General Education *DELETED* *DELETED*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
ok, at least you're not stupid and can look things up ...

you can't see a sarcastic remark when you see one only tells me you are quite naive.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Or perhaps you're the naive one, since you didn't realize how hard it is to get sarcasm to come across properly in text?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

dancen

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I don' t know what this has to do with Cpus but fot some reason I just have to post here. There was a lot of name calling going on and I don't think it is fair to say that someone is stupid because the believe in something that you don't. Most things we know is based on our point of view or lack of true information. Most of us learned evolution in school so we believe it, most Muslims learned creation so they believe it. In reality it not proven either way - evelution is just a theory and pepole who believe in creation don't really know how god did it. Both sides are filled with half truths within there own beliefs - case in point the bible doesn' t say the earth is 6000 years old it says humans are 6000 years old which is intresting as was said before that humans did seem to spring up about 6000 years ago also most evolutionist would agree that in the fossel record huge amounts of life did just come out of "nothing" they just have a another way of explaining it. evolution is not 99% proven it is more like 30%(but scientist don't have any other ideas so this is the "most" true to them) . I think if you had an open mind you could "prove" either theory. A thousand years ago you could "prove" the earth is flat, who knows how our thinking will change as new thinks are found out? ( one interesting thing is that the bible says that the earth is a "sphere or circle hanging on nothing" in the book of Job thousands of years before it was "proved"). Please just because you believe or learned one way of thinking do not think it is the right way.

oh god ...

Sorry but newyorkers don't wait and tell you at first "hey i'm being sarcastic". usually if your smart enough you can tell within the context.

it doesn't matter and do yourself a favor and just end it. Why did you even bother to start your sh'it anyway. just drop it already.

it's my fault your to stupid to get a joke or a sarcastic remark. You need to get out more!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm sorry, but what are you talking about? How would you prove the earth is flat? That's not possible! The Earth is neither a sphere nor a circle so we can discount that, and evolution is, yes, a theory, but it is not based on half-truths. It is not a complete law in which we can draw a straight line from point A to point B; it is more a connecting of the dots. There are way more than 30% of the dots present on that line. More and more dots are being added as time goes by.

Humans aren't 6000 years old. They are 100-150 thousand years old. The bible is wrong. There are more than enough fossils and artifacts to disprove the bible.

I challenge anyone to prove the bible using the scientific method. Proving that evolution is a viable theory is as easy as going to your local museum, library, university, and zoo. The bible is a book of faith, not a book of science. You don't believe in evolution; you find evidence to support it.

Scientific theory changes based on new evidence. That's the beauty of it. It's constantly changing. As more and more fossils are found, the theory of evolution is strengthened.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
There is no way to understand sarcasm on here unless you announce it. Sorry.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
point of view or lack of true information. Most of us learned evolution in school so we believe it, most Muslims learned creation so they believe it. In reality it not proven either way - evelution is just a theory and pepole who believe in creation don't really know how god did it.

Wrong, comparing evolution to creationism is flawwed at best, there is no comparison, one is a belief despite contrary evidence, the other is an explination which fits the evidence.

Furthermore, calling something "just a theory" clearly shows you dont understand what a theory means in science, and the whole point thusly is invalid.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

why did you even bother posting that?

that was unncessary ... i'm sure he can stick up for himself.

He isn't stupid and i don't think it's right for you to undermind him and implying he is to weak for him t ostick up for himself ...

i don't care if you people don't like me. thats your problem not mind.

unlike a cold, selfish, bigot like yourself i don't dislike or hate anyone here or anywhere for that matter as i don't know any of you people.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
unlike a cold, selfish, bigot like yourself i don't dislike or hate anyone here or anywhere for that matter as i don't know any of you people.

Im a cold selfish bigot?

Run along you malaodorous troll.

yes your a cold selfish bigot .. by continueing to call me names for no reason whatsoever only proves your label.

you started your shi't i'm only finishing it, child.

"And he wonders why no one likes him here."

And how necessary was that? I only attacked as you have.
If you were at all not what i have labeled you you would end it, as this is meaningless.

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
You should have hit him with archaeopteryx!!!!! Basically, the link between reptiles and aves.....scaley feet, hollow bones, teeth, feathers.....the lung fish thing was a good start though.

