Generic inks for CANON printers?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay will be
a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses durabrite which the
generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use this feature so would
generics be ok?

On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so thats a
plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4 sets on ebay for
half the price. It's tempting!

Can anyone say anything positive about generic inks in the canon printers?
My parents have a real old (10+ years) canon bubblejet printer that has been
refilled with black ink alot and it's handled it ok.

aloha

EBay ink = NO
Legitimate 3rd-party ink from reputable supplier = YES

Been using ink from http://www.inkjetsaver.com/ for a couple years in my
Canon with not one head problem. A couple of my tanks are still the
originals.

Brian wrote:
> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay
> will be a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses
> durabrite which the generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use
> this feature so would generics be ok?
>
> On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so
> thats a plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4
> sets on ebay for half the price. It's tempting!
>
> Can anyone say anything positive about generic inks in the canon
> printers? My parents have a real old (10+ years) canon bubblejet
> printer that has been refilled with black ink alot and it's handled
> it ok.
> aloha

I'm just gonna say this: i've had i550 for a year and half. I bought one
refill set of color & Black ink and refilled about 5-6 times in that time.
After this time head went dead. So, now i boght ip4000. BUT, if i calculate
that i would bought 5-6 cart sets in this period, i still saved quite some
money... So, even if printer lasts just over a year, it's worthed. Not to
mention that refill ink print result was just the same as original one.
NOW, at first i thought i'm gonna buy only original from now on...now i'm
not so sure anymore...i think i just might buy refill set again...
It's just....it would be better to order ip4000....much better photo
printing! (just my humble opinion)

Brian wrote:

> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay will be
> a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses durabrite which the
> generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use this feature so would
> generics be ok?

Take a look at "Article from PCWorld on The Poor Permanence of Many Third-Party Inks!"
The link to it is at: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

> On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so thats a
> plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4 sets on ebay for
> half the price. It's tempting!

They are? I doubt.

BCI-6 13ml ink for S900/S9000, 9100 and 9900 (and possibly
many others) cost in retail $10-$12 a piece, online around
$8 and up.

Epsons archival pigment inks for 2200 and such cost...
the same. I see prices of $7 to $12 in retail and online.
Search for T0342nn and see for yourself. My impression
is that these inks cost the same.

And: Canon inks might fade faster you wish they would!
I have a large Canon printer, we have to print anew many
faded images.

Thomas

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

The Epson ink for my old C82 was about $35 in store for a black, and $13 per
color. I sold the leftover inks I had from all my warranty replacements and
got $50 per set of 4 cartridges on ebay. Much more expensive than Canons.
The canon ip3000 should ship out monday from office max this should be more
durable than that poor epson was!

"ThomasH" <henrymot@some.net> wrote in message
> Brian wrote:
>>
>> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
>> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay will
>> be
>> a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses durabrite which
>> the
>> generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use this feature so would
>> generics be ok?
>
> Take a look at "Article from PCWorld on The Poor Permanence of Many
> Third-Party Inks!"
> The link to it is at: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
>

>> On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so
>> thats a
>> plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4 sets on ebay
>> for
>> half the price. It's tempting!
>
> They are? I doubt.
>
> BCI-6 13ml ink for S900/S9000, 9100 and 9900 (and possibly
> many others) cost in retail $10-$12 a piece, online around
> $8 and up.
>
> Epsons archival pigment inks for 2200 and such cost...
> the same. I see prices of $7 to $12 in retail and online.
> Search for T0342nn and see for yourself. My impression
> is that these inks cost the same.
>
> And: Canon inks might fade faster you wish they would!
> I have a large Canon printer, we have to print anew many
> faded images.
>
> Thomas

In article Brian says...
> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay will be
> a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses durabrite which the
> generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use this feature so would
> generics be ok?

Generics still don't match Canon quality overall but the colours used in
your iP3000 may be OK
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=11193434

"Brian" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone say anything positive about generic inks in the canon
printers?

Yes, I'm positve about generic inks in Canon printers - providing your
generic ink is reputable, they don't seem to be the cause of major
problems - *but* ... read on!

I too, dumped Epson after my Photo 700 head expired. It worked
extremely well for several years before the head clogged beyond my
ability to recover it (generic refills, I cut away a part of the
printer case to allow refilling whilst the heads were parked).

I then purchased a BJC-6200 around 2 years ago and refilled with
generic inks. Since then, my hi res paper purchases indicate our
BJC-6200 has printed no more than 1500 to 1700 pages of around an
estimated 10 to 15% coverage.

I use the 6200 with a Photo Cartridge and a CMY Cartridge installed.
The killer has been the number of head replacements (cartridges)
required and their high costs. I've had to replace 7 heads (4 CMY and
3 Photo cartridges). One of those six head failures was possibly my
own fault - in a last ditch attempt to recover a failed cartridge, I
most likely caused the second one of the pair to also fail.

I've just had another CMY cartridge/head fail two weeks ago - the
fifth CMY (including the original supplied with the printer). The
printer no longer recognises the failed cartridge (error message: "no
cartridge fitted"). At AUS$175 average price for the pair of
cartridges (BCI-31 and BCI-32), the head costs have eclipsed the cost
of inks by far. The cost of the printed pages has been uneconomic.
Head failures caused by bad ink, perhaps? Possible, I suppose, but
several head replacements occurred when the printer failed to
recognise its own cartridges, which I believe is caused by an
electronic failure inside the printhead/cartridge. My inks were
obtained from an Australian supplier, Stroudco, which I understand has
a good reputation for ink.

I needed to buy an i865 earlier this year, for the printable DVD
ability. I read in the ng that many are having to replace heads in
this printer too, so I'm trying to keep this printer for DVD's only.
I guess I've reached the point where I'll eventually dump ink jets for
everything except printable DVD's (and the occasional photo). A
colour laser would make much more sense for printing brochures (with
small photos incorporated), notwithstanding the less pleasing visual
appeal compared to inkjet printed pages.

I won't ever touch Epson again, the "chipping" of their cartridges
sees to that, yet for us, Canon elevated inkjet print costs to obscene
levels with their poor printhead durability, far above Epson print
costs. There's a real opening for a printer company to make and
market an upper end printer at relatively high cost, but with
consumables at a realistic level. For the moment, the inkjet
companies are making far too much profit to change their strategy.
It's hard to see how this might change any time soon, because for the
moment, the inkjet companies have us by the short and curlies.

Regards,
Hughy

I cannot comment of the quality of generic inks for Canon printer sold
on ebay. I would be surprised anyone else could either, without knowing
specifically which inks or vendor is involved. They aren't all the same.

The inks for the C82 you were using (assuming you were using Epson OEM
ink) are use pigments and are waterproof and fairly fadeproof.

You will not find the same thing with Canon inks, even those from Canon.

Art

Brian wrote:

> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay
> will be a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses
> durabrite which the generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use
> this feature so would generics be ok?

I have a very lightly used (less than 200 pages) S520 that died right after
I installed Best Buy's ink.

Coincidence? Don't know...

Did that void the warranty? What did Canon say?

Bill Crocker