Genius Intros Wireless Mouse Without a Battery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RaptorHunter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

So put a rechargeable battery in the mouse and don't worry about it.

Why would I want to recharge a mouse *every* single day, when only have to recharge my battery powered mouse every 2 months?

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
i find this product intresting and inovative, i dont see why you can't just charge it for 1 min the put it back to charge while you read/type and so on.

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]you misspelled battery in the sub-title. "Genius announced a new wireless mouse that uses a gold-capacitor instead of a batter to hold an electrical charge"[/citation]

Maybe you beat it to recharge it.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Aw man, I was thinking that the mouse was going to continuously get a charge through a power pad type of device, which would double a mouse pad. But this is still a great invention, nonetheless. I can't see any reasonable complaints about a 3 minute charge time.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]you misspelled battery in the sub-title. "Genius announced a new wireless mouse that uses a gold-capacitor instead of a batter to hold an electrical charge"[/citation]

Maybe not !
The batter contains baking soda. Add a few drops of lime juice and it releases CO2. If the containment area is a closed pressure capsule you generate an overpressure which you can release thru a nano-turbine which in turn powers a nano-generator. Any voila, you have yourself a charged mouse from a few drops of lime juice.

Of course you'd have to change the 'batter' every once in a while because (a) the baking powder will be used up and (b) in may get moldy.
But still, beats having a wire attached to it :)

God, what did I have in my coffee this morning... :)

G

I have a ms wireless mouse 5000. It takes 2aa's and it lasts about a year and has a smooth scroll wheel. It works very well. Paying a lot for batteries is unacceptable but this is a small expense. The capacitor power supply is a decent idea but I'd still find myself not always putting it in it's charger. It's another thing to plug in to 110 and another item taking up desk space. The power matt is a decent idea also but it would have to work as a mouse pad as well and even then if you are one that moves the mouse pad around dragging that corded mat wouldn't work.

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
A wireless mouse that does not use a Battery but instead a capacitor that you need to charge up ... exactly like how a capacitor works...like um freaking a battery, lolololololololol

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I don't see the point of this. When the alkaline AAs in my mouse died a few days ago, I put in some NiMH rechargeables. Those NiMH batteries aren't hard to produce and they're compatible with quite a few things - if this mouse dies, I can use the batteries in another mouse or a camera. This is still an interesting concept though.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
$40 is a great price for that. I hope it works better than my solar logitech keyboard... which cannot hold a charge for its life.

berk98

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I honestly don't care how long a rechargeable wireless mouse lasts or takes to recharge. All I want is a mouse I can still use while it recharges.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
it would be very easy to develop a truly battery free mouse (and other electronics) but then how would corporations get insane profits selling batteries? often proprietary.

it would be easy there's already many technologies available. a mouse is per say a device that NEEDS to be moved in order to use it. There's many and not new implementations of kinetic power that could provide all the needed power for the device to work.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]What we need is the wireless power we were promised. In this case the mouse would get it's power wirelessly from the USB dongle, while simultaneously sending it's signal back to the adapter.GET ON IT MIT!!![/citation]
A4 Tech has had this for years. I recall selling a computer with one more than 6 years ago. The mouse would get its power from the mousepad via induction.

G

A4 Tech's NB-30 BatteryFree Wireless Optical Mouse is one of their models which uses a wired induction mousepad. The mouse only works while on that mousepad, so it's not exactly a "mobility" solution.

G

Well Logitech anywhere mouse MX takes two AAA batteries which can be rechargables and don't need to be worried about for many, many months of uninterrupted 12hr+/day use
Yeah I think I'll stick with that. Logitech's full size and anywhere MX w/ darkfield are the only think anyone should buy unless they need an ultra high resolution for design/drawing.

