News GeForce MX550 Edges Over Ryzen 9 APU In New Benchmark

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
"Edges" out is right. That's less than a 1% difference. As it says, only one sample.

But this performance difference, if the MX550 score valid across multiple samples, represents a difference well within margin of error for performance comparisons, no?

Reactions: artk2219
Nov 17, 2021
The Mx450 was a great card but really expensive and difficult to find in the US. Whenever I googled MX450 laptops I'd end up on Amazon India or other Indian shops. This card will probably face the same issue

artk2219

Distinguished
"Edges" out is right. That's less than a 1% difference. As it says, only one sample.

But this performance difference, if the MX550 score valid across multiple samples, represents a difference well within margin of error for performance comparisons, no?

Yep. Margins of error are usually within 2 - 3%, with any notable difference really needing to be 10% or above in most cases. Honestly id rather have the APU and the increased battery life that comes with it, its not enough of a difference to be worth it as a discrete GPU.

Last edited:

Umfriend

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
And for the umpteenth time things like this make me wonder what a quad-channel APU would do for GFX performance. I realise the mem-controller and MB (due to traces) would become more expensive but what you would save is dGPU real estate to, you know, add like a 4th M.2 slot in a 14"chassis. A storage and mempory bandwith monster, relatively speaking.

Edit: I also wonder whether the increased cost of making a quad-channel APU is higher than the cost of including an MX550.

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
And for the umpteenth time things like this make me wonder what a quad-channel APU would do for GFX performance. I realise the mem-controller and MB (due to traces) would become more expensive but what you would save is dGPU real estate to, you know, add like a 4th M.2 slot in a 14"chassis. A storage and mempory bandwith monster, relatively speaking.

Edit: I also wonder whether the increased cost of making a quad-channel APU is higher than the cost of including an MX550.

AMD could totally make a chip like that, design the ecosystem to go with it, and then have the OEM's give it a hard pass, because they're trying to sell as many cheap PC's as possible, which an increased cost to produce does not Jive with. Hell, AMD has a hard enough time getting OEM's to produce products with their current chips as is, personally I think that would be an excellent idea, and it will likely not see the light of day for the reason above.

Umfriend

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
AMD could totally make a chip like that, design the ecosystem to go with it, and then have the OEM's give it a hard pass, because they're trying to sell as many cheap PC's as possible, which an increased cost to produce does not Jive with. Hell, AMD has a hard enough time getting OEM's to produce products with their current chips as is, personally I think that would be an excellent idea, and it will likely not see the light of day for the reason above.
You are probably right. On the other hand, I would not be surprised if it would outperform APU+low end dGPU solution and end up cheaper because. well,. you don;t need a dGPU and accompanying memory. If only I were a billionaire, I'd make it happen (although, if I were a billionaire, I'd probably be doing other things entirely ;)|).

Reactions: artk2219

TRENDING THREADS