GeForce2 GTS help PLEASE!!

G

Hi, all,

I have a problem with my new Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 32MB DDR card. The problem is framerates in 3D shooters. First, I'll toss out the ol' system specs:

AMD K6-II/450MHz
Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 GTS 32MB DDR
Guillemot Maxisound Fortissimo 3d sound card/accelerator
Gigabyte GA-5AX mobo (F3 BIOS)
192 MB PC-100 SDRAM

OS, Drivers, and other related files:
Win98SE
Detonator 3 v6.31
DirectX 7.0a
Latest AGP drivers for mobo's Ali chipset (agp v1.69)

That's all I can think of right now as far as that goes.

The problem is some pretty horrendous FPS in games like Quake 3 Arena and Half-Life. In HL, my framerate fluctuates between 9 and 25 FPS @ 800x600x16 in OpenGL. I haven't checked my FPS in Q3A, but it runs very choppy.
I've turned off the vsync, and set the buffer flipping to "block transfer," reinstalled several drivers, and tried several tweak guides, but to no avail. Any help with this is very very appreciated!

SSJ Gogeta

Zenthar

Distinguished
Did you have any video card in your PC before. I had such a problem and found out that I had old ATI tasks running in background. Once I removed it, my FPS more than doubled ....

G

Thanks for the reply, Zenthar, I didn't think of trying that... unfortnately, see below :(.

I checked for residual info from my TNT2, and as far as I can tell, I do not have any on the system. I may just give 'er the old reformat. I'd hate to tho. Formatting 30 GB worth of drivespace is so annoying. But I would REALLY like to not have to, so if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks much,
Gogeta

G

If you do format, create a small 300-400 MB partition for the OS and use the rest for other data.