[citation][nom]groveborn[/nom]Add a normal rechargeable battery to it to charge the capacitor. Recharge the battery once per month. Why is this not done?[/citation]

Would that defeat the point of the capacitor?
[citation][nom]caskachan[/nom]A wireless mouse that does not use a Battery but instead a capacitor that you need to charge up ... exactly like how a capacitor works...like um freaking a battery, lolololololololol[/citation]

Capacitors and batteries are two different technologies. The main advantage of batteries over capacitors is that they have longer charges but the main advantage of capacitors is they charge faster.
Like some other posters have said I think the best solution for a wireless desktop mouse is something like the "A4 Tech's NB-30 BatteryFree Wireless Optical Mouse" that is wirelessly powered by the mouse pad.

If you don't like the solution then the one proposed by another commenter earlier about using the wheel on the mouse as a generator could be good to. If the mouse is getting low on a charge then you just move the mouse to somewhere where the wheel doesn't do anything with the computer (like the desktop) and turn it. I removed a part of my mouse that stops the wheel from smoothly scrolling so if I rub my finger by it quickly one way it will keep spinning very fast for a few more seconds after I release my finger, that could power the mouse well.

r0ck3tm@n

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
[citation][nom]bartholomew[/nom]IMHO, a wireless mouse seems kinda unnecessary[/citation]

We live our lives now based upon necessity? Ah, no. I have been using and very much enjoying my Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700. Best mouse I have ever used. It uses one rechargeable AA NiMH battery, I just have to remember to plug in the usb cable before I go to bed. Or not, I have two extra batteries charged and ready sitting on my desk, check out the Walmart battery isle. In coming years I won't be using any primary cell batteries (non-rechargeable) except for emergencies.

Using a capacitor is a great solution. I like NiMH batteries better but when the capacitor technology matures, well, we'll see.

PrvtChurch

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom] (better mice unfortunately use propietary batteries)[/citation]
that's not quite true. some mice DO use proprietary batteries however there are some Higher end mice (such as the Logitech Performance MX) that use regular old AA cells, and I think that the practice of using nonstandard batteries in anything that you can fit a regular battery into is annoying and should be stopped.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]lumberjack86[/nom]The global destruction caused by the production of batteries is becoming quite bad. While gold mining can be somewhat as bad, the consequences of batteries over time is significantly worse. 40$ for a mouse isn't a high price for what you are getting out of it and the money you save by not having to use batteries. Your argument against this seems to be that you are too lazy to charge it every day so you dismiss it as being expensive, low quality, and unreliable which i find ridiculous.[/citation]

Umm first of all, yes battery usage is an issue, but there are a myriad of ways you can recycle batteries that's its heresy that consumers still throw out batteries.

Second, $40 is high price for a mouse since rechargeable batteries kill your logic of saving money on batteries.

Third, what does make this mouse worth $40 is the 3 minute charge time. I would buy it just because of that...if I were still using wireless mice.

Fourth, Scuffman's not complaining about charging it. Hes arguing that the mouse itself will become defective well before it reaches the 100,000th charge cycle. If we assume 1 charge per day, thats 273 years if theoretical usage. Scuffman I'm assuming doesn't justify the cost of the mouse and the usage of such technology against the fact that the mouse will never last that long. AKA, too much technology in a mouse. NOW, if you can somehow transfer the gold capacitor between mice and lower the price, that would be awesome.

r0ck3tm@n

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
[citation][nom]cpatel1987[/nom]Umm first of all, yes battery usage is an issue, but there are a myriad of ways you can recycle batteries that's its heresy that consumers still throw out batteries.Second, $40 is high price for a mouse since rechargeable batteries kill your logic of saving money on batteries.Third, what does make this mouse worth $40 is the 3 minute charge time. I would buy it just because of that...if I were still using wireless mice.Fourth, Scuffman's not complaining about charging it. Hes arguing that the mouse itself will become defective well before it reaches the 100,000th charge cycle. If we assume 1 charge per day, thats 273 years if theoretical usage. Scuffman I'm assuming doesn't justify the cost of the mouse and the usage of such technology against the fact that the mouse will never last that long. AKA, too much technology in a mouse. NOW, if you can somehow transfer the gold capacitor between mice and lower the price, that would be awesome.[/citation]

That is an awesome idea. A capacitor battery that can be used in many things. Someone needs to do that.

I use rechargeable batteries, the NiMH AA's. I like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.