[SOLVED] Germ Guardian AC4825 with Custom Built Computer ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
Hello Everyone I bought - https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/germgu...h-true-hepa-uv-c-odor-reduction/6000200880164 in May I recently had to purchase a new filter of this - View: https://imgur.com/a/N6UcFYL
in July so I've had the new filter for about 2 months and I'm still noticing Dust on my classes, in Computer Tower my room size is maybe 167.9 feet so maybe a little over the recommended space for this filter...

Now I'm wondering why?

And if maybe I should invest in this one - https://www.guardiantechnologies.co...-reduction-28-inch-tower-by-germguardian.html

Solution
So the basic "issue" is "and I'm still noticing Dust ", even after this new filter.
Correct?

Unless your room is totally sealed (it isn't), and positive pressure that is totally filtered (it isn't)...the rest of the house is in your environment.

Any dust particles that exist elsewhere in the house WILL migrate to all spaces inside.

Oh, there's a cat? Every time you go into your room, you are transferring cat dander into your room.

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
No device will make your room 100% dust free, unless you go to extraordinary measures (like to create your own personal "clean room"). Is there a difference in the quantity of dust from before you had this device in use?

Yes when i first got this air purifier I could notice the difference of dust off my glasses.

Since I bought the replacement a little dust has come back onto my glasses then the original that came with the Air Purifier if that makes sense

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
Do you have your windows/doors open more now than usual? Is the replacement filter the same as the original one?

Nope all windows closed, Bedroom door always closed unless I need to go downstairs then I need to open it for a min or two be able to go downstairs then when I come back upstairs

Noma Widow Air Conditioner is still in my window but not on unless its warm as its turning out to be a warm Fall

This is the replacement I bought - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0055521W0/ref=sns_myd_detail_page

Its located in my bedroom of a 2 story house that has 3 bedrooms (2 upstairs 1 downstairs), 1 living room, 1 kitchen, 1 basement ...... My room is the only one with a HEPA Air Purifier as I'm always in my room like 90% of the time

I'm also waiting back to hear from Gem Guardian about this as well as its the weekend it could be a bit

Last edited:

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
A lot of "dust" is....you. Dead and sloughed off skin cells.

Even when I'm cleaning my glasses everyday around 2:00 pm or sometimes 4:00 pm?

So the air purifier from walmart....after running for a while, is the filter full of gunk?
If so, it is doing what it needs to do.

The last one was yes I could tell that even after 2 months i could see black underneath the pre-filter

This is my current one 2 months after being bought -

View: https://imgur.com/a/oj4cldQ

pre filter side-
View: https://imgur.com/a/mfbLoDb

Air purifiers are not made to keep a room dust free. To seal off a room from dust you need to set it up like a clean room, seal it, keep the air flow moving through filters and limit what is brought in and out of the room. Keeping the air cleaner is not the same as making the room free of dust or other particles. Less dust maybe, no dust won't happen without a sealed room and a bunny suit when you walk in through an airlock.

Reactions: EsmaFingerpin

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
You mentioned a Window air conditioner - has its' filter been cleaned?

Yes its a 6000 BTU so its digital and I clean the filter every time the clean filter light comes on

How good is the seal around the window AC?

Here's a picture of it - View: https://imgur.com/a/kA4hCEI

Also: what to you have for normal heating/cooling/ventilation that is built into your room?

Floor vents like this - View: https://imgur.com/a/AhiKi6Z

It's taped cause I was finding it more dusty with it untapped and when the heat is on it gets really warm in my room fast so i decided to just tape it

The house itself is really old and needs to be redone which it should be eventually hopefully redone the landlord is still working on redoing another property before this one then will be doing this one.

Ralston18

Titan
I am in agreement with the preceding posts.

The dust in the room is from you, visitors, rugs, clothing, papers, books, boxes, wall/attic insulation, so on and so forth....

With everything sealed up any airflows that still exist may be bringing more particles in via floor, wall, and ceiling openings - cracks, holes, joints. All the more so for an older home that has a history and likely lots of dust piled up in more remote nooks and crannies.

Even opening the door into your spaces could bring in a swirl of more particles from other rooms.

The dust will never all go away aside from creating (as mentioned) a clean room of some sort.

There will be dust even after the remodeling. And if you live there during the remodeling there will likely be even more dust....

One last comment: The sealed and taped up window holding the AC - is that the only window? Is the window a potential fire escape?

Could you get out in a hurry through the window if you had to do so?

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
One last comment: The sealed and taped up window holding the AC - is that the only window? Is the window a potential fire escape?

Could you get out in a hurry through the window if you had to do so?

