News GeForce RTX 4080 Emerges at U.S. Retailer Starting at $1,199

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
D

Deleted member 14196

Sorry for off but has a bit place for new conspiracy here. US government work against China on purpose to keep hardware prices high by foreclosing additional competitors. It's like being bribed by the corporations to do it.
???

Reactions: bit_user

logainofhades

Titan
I suppose I am kind of lucky in that I need a new screen first anyways (instead of currently 1080p 60Hz), as it will take a bit of time until I get one, and by that time, there will hopefully be some new-gen GPU at a bit lower price for 1440p gaming.

As for the power consumption, there will certainly be an increase upgrading GTX 1050 Ti (with 75W). To off-set that a bit, I am considering to run a dual-screen setup, with one screen hooked up to the MB and using the iGPU of the CPU, while turning off the GPU when not gaming (if it takes more power i.e. for browsing than the iGPU would).

But in any case, adding some 300W per hour of gaming, if I game 40 hours a month, that's 12 kWh a month extra, which comes at around the price of one pint (and I am in a tarif for my electricity to be sourced from renewables). Of course though, if I would be playing some older MMO 50 hours a week, then that electricity consumption could get a bit excessive, especially if a weaker GPU could run pretty much the same level of graphics at a lower wattage.

At idle, a GPU doesn't really use much wattage. So when not gaming the amount it contributes is minor at best.

index.php

So, your solution is to buy those obscenely expensive Nvidia cards and not use them except for browsing (otherwise the electric bill wil bee much higher)??
Sorry to say, but that's an unfair interpretation.

For when you're not using the GPU for games, computing or CAD-type work, while you're doing basic things it won't be using a lot of power. Or at the very least it is comparable to other, lower power, cards.

Bonus track: I found this really funny, so proprs to Jarrod for testing it xD

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlYHPj-0DTE

Regards.

InvalidError

Titan
For when you're not using the GPU for games, computing or CAD-type work, while you're doing basic things it won't be using a lot of power. Or at the very least it is comparable to other, lower power, cards.
Not sure I'd call a 2-3X increase in idle power draw comparable. Of course, if you can afford a $1600 GPU, you should be able to afford the ~$20/year higher idle power and AC bill.

giorgiog

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
They can keep them. Mere mortals can't afford these high end prices. I paid $899 for an RTX 3080 in October '20 and it felt like a rip-off then. I can't see myself spending more than $400-$500 on a video card in the future. Folks are better off with an Xbox Series X + a keyboard/mouse at this rate.

And its no where near as bad as it was with 3000 series. The 4090 is an MSRP 1600 dollar card being sold for 1900-2200 on ebay. The 3080 was a 700 dollar card being sold for 1400-1900 dollars for 8 months after release. The severity of scalping is severely diminished with this release because of the crypto bubble bursting and the lack of demand from people who spent those prices to get a 3000 series card.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Not sure why anyone would buy a 4080 at $1200. Why would you want a graphics brick that guzzles so much power to add latency and fake frames with artifacts? Makes very little sense. I could understand the power consumption if performance was massively improved, but Nvidia focused way too much on DLSS and the AI market this time around.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Not sure why anyone would buy a 4080 at $1200. Why would you want a graphics brick that guzzles so much power to add latency and fake frames with artifacts? Makes very little sense. I could understand the power consumption if performance was massively improved, but Nvidia focused way too much on DLSS and the AI market this time around.
You can ask that question about any product if all you do is focus on what you personally don't like about.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
And its no where near as bad as it was with 3000 series. The 4090 is an MSRP 1600 dollar card being sold for 1900-2200 on ebay. The 3080 was a 700 dollar card being sold for 1400-1900 dollars for 8 months after release. The severity of scalping is severely diminished with this release because of the crypto bubble bursting and the lack of demand from people who spent those prices to get a 3000 series card.
scalping is scalping, regardless of the scalped price difference between this gen and last gen. The thing is, you cant currently go to newegg or amazon or best buy or microcenter to buy one of these cards at their official price. Only time will tell how long this will remain the case, but i do agree with you that it shouldnt take almost 2 years like the 30 series did to be able to buy one from an e-tailer or retailer

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The People enabled this; they spoke with their money. It doesn't have to be everyone, but enough.
2017's x80Ti for 700USD? That was very good.
The previous 2(Kepler and Maxwell 2.0) weren't far off in their price.

