GeForce3 supporting Glide?

xdarque

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2001
I heard a rumor that GeForce3 drivers will support Glide (as well as D3D and OpenGL, of course), given that nVidia now owns 3dfx. Or do GeForce2 drivers already support Glide? Anyone know anything about this?

This would be pretty cool, since that would mean that I could get rid of my old Monster3D-II once I get a new GeForce2 or GeForce3...

Thanks,
xdarque

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
All GeForce cards except the GeForce 2 go, use the same unified drivers. They don't support Glide. Things may however be different with the next card, as it will have some 3dfx/Gigapixel technology.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

G

and if it did, then glide would have evolved into a better api but the thing is it was ment for voodoo chips only. I'm sure nvidia learnt much from how glide works but would have passed it along to microsoft as nvidia and microsoft both ride directx. Introducing a new api wouldn't be a good idea.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Just to support old Glide games. I would like to play my Janes F15 on something other than software mode.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say, today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I tried clide, mGlide, openGlide, xGlide? and a bunch of others, I can't remember the names. One of them screwed up some of my other dual api (glide/dx) games. Some of them try to force you to use glide when the find it.

None of them worked with that game.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say, today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

G

While we're on the topic of GeForces and Glide, what are people's experiences running the original Tribes with a GeForce2 MX/GTS/Pro/etc. card?

m19

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sure nvidia learnt much from how glide works but would have passed it along to microsoft as nvidia and microsoft both ride directx

Both ride glide they have orgy's with glide.

Nvidia = microsoft sellouts

Wouldn't be surprizing if nvidia started to dis-like open-source.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Proprietary API's maybe a thing in the past but Nvidia has proprietary OpenGL extensions in which they do not allow other companies to use. ATI started duplicating a couple of Nvidia OpenGL extensions in which Nvidia made ATI remove them from their drivers since they where Nvidia extensions. So much for <b>Open</b>GL. Reason for many demoes not working on other video cards is due to Nvidia lack of openness with a supposenly open standard. Which really hurts nVidia more then it helps as far as I see it. Also it braches out the graphics industry instead of bringing it together.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I thought every chip manufacturer added gl extensions to take advantages of capabilities of their hardware the latest opengl doesn;t support. Most of these features then slowly make it to the next version of opengl. I do have to admit, new versions don't exactly come out very frequently.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

G

OpenGL is theoretically open, heavy emphasis on theoretically. My read on OpenGL of late mentions that
you can graft extensions and functionality onto OpenGL, and hope that everyone agrees to standardize it into the next official release; given that, I suppose that Nvidia does have some right to hide what savvy people today call
'intellectual property,' much to the chagrin of us users

*judicious swearing deleted for the more sensitive eared of us*