[SOLVED] General Question OC

Jan 11, 2022
I'm planning on upgrading my CPU and motherboard and wondering if the motherboard matters when it comes to overclocking my CPU. I know all about which CPU's are unlocked for overclocking, but I didn't know if the motherboards were very important as well. I know there's motherboards specifically focused for overclocking like the Asus Hero board. Are their ones you can't overclock because the Hero board types are very expensive and I want a white motherboard.

Solution
I'm planning on upgrading my CPU and motherboard and wondering if the motherboard matters when it comes to overclocking my CPU. I know all about which CPU's are unlocked for overclocking, but I didn't know if the motherboards were very important as well. I know there's motherboards specifically focused for overclocking like the Asus Hero board. Are their ones you can't overclock because the Hero board types are very expensive and I want a white motherboard.
Some reading.

Personally I would not OC but it's your call.
It does matter to some extent.

On recent Intel machines, you would want a Z series motherboard.

How much depends mostly on how far you are trying to overclock.

Overclocking is done less often in recent years.

Would you be doing it to make more money with your PC?

Or as an experiment or hobby?

Or as an extremely serious hobby to which you are willing to devote hundreds of dollars and hours over a long time?

Some reading.

Solution
Jan 11, 2022
Firstly you should pick a CPU.

Intel or AMD?
I haven't decided between Intel and AMD, that's a whole other problem I have to tackle. Currently leaning toward AMD due to never using it and just want to try it out.

It does matter to some extent.

On recent Intel machines, you would want a Z series motherboard.

How much depends mostly on how far you are trying to overclock.

Overclocking is done less often in recent years.

Would you be doing it to make more money with your PC?

Or as an experiment or hobby?

Or as an extremely serious hobby to which you are willing to devote hundreds of dollars and hours over a long time?
I appreciate you pointing out Z series motherboards for Intel because I've been looking at those series based on their popularity. I'm mainly doing it for a hobby and seeing what I can do with it. And to learn how to overclock, just to know.

Some reading.

Thank you for the article, it made it very simple to know which motherboards allow you to overclock your CPU. I noticed it mentioned Z series, just like @Lafong stated. I understand your stance on not overclocking. I know the risks, it's really just to expand my knowledge and know as much as possible when it comes to computers.

Keep in mind that "overclocking" in today's context typically means raising the maximum turbo boost ceiling. Recent processors are specc'd in such a way that they're basically touching their absolute frequency ceilings unless you resort to exotic, sub-ambient cooling. You might be able to push another 200-300MHz, but in the context of say a default ceiling of 5,000MHz, this isn't even close to 10% better. You could do base frequency overclocking and this may raise all-core performance compared to stock settings if you tweak with it. However, all-core overclocking tends to stop short of the maximum turbo boost ceiling.

Whether or not you want to continue to do this is up to you, but I figured I should set expectations here.