Question Generic Lockups on Ubuntu, please help me read my system logs

Philipjustanewbie

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Dell Latitude 7480 i5-6300u Running Pop os, Ubuntu, Zorin
Experiencing generic freezes, the only thing that works is holding the power button.

What I have tried:
Fresh installs Pop os, Ubuntu, Zorin
New Fan, Heatsink, and thermal paste (confirmed that I am not overheating, and fan works)
Ran Memtestx86, ram tested good with no errors
Ran NVME test (see pictures)
So now I installed a system log program and captured a screenshot of what is happening when the system crashes. But I am a newb and don't know what I am looking at.
Any ideas are appreciated!

View: https://imgur.com/a/XfStC46

Dell Latitude 7480 i5-6300u Running Pop os, Ubuntu, Zorin
Experiencing generic freezes, the only thing that works is holding the power button.

What I have tried:
Fresh installs Pop os, Ubuntu, Zorin
New Fan, Heatsink, and thermal paste (confirmed that I am not overheating, and fan works)
Ran Memtestx86, ram tested good with no errors
Ran NVME test (see pictures)
So now I installed a system log program and captured a screenshot of what is happening when the system crashes. But I am a newb and don't know what I am looking at.
Any ideas are appreciated!

View: https://imgur.com/a/XfStC46
It seems like there is a driver issue... not saying I'm right about this, but from what I can see it seems like it's having a path way issue which typically means the chipset drivers aren't installed and having an effect and the cpu decoding.

Philipjustanewbie

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
It seems like there is a driver issue... not saying I'm right about this, but from what I can see it seems like it's having a path way issue which typically means the chipset drivers aren't installed and having an effect and the cpu decoding.
Hmm, thats interesting. I would have thought those drivers were right in the Linux kernel by now.

Philipjustanewbie

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
No motherboard drivers will never come standard on any os.... even if they due most of the time os's are dumb and can't read the board right end up installing similar drivers but not the right drivers so it's always best to install them manually.
Do I want the Ubuntu 16.04 drivers from Dell? Those are the only Ubuntu ones I see for this laptop.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
No motherboard drivers will never come standard on any os.... even if they due most of the time os's are dumb and can't read the board right end up installing similar drivers but not the right drivers so it's always best to install them manually.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but motherboard (and other) drivers do come built into the linux kernel, or are at least provided by the particular distribution.

OP, see this article that talks about installing any additional drivers that might not be included by default: