needs to be phased out. Glad to see Zotac staying with the reference layout ( except for that two-slot faceplate. )

I don't know what MSI and Gigabyte are doing here. Why would you extend the PCB and make it harder to fit in the smaller cases where an entry card like this will do the most good? Why make this a two-slot card? Why add an auxiliary power connection that is really uneeded ( you're really going to OC this thing THAT much? )

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
This is a pretty damned impressive card for the tiny amounts of power it consumes, and heat and noise it produces. I do think that at this kind of price point is could have gone for a larger, blower style cooler with an HDMI and mini display port out to make room for the vent, since that's the kind of connections people are using more and more, and they allow room for venting quite nicely. This would have made the card a no-brainer for smaller systems.I'm also interested to see if any company will adapt this into a low-profile card, maybe with a passive cooler? It'd be great to see one so capable and it's well on the way to the required cool running already.

I disagree. DVI is still the port of choice.
HDMI really has no advantage and is designed for televisions not computers.
I really don't have anything readily available with a native HDMI or displayport and I know I am
not the only one.

this is an impressive showing. The performance gains with maxwell aren't all that impressive, certainly not as much as nvidia was claiming or hinting... that said, the gains in performance/watt are astronomical.GCN used to be the champ for performance per Watt on the lower end of the performance graph... with the 77xx/78xx chips producing some amazing fps for the Wattage of their respective cards. Not any more... this is mindblowing performance out of a 60W card. Now lets see how the rest of the lineup works.

I agree. HDMI is pretty common for mid-range displays now, but nearly every monitor sold in the last five years has a DVI port. DP is still strictly in the pricier segments. The kind of people that are buying this card are typically NOT using high-end displays. Having twin DVI makes a lot more sense than HDMI or DP, both of which would likely require adapters for the card's target audience.

Bottom line, your monitors might have HDMI, but unless it's a dinosaur it WILL have DVI.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Thanks for clearing that up. It looks like GM107, and likely Maxwell in general, will be incredibly efficient at folding. GM107 has made some significant improvements to compute performance over GK107 - GK104. It looks like depending on the WU it could perform anywhere between a GTX660 and >GTX770, and it does so at a 60W TDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS