News GeForce RTX 3080 vs Radeon RX 6800 XT: High-end GPU Face Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
no wonder nvidia threw a fit about people publishing rasterized numbers. they get whooped and use more power doing it. and thats with amds atrocious drivers.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Perhaps the most impressive point of all is that AMD's card is just as competitive across operating systems. That's an important issue that did not get addressed. AMD's driver stack (at least in Linux) is fully open source and (along with the hardware) is completely competitive with the closed source model.

Reactions: purple_dragon

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The power consumption on the 30 series is the elephant in the room - especially the 3080 and higher. It's just been swept under the rug, hasn't it?
People who have a serious peeve for quiet and cool really need to re-evaluate these cards.
That higher power consumption does ultimately lead to higher chassis and room thermals. If one's room has a/c, perhaps it doesn't matter all that much... still doesn't make it ok to just shove aside.

There's also the high transient power spikes which are causing users to be a bit more thorough about their psu buying decisions...

Reactions: purple_dragon

Bamda

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
There are currently like 20 to 25 games that support DLSS or RT. I own over 4300 games. That works out to be like .006 percent of all the games I own (if I owned every DLSS/RT game made). I am not really concerned with DLSS or RTX. For me, Rasterization is King, no matter how many articles are ever written by Tom or any other site that will never change. And one other thing having 16GB of VRAM is another huge advantage that cannot be overlooked.

Reactions: lyrx

TheAlmightyProo

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
There are currently like 20 to 25 games that support DLSS or RT. I own over 4300 games. That works out to be like .006 percent of all the games I own (if I owned every DLSS/RT game made). I am not really concerned with DLSS or RTX. For me, Rasterization is King, no matter how many articles are ever written by Tom or any other site that will never change. And one other thing having 16GB of VRAM is another huge advantage that cannot be overlooked.

Same points, broadly, that I keep making elsewhere... and one could say I know Nvidia far better to risk a move away. After all, only one custom build desktop and a couple gaming laptops, all Intel/Nvidia, have been my lot for the last 10 years but what other choice was there?

But yeah... my library, while not as large as yours (more like 200 games for me) has a good few games going back a few years, and a good few genres/IP's I favour that are unlikely to feature either RT/DLSS (now and going forwards)
As such for me neither of those things are there yet, nor close to as important to me as a huge jump away from 1080p (laptop gamer atm since my rig died)

And that, alongside other strong points is why this gen I'm an all AMD man this time around (5600X is all over 8/10 core i7/i9, 6900XT will outlast 3080/3080ti for around the same price)
Honestly, not saying Nvidia are bad but they're no longer so far ahead of AMD as Nvidia fans still tell it, and Intel ones know it.

Reactions: lyrx

lyrx

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2015
Worrying about power and efficiency in a video card is equivalent to a Nascar driver trying to install solar panels on the hood. Give me performance. I don't mind buying a 1000+ watt power supply or more if I need it. The problem is the price. Manufacturers ran most desktop users out of the market 10 years ago and many casual to mildly serious gamers went to phones leaving the rest of us with higher prices.

cgilley

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Who the hell cares? No one can get these cards at any sort of reasonable price. Hell, Nvidia will release rtx4000 maybe before we can get these.
ps - the ads on the site are overwhelming. back off

Reactions: panathas and lyrx

lyrx

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2015
Agree. These cards are overpriced and underproduced. This is an artificial shortage to drive prices up. Most people won't consider a card over $500. Years ago I got a real message to Microsoft and told them to lower the OS to $100 and they will corner the market once and for all instead of trying to get $200 - 400. mmm. Someone took my advice. An operating system is worth $100 and no more. A video card is worth $500 max for most of us since the casual player has been pushed out long ago and gone to a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.