-Rick

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
There are no jobs for philosophers outside of the university. I don't think there are any philosophical think-tanks.
What?!? No jobs for philosophers...think again. Where do you think quickie marts and retail counters get their hires from? :smile:

-Rick

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
It is philosphy that discovered the atom over 2000 years ago for your information.
That's bold! Even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes. Loafers, sorry, PHILOSOPHERS, do nothing but argue and spue conjecture several times per day....one of those idiotic statements was bound to be true......what about the other 49,546,028,109,198,028,930 pieces of crap that they have suggested? Dude, I'm a biologist by trade, and I hardly conclude that philosphy is the "basic fabric of science". If philosophers weren't so freakin' lazy they would try to prove some of the ridiculous statements they make...but that would be work, and that would be beneath a philosopher, wouldn't it?

-Rick

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
evolution is not 99% proven it is more like 30%(but scientist don't have any other ideas so this is the "most" true to them) . I think if you had an open mind you could "prove" either theory. A thousand years ago you could "prove" the earth is flat, who knows how our thinking will change as new thinks are found out? ( one interesting thing is that the bible says that the earth is a "sphere or circle hanging on nothing" in the book of Job thousands of years before it was "proved").
I guess what we have here is a poor understanding of the word prove (courtesy of dictionary.com):
prove Pronunciation Key (prv)
v. proved, proved, or prov·en (prvn) prov·ing, proves
v. tr.
To establish the truth or validity of by presentation of argument or evidence.
Law. To establish the authenticity of (a will).
To determine the quality of by testing; try out.
I would like to think that evolution is more than 30% proved, given that the fossil line aggregates overwhelmingly conclusive evidence that certain animals have overwhelmingly similar characteristics of their predecessors and future generations. Certain homologous body parts (of many different species -- forelimbs of unguligrades vs. wings of birds) have very different phenotypic expressions, but, upon closer examination, we can see they are not so different after all. When the fossil record is closely examined, you can see a gradual transition from one manifestation to another. I am not saying that there aren;t huge gaps in the fossil record (e.g. - the missing link), but scientists are resolved to find that answer. They have made some bold (BUT REASONABLE) assumptions, and would gladly reject these should someone come up with a more plausible explanation, OR, irrefutable evidence that contradicts previous beliefs. The point being, that science is not blindly inflexible, as are religions, especially zealots, who mistakenly believe their way is the only way.
What really killed your argument was saying that 1000 years ago, someone could prove the earth was flat. They were stupid then, and they would be even dumber now. OK, wrong was a better choice than stupid, but your statement was ridiculous...if sarcasm was intended (and I believe that it wasn't) then you did a poor job of representing that. 1000 years ago, no one ever sailed across the horizon and fell off of the earth. Had something like this happened we would have had some evidence that the earth COULD be flat. Not proof, just evidence. If some medieval scientist then did a double-blind study and sent 1000 random ships toward the horizon, and 993 of them fell off; I would say you were strongly teetering on proof. It wasn't provable then, and it still isn't. Don't proliferate stupidity, it doesn;t serve any of us well. I know crap about computers (more than most, but not as much as many of the trained (or untrained as is often the case) professionals here) but I come here to listen, learn, and participate when I can. I don't spout anything that I can't backup....which is why you'll never hear me banter about overclocking, multipliers, shading and rendering.....you should do the same about topics that you know nothing of. BTW, for decades (centuries, even) Europeans and Americans were taught creationism.....then, at some point, they started to independently analyze the idioms that had been passed on from generation to generation....low and behold, new theories about evolution (with evidence...NOT PROOF), sprang up, and we continue to search for the answers. I have to say, I think that most Christians no longer accept the Bible as fundamentally and historically true. There are a bunch of nice stories that portray good and evil, and help to elucidate to children the merits of a pious life. Perhaps if you read the Qu'ran in the same vein, the world wouldn't appear so dismal to so many muslims. IMHO, many modern day muslims are doomed to repeat the earlier trials and tribulations of the crusaders. By blindly accepting the beliefs of crazed, greedy, and/or immoral leaders, they will plague humanity with a terrible scurvy that only a large war will end. The ultimate result will be heavy losses for both sides, decades of rebuilding, and future generations that will look back and say...."how could they have been so stupid?" Sorry about the length of this, this stuff really gets me going.

