[SOLVED] Generic mb, gpu, psu HELP

Kristomani

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Hi

As a father of 4, I'd want to build a couple of gaming pc's. I am naturally on a budget and can't afford to build 4, but I'm thinking of getting my boards from China (please don't judge me, don't know if this attitude is welcome here 😊) Now I got a couple of i5-3770 Lga1155 cpus on my hand for about 40 dollar each and thinking this should be a ok start? But feel free to advice.
So, does anybody have some recommendation or experience with non-branded/generic mb, gpu, psu and so on, I'd like to hear from you.

Now Fortnite, Skyrim and the new games that kids from 8 to 18 is what should be able to run.

If my wife and I could use one of them to run musical software sometimes, it'll be nice too. I have some experience with Cubase and wavelab, so that is my reference.

Have a nice day😊

Solution
I think it's the best idea to just go and buy 4 dell optiplexes, and just fit a 1660 super or 2060 in it.

Otherwise, here is a "cheap" 2019 build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
Motherboard: AsRock A320M Pro4 R2.0
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 4x4GB 2133 C13
SSD: Kingston A400 240GB SSD
Case: Sharkoon V1000 Micro ATX Case
PSU: Gigabyte GP-P650B 650W PSU

Total: €435,- / $485

Notice:
  • The Ryzen-CPU has integrated graphics. So I picked multiple RAM-sticks. This is because multi-channel RAM is better. Integrated Graphics demand a lot of multi-channel RAM.
  • I picked a high watt PSU, for when your kids want to buy a GPU with their own money. The PSU might have to be replaced with a...
Many people come here on very strict budgets. Used prebuilts is the way to go instead of parts of questionable model and quality. I'd return the cpus if you can. Buying old components separately is more expensive. You can buy an entire pc with a i7 3770 for around 150 maybe less depending on the deals. You won't be able to buy mobo+ram+hdd+case+windows for 110. I left out psu and gpu because you will upgrade them when buying used prebuilts for gaming.

Nearly all parts are from china regardless so I'll be referring to quality. I'd much rather buy used quality components that will last another 10+ years than low quality components that may not even make it to 5. Non branded gpus are fake gpus that are not the model they say they are. Low quality psus can be fireworks boxes. You don't want to save money just to risk burning your house down.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
I think it's the best idea to just go and buy 4 dell optiplexes, and just fit a 1660 super or 2060 in it.

Otherwise, here is a "cheap" 2019 build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
Motherboard: AsRock A320M Pro4 R2.0
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 4x4GB 2133 C13
SSD: Kingston A400 240GB SSD
Case: Sharkoon V1000 Micro ATX Case
PSU: Gigabyte GP-P650B 650W PSU

Total: €435,- / $485

Notice:
  • The Ryzen-CPU has integrated graphics. So I picked multiple RAM-sticks. This is because multi-channel RAM is better. Integrated Graphics demand a lot of multi-channel RAM.
  • I picked a high watt PSU, for when your kids want to buy a GPU with their own money. The PSU might have to be replaced with a stronger PSU if the GPU demands more power.
  • Storage can be extended by for instance a 1tb HDD.
  • The case is completely optional. I'd let your kids pick their own case, but keep in mind: It NEEDS to be a Micro-ATX case, or anything bigger than that. The motherboard won't fit into a ITX/Micro-ITX case.
  • The PSU is non-modular. It's cheap, but it can get messy with cables in the case.
These builds can be upgraded or expanded in any way. Just do some good research before you buy something.

(Be carefull with buying optiplexes and putting GPU's in them. If the optiplex is the small variant, you'll need a slim GPU. Those tend to not go higher that a 1660.)

Don't forget that a windows license can be expensive.

Last edited:
Solution