No its on the 2nd Floor even if I wanted to it would be like more then a 6 - 10 feet from that window to the ground

There is another window in the bedroom across the hall which is always closed has been for months now

The window in the bedroom across the hall would work better for a fire escape as it ledge and from that ledge its maybe 5-7 feet to the ground

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
Will work as a fire escape if the window actually opens..... Check it.

Ummm Yeah it opens ...... How you think I got the air conditioner in the window?? I just magically broke the window.

It would be at least a 8 ft drop from that window to outside to what fire trucks have told me looking from outside when they were at a neighbors house.

I've lived here for 8 years never have had to use it as a fire escape and there has never been a fire here

Btw it doesn't stay open long enough to use it as a fire escape you would have to hold it open and climb out at the same time or take it out the window completely like i do when putting air conditioner in or taking it out for winter.

The window across in the room across the hall i dont have to hold open just push it up and stays open the one in my room doesn't work that way though never has for 8 years.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Ummm Yeah it opens ...... How you think I got the air conditioner in the window?? I just magically broke the window.

Btw it doesn't stay open long enough to use it as a fire escape you would have to hold it open and climb out at the same time or take it out the window completely like i do when putting air conditioner in or taking it out for winter.

It would be at least a 8 ft drop from that window to outside to what fire trucks have told me looking from outside when they were at a neighbors house.

I've lived here for 8 years never have had to use it as a fire escape and there has never been a fire here

The window across in the room across the hall i dont have to hold open just push it up and stays open the one in my room doesn't work that way though never has for 8 years.
No one has to use a fire escape.
Until they do.

Reactions: Barty1884

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
No one has to use a fire escape.
Until they do.

This topic isn't about Fire Escape Windows

I'm not sure about you but I wouldn't jump at least 8 feet to a cemmant side walk and injur myself with a medical ambulance bill to pay for and much more.

There is no front yard to this house its maybe 3 feet if that if you want me to take a picture to prove it I will.

And yes where my room is, is the front of the house not the back yard which is like over 10 feet where would you rather land in a 10 foot yard or cemmant side walk?

I lived in a 3 floor apartment building and there was a fire on the 3rd floor near the front door in middle of summer with everyone having air conditioners in windows

We all had to get out and use the back door I think I know about Fire Escape Producers

Now either back topic at hand or just stop commenting thank you.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
A question was asked about possible emergency egress.
"I've lived here for 8 years never have had to use it as a fire escape and there has never been a fire here "

No one has ever had a fire. Until they did, and had to get out.

But, moving on...
You seem to be looking for a "clean room". Totally dust free.
That can't happen in a residential home.

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
But, moving on...
You seem to be looking for a "clean room". Totally dust free.
That can't happen in a residential home.

Really then how do computer builders build custom computers at a residential home?

I know at least 4 Computer Builders who build custom computers in there residential home without dust.

Mine came from a residential home where the builder had it for over a week very little dust that's even with a young child and smoker in that home.

Come back to my place within 3 days you can see the dust

Might wanna try again.
Please remove yourself from my thread cause that in itself is <Mod Edit>

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
You don't need a "clean room" to assemble a PC.
I've built dozens here in my house.

And others in FAR worse conditions.

Obviously you missed my point

He had it for over a week with very little dust

It comes back to my house 3 days later I can ser the dust

Since moving the air purifier back a touch ive noticed the dust less so maybe that could been why too picky machines 🤔

Now I'm going to sleep good night 😴

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
And yes where my room is, is the front of the house not the back yard which is like over 10 feet where would you rather land in a 10 foot yard or cemmant side walk?

I'd rather land on either, opposed to the burn unit (or worse). 🤷‍♂️

Ultimately, the A/C unit removes some air - and you're sealing up the designed route of replacing that air in your floor vents (and I assume cold air returns, if applicable). So you're pulling in air through any opening whatsoever - That won't help your dust challenges.

Ralston hit the nail on the head.

The dust in the room is from you, visitors, rugs, clothing, papers, books, boxes, wall/attic insulation, so on and so forth....

With everything sealed up any airflows that still exist may be bringing more particles in via floor, wall, and ceiling openings - cracks, holes, joints. All the more so for an older home that has a history and likely lots of dust piled up in more remote nooks and crannies.

Even opening the door into your spaces could bring in a swirl of more particles from other rooms.

Mine came from a residential home where the builder had it for over a week very little dust that's even with a young child and smoker in that home.

Come back to my place within 3 days you can see the dust

Then the issue sits with you & your environment.

If everything was 'fine' with the original filter & it's somehow not with the aftermarket/replacement, then either something changed in your environment, or the filter is not fit for purpose. Filters don't vary in quality that much though, so I suspect it's an environmental change... Nothing to do with the filter.

