[SOLVED] General help with pc build

dvrk89

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2014
Good morning all,

So I am getting ready to build a gaming pc. I have a decent amount saved up to spend. I really am looking for some guidance on the actual build. I am looking into CPUS and all and seeing that more with 12 core or higher have lower GHz. Does this matter? Same with for example reads that I have done about i7 being better than i9 etc. I am honestly looking to build a 12th GEN. with some of the new DDR5 paired with a Z690 MOBO. Just really would appreciate some insight on the build etc. Thank you so much!

Solution
The general consensus so far, subject to change, if you want Intel, seems to be:

12600K if your budget allows it.

Maybe wait 2 or 3 months for a 12400 if your budget won't allow a 12600K

12700K very little advantage. 12900K if you don't mind the expense and are willing to deal with more heat and diminishing returns.

DDR4 because DDR5 is quite pricey and unrefined at this point. A year from now, maybe you'd go with DDR5.

I don't game, but I guess gamers have come to the conclusion that more than 6 cores is typically wasted and that single thread strength still counts for something.

A gaming fan should probably be able to give you a more complete answer.
The general consensus so far, subject to change, if you want Intel, seems to be:

12600K if your budget allows it.

Maybe wait 2 or 3 months for a 12400 if your budget won't allow a 12600K

12700K very little advantage. 12900K if you don't mind the expense and are willing to deal with more heat and diminishing returns.

DDR4 because DDR5 is quite pricey and unrefined at this point. A year from now, maybe you'd go with DDR5.

I don't game, but I guess gamers have come to the conclusion that more than 6 cores is typically wasted and that single thread strength still counts for something.

A gaming fan should probably be able to give you a more complete answer.

Solution