GeForce RTX 2080 Ti vs. RTX 2080: Which Turing Card is Right for You?

Jim90

Distinguished
"You could of course buy an RTX 2080 Ti, secure in the notion that you'll get the best ray tracing experience possible with these current-generation cards. But if your monitor is stuck at, say, 1080p and you don't plan on upgrading anytime soon, you may be paying hundreds extra for more GPU muscle than you need. "

-->But...we already know that for RT functionality, you will be stuck at 1080p in order to achieve an acceptable frame rate. That is, unless the devs cut back (further?) on the card's potential for this (RT sales tick-box unfortunately still gets checked).
With what we do know already, I'm very sceptical about the level of RT capable of being delivered to the end user - not the card's potential when independent of fps. On the other hand, the 2080Ti does show a reasonable jump in performance, that is, until you look at the insane asking price; the card's full RT potential is no where ready for acceptable fps in this gen - and Nvidia damn well know this.

Aug 2, 2018
TWO GTX 1080 ti in SLI is ALOT better than RTX 2080 Ti

and GTX 1080 Ti is better than RTX 2080

Until Nvidia lowers the RTX 2080 ti Price to ~$800 , and the RTX 2080 to ~$500 .. I am not buying.

logainofhades

Titan

Unless a title has little to no SLI support. The 2080 is faster, but not by enough of a margin to justify the higher price tag.

Aug 2, 2018

Tomshardware should test the RTX 2080 ti against 2x GTX 1080 ti SLI.

before other sites do this.

it is thee same price , 1080 ti cand be found for $650 two for $1300 ... almost th same price of RTX 2080 ti

Tomshardware should test the games in this review and compare

Jim90

Distinguished

+1

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I'm assuming by Tom's stamping its name on the charts you have a 2080 and 2080Ti in house for benchmarking and you OWN those numbers? If you do have one, why no in-depth bench with specific games, resolutions and settings?

... or are they Nvidia's numbers you just threw into a chart and are going to scapegoat Nvidia if the product doesnt live up to the hype?

#JustBuyIt

If you havent noticed, alot of Tom's readers and myself are losing faith and trust in Tom's ability to write a truthful article with REAL data and test result. I'm sick of the manufacturer hype, political bias stories, and other trash this site has turned into lately... just the facts please.

Never owned an AMD card. Always gone for Nvidia... But... Ray tracing, etc etc... look at the darn price! Who in they're right mind wanna pay +1k for nice shadows and lights... Its plain and simple 100% nuts!!

So no dear TomsHardware. The 2080 and 2080Ti is NOT the cards to buy at all. Pascal deliver WAY more bang for the bucks. And the 1080Ti can handle 4k just fine.

I find it funny that both Gamers Nexsus, JaysTwoCents and Linus all say the same in a way: Dont buy.

And I understand them. Nvidia are saying the holy grail etc etc. Who knows if this is not just gonna flopp and fail?
Who knows how the cards will perform in games that has all the candy that the RTX cards can handle? There are no games out there yet that gamers can play that has it! So its all hear-say and rumors. No facts.

So until we see full benchmarks in games that people pay. How can you recommend something!!! its just stupid!

Really loosing faith in TomsHardware with the "hype" train they are riding now with Nvidia.

So no people. Dont buy the RTX cards because of 2 simple things.

1. Who knows how they will perform under a real game situation with all the eyecandy vs a 1080 / 1080Ti?

2. Price... its just to laugh about...

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
I looked back into old TH review for the MSI 1080ti gamingX and surprisingly found that 1080ti outperformed the numbers for same games and settings posted by TH in the 2080 reviews in some cases by a very significant margin and in some were also equivalent or higher than the 2080. Those were evidently results before custom OC and we know that the 1080ti overclocks well.