-Rick

thats a pretty strong stereotype .. i thought scientist seeks facts. Or are you just a poser by trade. You think you're a biologist but in actuality you're just a college student?

I bet you use philosophy everyday.

Philosophy simply means the "love of wisdom". You can translate that and say it also means "to understand"

and about your statement about philosophers what about the scientists bold sayings such as "it is impossible for a bumble bee to fly" ... "it is impossible for a man to walk on the moon" , "it is impossible for a man to run a mile in so much time" - i know that has been broken by the way, and what about the bold statement "a helicopter can never fly".

so scientist makes ridiculous statements also do they not?
again philosphy and science are so much so related.

it helps to understand what philosphy is and not stereotype those who claimed to be philosphers when they weren't. Open your mind. How can you be a scientist of anything without an open broaded mind of any possiblities of science? Such as time travel. you may say it doesn't exist but you know what, they are working on it right now.

The point is is they had an idea. Philosophy forms an idea and science proves it to be fact or not. With out the idea science cannot prove anything as it doesn't exist.

thats philosphy thats what it is. just the idea and then science takes the idea and transforms it by proving it to be fact. If it isn't fact then it is tossed.

philosophy ='s idea.

get it? philosphy is not an indiviudal person or group of people. You cannot take philosophy and make it physical because it is not. It is an intangible thing. it forms ideas which science is based on. without ideas no science exists.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
"And he wonders why no one likes him here."

And how necessary was that? I only attacked as you have.
If you were at all not what i have labeled you you would end it, as this is meaningless.

LOL, if you say so dude, you consider that an attack?

Maybe pointing out how rude you were, I most certainly did not attack you first.

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Been trying to think of a witty, intelligent response to some of these postings, but the truth is, anything posted here isnt going to be 'enlightening' anyone. Someone who can write "muslims are morons" is clearly so psychologically immature and emotionally retarded that they do not seem to realise how apparent it is that they are demonstarting their own inadequacy to everyone else.
The only thing we intelligent ones can do is tolerate them, and pity them.
For the record, i am agnostic.

i am rude .. and what benefit did you gain out of pointing that out? Is he not capable of speaking for himself? He does have a tongue or rather hands and eyes does he not? He must if at first have typed what he said.

As the marry-go-round goes round and round, so should you mind your business. It's good practice you should study the discipline. It will save you time and the person your intruding on as well.

Please don't waste my time. That in itself is very rude.

Ahh hypocrite! Are you not rude yourself at times? So why point it out to someone when you yourself become rude at times as well.

dancen

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I'm sorry that I was not more clear with what I ment about proving the earth was flat. What I am saying is that at that time by the evidence they had they could "prove" that the earth was flat. As time when on and they got new understanding this of coarse changed. My point is that 1000 years ago if you said the earth was not flat people would think you are crazy.Later the earth was "really" proven to be a sphere ( someone said the earth is not a sphere? What is it then?). Science changes over time there are somethings that are not Fact yet. You seem to think I am some unread moron, I believe I have probably read more books on evolution and creation then most people in this thread. I can't tell you how many 500 page books on evolution are based on a very small skull fragment and manybe part of a toe. (this ia not proof to me. It is thory not fact.)I have a question to you - prove that creation is not true. There are not as many bones and fossels as you think there is to prove evolution - the total amount could fit into one coffin.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dancen on 04/11/02 10:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
You mean like the egyptian who estimated the circumference of the earth? (I forget his name, ptolomy?) or the fact that sails were (and still are) seen on ships coming over the horizon first? would columbus have even tried to go to the east indies by sailing west if he didn't think the earth was flat? no.
the myth that people thought the earth was flat is false.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Creation theory offers no proof whatsoever (using lines within a book to prove the book and all it says is true is circular logic and no proof at all) whereas evolutionary theory does.

MStakem

dhlucke

Polypheme
The earth is an oblate spheroid. It bulges at the equator due to the slowing of the Earth's rotation.