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
Ultimately, the A/C unit removes some air - and you're sealing up the designed route of replacing that air in your floor vents (and I assume cold air returns, if applicable). So you're pulling in air through any opening whatsoever - That won't help your dust challenges.

This house has no central air if it did you really think i would of spent $200.00 on a window air conditioner??

It only has a Furnace which supplys Heat not central air and even my roommates turning the heat on for 10mins last night my room got warm now imagine if those floor vents were untapped I probably would if gotten hot upstairs.

Don't assume things you don't know.

Then the issue sits with you & your environment.

If everything was 'fine' with the original filter & it's somehow not with the aftermarket/replacement, then either something changed in your environment, or the filter is not fit for purpose. Filters don't vary in quality that much though, so I suspect it's an environmental change... Nothing to do with the filter.

The only thing that's changed since I bought this air purifier originally to now is blanket that sits over top of the taped air vent near my window.

Nothing else litterly everything else is the exact same to when I bought it so yeah I highly doubt a blanket that went through the wash and dryer less then a week ago would be creating dust laying on the floor.

It goes in with the rest of my blankets every week when I do laundry so yeah might wanna try not filter with someone who's not changed a single thing in my room other then that.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
This house has no central air if it did you really think i would of spent $200.00 on a window air conditioner??

It only has a Furnace which supply Heat not central air and even my roommates turning the heat on for 10mins last night my room got warm now imagine if those floor vents were untapped I probably would if gotten hot upstairs.

And how does one propose heat is distributed throughout the home without air movement ?
I didn't say you had central A/C at any point. Even with air movement, resulting in a slight increase in temperature & an A/C unit cooling that air, you're encouraging air movement.

Blocking your vents in the long-run is not a good idea.

The only thing that's changed since I bought this air purifier originally to now is blanket that sits over top of the taped air vent near my window.

Nothing else litterly everything else is the exact same to when I bought it so yeah I highly doubt a blanket that went through the wash and dryer less then a week ago would be creating dust laying on the floor.

It goes in with the rest of my blankets every week when I do laundry so yeah might wanna try not filter with someone who's not changed a single thing in my room other then that.

Over a four month period, literally everything remains exactly the same in your environment (read: Not your room)?
Outside of a clean room, that is impossible.
Your room does not exist in a vacuum. Is there construction in the somewhat immediate area? Has it been windier lately? Is one of your roommates slacking on their hygiene &/or cleaning in generally? Is it hotter/colder than it was in May?

As you, or someone else open doors (to your room or the house in general), significant air movement occurs. In an older homes especially, they're nowhere close to air-tight to begin with, so air movement is constantly occurring.

All this is before we even get into the potential for humidity, which can compound the issue.

Think of your computer, for a small-scale exaggeration.
Assume perfectly clean on the inside. Then have a pet sleep directly infront of fans pulling air in.
Yes, everything inside the PC is "literally the same", but the external factors now differ.

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
And how does one propose heat is distributed throughout the home without air movement ?
I didn't say you had central A/C at any point. Even with air movement, resulting in a slight increase in temperature & an A/C unit cooling that air, you're encouraging air movement.

Blocking your vents in the long-run is not a good idea.

Over a four month period, literally everything remains exactly the same in your environment (read: Not your room)?
Outside of a clean room, that is impossible.
Your room does not exist in a vacuum.

Okay we going to vacuum hardwood floors now?? Didn't know that was a thing.

This entire house has hardwood floors no carpet whatsoever

Okay so I'm supposed sit in a hot boling room when the roommates put on the heat for 10 mins cause my one roommate gets colder faster then a normal person I forget what it's called that she has.

And Winter comes around let's just say the thermostat is above 74 all winter long which makes my room very very warm even with the vents closed not taped and covered

Do not attempt to understand my living situation when you have not been in this house and can understand how warm it gets upstairs

Last year I had to put my air conditioner back in the window and run it on fan mode only just to keep from getting to hot upstairs even opening the window wasn't enough.

As for my roommates they do laundy more then me, they clean the downstairs maybe a little more often then I clean my upstairs i do it weekly.

They shower twice a day, I shower every 2nd day, someday its colder some days its nice for a fall weather,

No pets ever come into my room not even my own cat

Did I forget anything??

USAFRet

Titan
So the basic "issue" is "and I'm still noticing Dust ", even after this new filter.
Correct?

Unless your room is totally sealed (it isn't), and positive pressure that is totally filtered (it isn't)...the rest of the house is in your environment.

Any dust particles that exist elsewhere in the house WILL migrate to all spaces inside.

Oh, there's a cat? Every time you go into your room, you are transferring cat dander into your room.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.