Something isn't right and it isn't just a reference 1080ti vs the MSI gamingX. Noted that in a number of cases for specific games the 2080 review had higher 1080ti results that were obviously cases where subsequent Nvidia driver updates improved those games performances for all cards.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

We have conducted tests to quantify performance in real games, and if you read our reviews, you will see that we do not give both cards a full-throated endorsement. Instead, we explain where they make sense for our readers and where they do not. We also advise that, like you, we aren't sure how well ray tracing will play out in the industry, so you shouldn't purchase the cards based on possible ray tracing performance.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition,5809.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-founders-edition,5805.html

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Yup, game and driver updates constantly push the goalposts forward, which is something we grapple with during our testing. We have to refresh test pools periodically to assure that we are presenting the most accurate snapshot of current performance. We conducted all testing in both reviews on fresh installs with the latest OS, drivers, and game updates.

I honestly do not understand why people complain about the increased prices of new generations of video cards, specifically from Nvidia. Who in his right mind expects to pay the same price for the next generation GTX x80 series (or these days xx80 series) or any same-series cards for that matter while getting improved performance for higher resolution and more demanding games? And let's not forget the less power consumption pattern as we've seen for many years of each new GPU generation:

Just take the 1080 vs. 1180 for example. For a reference, let’s throw out market/supply price influencing non-FE cards. Everyone who had spent years building and upgrading their own PCs knows full well when a new generation GPU is released, prices are skewed due to demand/supply. So with that said, here we go and keep in mind the same $100 spread between FE and non-FE cards that exists with the 2080 existed with the 1080.

GTX 1080 AIB non-FE card price: $599
GTX 2080 AIB non-FE card price: $699 (the FE 1080 release price)

GTX 2080 + performance over the GTX 1080 (Tom’s data here): +35.5%
GTX 2080 + price over GTX 1080: +16.7%

^^What’s the problem? You are getting more than twice the performance for half the increase in said price in the same series GPU which is the point. I mean seriously. Who in his right mind expects GPU makers to keep the same price tiers with each new generation of GPU while affording a significant boost in performance? To put things into economic perspective, the GTX 280 was released 10 years ago at $649. In today's (US) dollars, that's $760 in today's buying dollars.

Yeah well if anyone wants a 1080 Ti (I bought mine in July 2017 for $750 before the mining $#@! and thank GOD it is crashing), they'd better buy one soon. History has shown when retailers sell their last one, the prices only go back up on the aftermarket portals (eBay, Amazon, etc.). Anyway, as a 4K single GPU solution unchallenged, I disagree on it being a dud:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_duke_review,16.html
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_duke_review,12.html

A 15% performance boost in these two examples alone at 4K over the 1080 Ti while consuming less power all for the same price is far from a dud. Never mind you are getting a new generation GPU.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
"PAULALCORN 3 hours ago
ANONYMOUS SAID:
I looked back into old TH review for the MSI 1080ti gamingX and surprisingly found that 1080ti outperformed the numbers for same games and settings posted by TH in the 2080 reviews in some cases by a very significant margin and in some were also equivalent or higher than the 2080. Those were evidently results before custom OC and we know that the 1080ti overclocks well.

Something isn't right and it isn't just a reference 1080ti vs the MSI gamingX. Noted that in a number of cases for specific games the 2080 review had higher 1080ti results that were obviously cases where subsequent Nvidia driver updates improved those games performances for all cards.

Yup, game and driver updates constantly push the goalposts forward, which is something we grapple with during our testing. We have to refresh test pools periodically to assure that we are presenting the most accurate snapshot of current performance. We conducted all testing in both reviews on fresh installs with the latest OS, drivers, and game updates."

So evidently the latest OS, drivers and game updates helped performance in some instances and HURT in others. Is Nvidia morphing into Apple putting out updates that hurt performance of prior generation so new gen looks better?

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

$1200 is a lot of money for you but to a lot of people it is not that bad.
Expensive for sure, more than a lot WANT to spend, but it is doable.
You forget, 100,000's of people buy 1200 Iphones every year.

I could buy two 2080 TI's right now if I wanted to and not even think twice about it.
I'm certainly not rich, I have a good well paying middle class job.
Its just a question of do I really WANT it?
I'm just not sure yet.

I know I want to see ray tracing become the standard, its what gamers have dreamed about for a long time.
Someone has to go first or it will never happen.
Even if it isn't perfect I applaud Nvidia for taking the leap and getting it started.
It took a lot of guts and I'm sure a SIGNIFICANT R&D budget to take the leap.
Its only going to get better as cards get more powerful.