Geil Puts RGB LEDs On DDR4 Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
alright, I thought I would never plug a floppy power connector into a memory dimm

i'm going to predict that in a few years the frequency pushing through those circuits would be so high it would dissipate into light ,
transparent plastic for the top of the memory dims and you can see light coming from them when the memory bank gets hit !

c0rr0sive

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
Hrm, similar to Crucial Tracers, but poorly implemented... I will admit, Tracers back during DDR2 failed quite often, but the few packs I have purchased for DDR3-1600 systems seem to hold up VERY nicely... GEIL needs to take a step back and figure out how to do one of two things... #1 - use the power from the memory slots. #2 - if they can't figure out a way to program the LED coloration and such via the socket, add a micro usb port on each stick that you can plug in and do the programming, then remove and go on to the next stick.

Lutfij

Titan
Not impressed at all - they went overboard with the RGB idea. Th concept is awesome regardless being the first folks to put RGB on a ram module but all that power from a connector?

Gzerble

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Ah yes, yet another part for the people who think that LEDs make things run faster. I suppose there will always be the gamers that want to show off their "elite" rig. Personally, I don't get why someone would pay extra to add another point of failure with negative performance gains (LEDs create heat) other than being stupid... but I suppose "looks cool" is good enough for people willing to spend thousands of dollars to shut their kids up.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Pointless. Lights in fans I can just about understand, but if you want case lighting you're better off either getting a case that comes with it as standard, or getting LED strips and setting them up yourself.

System components should be focused on what they're meant to do, rather than on lighting up, as that's a secondary feature at best, or compromising performance at worst (many fans that light up aren't great fans).

nycalex

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
seriously......
gay rainbow colored keyboards, mices, headsets, fans, motherboards, and now.....memory?

ok, call your friends and tell them how cool you are for having a rainbow colored computer, LOL.

seriously.......

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The article states they're physically & electrically separate boards, which is why they require external power.

That's like 500 THz. So, um, no.

There will be light reaching your DIMMs if/when there's an optical interconnect, but they'd probably try to avoid any leakage, in order to maintain signal integrity.

I think what's more likely to happen is that your main RAM moves inside your CPU package (like HBM). DIMM slots (or the equivalent) will be used for persistent memory, to replace your SSD.

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
Wow. I have the Geil Super Luce kit, which (mine) has white LED's on the ram. They look great and don't require any special connectors. RGB from a separate power source though? ehhhh...NO. What's worse is each stick requires a power connector, so if you have a 4x kit (or god forbid an 8x kit) you'll need that many power cables running to a splitter hooked up to a USB header. I understand the want for RGB (heck, my whole build is based on it) but when it's implemented this poorly it just doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.