News GeForce RTX 4070 vs Radeon RX 6950 XT: Which GPU Is Better?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
I'm honestly baffled at this article's fixation on power use. I have a Red Devil 6950-XT -- it is undervolted and runs at 1065 mV, which peaks at 260W under FULL benchmark load. Anyway, I know the 4070 runs at around 200W out of the box, but still... 6950-XT cards do not need THAT much power to hit 2600 MHz. Between that and undervolting a 7950X, my system runs on a 600W power supply easily.
I understand it because I'm neurotic that way. I want my pc to use as little power and generate as little heat as possible, without sacrificing performance.

zx128k

Reputable
power-consumption.png

Minimum recommended PSU: 1000 W

Real user getting issues with power spikes 850 watt PSU

I been noticing my pc has been shutting down at random since I got the 6900 XT reference model at Microcenter in December.
Long story short, 6900 XT recommended PSU is 1000w due of the power spike, a Microcenter employee test three different 850w PSU with my 6900 XT PC shut off at random, switching to 1000w PSU fix the problem at the store and for me at home, hope this help if you having a random shut down with a 6900 XT with a 850w PSU.
Update: here the chart https://ibb.co/1MqgPJ2 6900 XT and Ryzen 9 need 1000w due of the power spike.

power-spikes.png

Torture loop in factory state

The spikes go down a bit, but the total load on 12 volts goes up to 493 watts now. The spikes go up to just under 577 watts, a fat number. Even though the be quiet! Straight Power 11 550 Watt Platinum should still have reserves, it switches off at some point anyway. The Pure Power 500 Watt Gold doesn’t even manage this, it’s already over when starting the stress tests.
01a-RX-6800XT-Stock-Charts.png

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
I have my 6900XT running of a Seasonic 750W in an HTPC enclosure. I use it for VR, so it's not even light use, specially when using 3D pass-through to render my room in 3D via the Valve Index.

Never had a power issue.

So... Not quite true as I think the PSUs used by those people were just not up to par.

Regards.
Nope amd recommend more powerful psu as linked already above. Like you stated not every psu is the same and not every load on the gpu is the same. Many 850 watt psu trigger their ocp. This happened with nvidia cards as well. This is why a top GPU from amd and nvidia is much more expensive. Why the 4070 makes more sence to the target customer. They are not going to have the best psu. They were get a good value for money psu.

Nope amd recommend more powerful psu as linked already above. Like you stated not every psu is the same and not every load on the gpu is the same. Many 850 watt psu trigger their ocp. This happened with nvidia cards as well. This is why a top GPU from amd and nvidia is much more expensive. Why the 4070 makes more sence to the target customer. They are not going to have the best psu. They were get a good value for money psu.
I think I get what you're trying to get at and it is a valid point: a more power hungry card will necessitate a better PSU, so that is also, potentially, extra money to consider in a build.

Regards.

zx128k

Reputable
If you have a PSU up to the task and DXR is not your thing. Then go for a 6900xt if thats what you want. You need high fps in an online shooter and thats all you play. Say you play world of warcraft and nothing else.

I would just get the new amd card for a little more money. The 7900xt.

These are big cards as well do you need the space in the case for them.

I totally get what the review is saying and who its aimed at. Why some people want the 6900xt and not the 4070.

What are the pro cons of everyone choosing either AMD or Nvidia?
I have problems with AMD drivers that is interfering with Windows so I'm looking for other option which is Nvidia.
But does anyone has bad experience using Nvidia?
depends on what you qualify a bad experience. 8 years ago i would have, without hesitation said nvidia drivers were better then amd drivers. and for some people the slow driver update cadence for amd is a problem; however i'd say the biggest driver problems currently are on the team green side of things. Not that amd drivers are great... and if you like game ready drivers at game release you're better with team green, however the last 5 or so major driver problems i can recall were all nvidia issues. and while amd drivers aren't perfect, i think amd has largely ironed out their driver issues to the point the day to day use issues for drivers is basically indistinguishable from eachother.

A lot of people here baselessly accusing @JarredWaltonGPU of being paid or influenced by Nvidia... There's no way he or anyone at Tom's would compromise their integrity like that. You all need to calm down, take a deep breath, Tom's Hardware has been doing great work for as long as I have been on the internet.
Do authors and editors have their favourites and biases? Yes, they do but not that at the cost of their professionalism and work ethics.
On the subject at hand, as I said before, there is no reality where the 4070 is a better purchase or GPU than the 6950 XT. The raster performance gap is so wide you'd have to be out of your mind to pay the same money to get the 4070. RT performance is moot because the framerates you get out of the 4070 are so low that playing with the feature enabled doesn't make sense.
I won't even address the bizarre inclusion of Stable Diffusion benchmarks.
Power consumption is a win for 4070, numbers don't lie and Jarred's point is entirely valid.

The question is, why don't you? According to all sources including Tom's AMD has the fastest gaming CPUs, yet you insist on using the 13900K ( very power inefficient as well) for testing. Preferring Intel CPUs is definitely a proven bias at Tom's, that I have observed.
my current gpu is a rtx 2070 super. i'm not an amd fanboi. but i think you have to be deep in the nvidia weeds to not realize this article reads like a paid "news article" ad you can find in usa today.

Last edited: