GeoCities Shutting Down For Good

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Geocities was a victim of failing to evolve. Other sites like wordpress.com and blogger came along that simply stomped it into the ground.

It is an end of an era though, I'm glad I can look that far back and remember those times :)

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]I dunno man, there really isn't anything better that you can move onto other than aspiring to be a pirate-ninja.[/citation]

A time-traveling pirate-ninja!

G

My very first website was on GeoCities somewhere around '99/'00. Back then I didn't know a thing about web development, and I loaded it up with animated GIFs and background MIDI. I never really had much content other than some computer hardware buying guides and a few computer tips. It was taken down years ago, though. I forget whether I removed it or if it expired from disuse.

gero1369

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I had a Geocities site. I still have some of my pix hosted there for my listings on eBay. I don't have time or patience to update the 1000 listings that I have up:( I didn't mind paying the $5/month for access that way. HMMM...

Verdauga

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I had a GeoCities site for all of 6 months (many many years ago) before the highly intrusive ads just drove me nuts. At the time I could have ad-free hosting with my ISP (not with my own domain, but there is always redirects)

Honestly....good riddance...I never saw a good GeoCities website, ever.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I have to admit, GeoCities was a blight upon the internet, even back in the earlier days when the majority of the populace wasn't on the net, it was still the "AOL" of website hosting, and thus, it was bad ;-).

I'm glad its gone. You get tired of trying to research something and ending up having to filter through thousands of geocities "websites" with utterly useless information on them.

G

Dex said it is up and running elsewhere and has been since GeoCities closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.