2018's for 1200(was 1000 VERY briefly)?
That thing should've been maybe 800-850 with the RT tax - inflation included. It should've set off a bunch of alarms, but The People said they were okay with it, and x80Ti would never be the same again...

2021's x80Ti, 1200 - for a short time, then the prices exploded. Once again, The People said they were okay with it.

2023 should see an x80Ti, but their x80 already took the 1200 spot... [it's not hard to look up what previous x80s were at]

Publishers are pushing for more subscription-based services; battle pass, season pass, etc. It costs more to maintain these services, but that is easily overshadowed if successful.
In game microtransactions evolved to macrotransactions... crap is screwed up, and will be for some time yet, but The People look to be okay with it still.

Anyway, you can't tell folks how to spend their money, so what do you do? Tie 'em up, break their fingers, and smash their PC when they're about to purchase one of these things?
Complaining, boycotts, and review bombing sure as hell doesn't work. "Only money" talks - and well? 4090s sold, 4080s will too, and so on. The trends can only continue, as The People are okay with it.

Reactions: LolaGT
The People enabled this; they spoke with their money. It doesn't have to be everyone, but enough.
2017's x80Ti for 700USD? That was very good.
The previous 2(Kepler and Maxwell 2.0) weren't far off in their price.

2018's for 1200(was 1000 VERY briefly)?
That thing should've been maybe 800-850 with the RT tax - inflation included. It should've set off a bunch of alarms, but The People said they were okay with it, and x80Ti would never be the same again...

2021's x80Ti, 1200 - for a short time, then the prices exploded. Once again, The People said they were okay with it.

2023 should see an x80Ti, but their x80 already took the 1200 spot... [it's not hard to look up what previous x80s were at]

Publishers are pushing for more subscription-based services; battle pass, season pass, etc. It costs more to maintain these services, but that is easily overshadowed if successful.
In game microtransactions evolved to macrotransactions... crap is screwed up, and will be for some time yet, but The People look to be okay with it still.

Anyway, you can't tell folks how to spend their money, so what do you do? Tie 'em up, break their fingers, and smash their PC when they're about to purchase one of these things?
Complaining, boycotts, and review bombing sure as hell doesn't work. "Only money" talks - and well? 4090s sold, 4080s will too, and so on. The trends can only continue, as The People are okay with it.
The problem is that the system in this industry is broken. The people are not wrong to spend their money on what they want. IMO the problems arise when an industry has very little competition. If competition on performance existed then it follows that competition on price would follow. More products of similar performance and features in the same industry reduces the prices because of their similarity. The problem with this industry is that it is niche and constantly in the state of decline so nobody wants to break into it. What you have left are the competitors that were there when there was competition and survived to this day. Because of the above reasons Nvidia can release its products at any price and people will have to buy it if they want a decent enough graphics card.

hannibal

Distinguished
The problem is not Nvidia but the suckers who keep buying these cards at such outrageous prices. I'm not even sure that's it's really the rich who are buying them, and not a bunch of spoiled, fame-seeking streamers who keep maxing out their parents' credit cards in order to show off their new shiny thing.

I think we both will agree: there's nothing normal about this at all.

Maybe not normal, but this is what we get now and in future. 80 and 90 series are for those with too much money.
70 series will be next normal highend about $900 to $1000
60 series is the ne middle range at $600-$800
50 series new low end at $400 to $500
and the rest will by some generation older cards...

Same thing happened with mobile phones some time ago.
Highend cellphones are now $2000+
Middle range $700-$1000
and low end $300-$500

and older models are sold at "discount" Same now. Normal people buy one or two generation old gpus and those with money will buy brand new GPUs. The companies get better value to their stockholders this way.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Same thing happened with mobile phones some time ago.
Highend cellphones are now $2000+
Middle range $700-$1000
and low end $300-$500
At least with cell phones you still have the option of getting Chinese phones that give you 80-95% of the flagship features and performance for $150-250, albeit at the expense of effectively having no warranty and few if any firmware updates.