Question General question from creator, non-gamer

tluxon

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
Professionally, I've spent a lot of time using CAD since the early 80s and solid modeling since the mid-90s. Personally, I also do a lot of video rendering and hope to move into the Ai enhancement side of programs like DaVinci Resolve.

My "daily driver" - for email, office programs, web browsing, light editing - has been a PC I put together in 2012 in a Corsair R500 using a ASUS P8Z68-VPRO, a Intel i5-2500K CPU, 16 GB of RAM, and a Radeon 7770 GPU. I've done any heavy lifting with repurposed workstations that have Xeon CPUs and NVidia Quadro GPUs.

With the last iteration of Prime Day Deals on Amazon, I decided it was finally time to overhaul my daily driver. So far, I've picked up the following:

Motherboard ASUS ROG Z690-F
CPU Intel i7-12700K (was KF)
RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32 GB (2x 16 GB)
NVMe M.2 WD Black Gen 4 1 TB SN770
PSU Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W 80+ Gold 10-year warranty
Cooler DeepCool AK400 (hopefully it will fit in the tight space provided)

I have yet to select a GPU because it's hard to get information that's pertinent to me when so much focus seems to be on resolutions, quality settings, and framerates for various video games. I rarely game and when I do it's always on a console connected to a TV.

In my experience, the NVidia Quadro series of GPUs have done a great job of working with complex models (in solid modeling) and encoding, re-encoding video, but it looks like those have been largely replaced by the RTX A series GPUs which seem to be outside my budget of up to $500 (preferably $400) for the GPU.

So, with my biggest concern being rendering speeds for Ai enhancement - with modeling performance a distant second - what kinds of GPUs should I be considering in the sub-$500 range? Or is it not going to make much of a difference.

Thanks!

Edit: I've returned the i7-12700KF CPU and purchased the i7-12700K after learning that the integrated graphics can be efficiently utilized by many editors.

Last edited:

tluxon

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
To add - I just saw news that the RTX 4070 ti with 16 GB VRAM is coming out soon from a couple manufacturers. This brought up a couple more issues.

Someone - who I believed would know - made the comment that I probably wouldn't see any benefit from more than 8 GB of VRAM in the kind of work I've been doing. Perhaps that is true presently, but what if I start doing Ai enhancement (i.e. 1080p to 4K video) in DaVinci Resolve - will I notice the difference then? Or is most of that work being done in system memory?