News German Retailer Sells 120 Core i7-11700Ks Before Launch, Benchmarks Arrive

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
German Retailer intentionally sells its full stock of 120 Core i7-11700K Rocket Lake CPUs well ahead of launch. Buyers leak benchmark results online.

German Retailer Sells 120 Core i7-11700Ks Before Launch, Benchmarks Arrive : Read more
Assuming the leaked specs are correct and the 11700k has a 5Ghz single core boost and the 11900k has a 5.3Ghz single core boost, the extra 300Mhz will basically put the 11900k in a dead heat with the 5000 series in per core performance. Extra 200Mhz all core boost would tie it with the 10900k in multithreaded. How appealing these are will come down to price and all core overclocking headroom.

Did the mislabeling also mix up the ST calculations?

8% slower ST (600) than the 5950x (633) but if I divide 600 by 633 I get .947

15% faster ST (600) than the 10700K (506) but if I divide 600 by 506 I get 1.185

I could be wrong here, but it seems like Intel is trying to get as many processors out there as they can before independent reviews. I find it hard to believe that Mindfactory in this world economy would risk the ire of Intel, risk their supply chain and sell these processors two weeks before their official launch without Intel's permission. I was already trying to wrap my mind around Intel officially releasing Rocket Lake two weeks ahead of their review embargo lifting... Intel for awhile now has been trying to sell the idea that benchmarks are not important anymore (but only once they fell behind AMD's Ryzen in benchmarks) and now they seem to be trying to convince people that reviews aren't important anymore either. Just buy it because we say its great and you should blindly trust us seems to be their new marketing...

From what I have seen of the benchmarks of these retail processors prematurely sold they are not overly impressive. Yes they have improved in single core compared to their own offerings, but they won't have a skew above 8 cores and they are still behind AMD's Zen IPC. Most single core scores I've seen for the 5800X put the processor at 630 and above single core in Cinebench R20. I know pure stock my 5900X scores 636 single core CB R20, and with a few slight tweaks I have it boosting to 4.99Ghz and 5.024Ghz on its two best cores of each CCD and it improved the score to 650. It is still early, and I could be wrong but with this being a new core design I don't think Intel is going to be getting much more overclocking potential than ~ 5Ghz for the 11700K and I think they already pushed the 11900K as far as it can go at 5.3Ghz single core. If that is the case then the 5800X will maintain a lead over the 11700K and the 11900K will be very close to the single core performance of the 5900X.

From what I have seen the 11900K is going to be retailing for $600, which is $50 more than the MSRP of the 5900X. That is going to be hard to justify if its single core performance is nearly the same but it gets absolutely destroyed in multi-core oriented tasks. Yes, the 5900X isn't easy to find right now and scalpers are asking a huge mark up for them, but they can still be found at MSRP. It just seems to me that Intel is taking advantage of supply issues and once again price gouging.

I could be wrong here, but it seems like Intel is trying to get as many processors out there as they can before independent reviews. I find it hard to believe that Mindfactory in this world economy would risk the ire of Intel, risk their supply chain and sell these processors two weeks before their official launch without Intel's permission. I was already trying to wrap my mind around Intel officially releasing Rocket Lake two weeks ahead of their review embargo lifting... Intel for awhile now has been trying to sell the idea that benchmarks are not important anymore (but only once they fell behind AMD's Ryzen in benchmarks) and now they seem to be trying to convince people that reviews aren't important anymore either. Just buy it because we say its great and you should blindly trust us seems to be their new marketing...
Supposedly the sales embargo is March 30th, so more like 4 weeks from now. Which left me wondering why they would even be in the hands of retailers already, let alone why a retailer felt it was fine to sell them a month in advance. Either there was some miscommunication and someone thought the sales embargo was for the end of February, or Intel knowingly gave them the go-ahead to start selling them well ahead of reviews.

Why are the benchmarks here limited to Cinebench though? That might be alright if someone is interested in how Cinema4D runs on the processor, but not necessarily representative of how performance will be in the software the vast majority of people will be running. Cinebench isn't always an accurate indicator of IPC in other software, after all. While I suspect we will see improved performance over the 10700K in most software, it's possible that there may have been performance regressions at some tasks due to the different architecture.

Supposedly the sales embargo is March 30th, so more like 4 weeks from now. Which left me wondering why they would even be in the hands of retailers already,
Right?! Why would a company provide stock all over the world way before release date when the releases of all the other companies these years went so well...

Mindfactory is the company that always pops up on all the articles that state that AMD outsells intel by like 90% or such, it's the only company where this happens and AMD supply is terribly low lately so they might had to sell them without intel's go ahead just to make some of the revenue they normally have.

Supposedly the sales embargo is March 30th, so more like 4 weeks from now. Which left me wondering why they would even be in the hands of retailers already, let alone why a retailer felt it was fine to sell them a month in advance. Either there was some miscommunication and someone thought the sales embargo was for the end of February, or Intel knowingly gave them the go-ahead to start selling them well ahead of reviews.

Why are the benchmarks here limited to Cinebench though? That might be alright if someone is interested in how Cinema4D runs on the processor, but not necessarily representative of how performance will be in the software the vast majority of people will be running. Cinebench isn't always an accurate indicator of IPC in other software, after all. While I suspect we will see improved performance over the 10700K in most software, it's possible that there may have been performance regressions at some tasks due to the different architecture.

The sales embargo lifts of March 30th, but from what I've been hearing Intel is planning a release date near the 15th for Rocket Lake (unless they changed direction on that). A March 15th (or close to 15th) launch date would make sense for stores getting inventory in now. It would also mean that Intel fully plans on releasing Rocket Lake two weeks before the review embargo lifts. It makes no sense to release a processor that no one is able to review for two weeks, unless they would rather have potential customers depend on their cherry picked numbers and don't want unbiased reviews.

Benchmarks being mostly limited to Cinebench could simply be the result of no real independent reviews being done yet. Cinebench is widely available (for free) and easy to compare across platforms. Saying these "leaks" are from actual customers (non-professionals) of actual retail processors it may be as simple as that was the benchmark that was available to them. Although Cinebench is far from the "be all end all" of benchmarks I do actually find it beneficial. I tend to trust it a lot more than CPU-Z or Geekbench. I have seen incredibly unstable systems pass a CPU-Z validation / benchmark even though it is running such a massively unstable overclock that it will crash if tying to watch a youtube video. Geekbench is also a relatively quick run benchmark that unstable systems running high overclocks can pass. Cinebench seems to put more strain on a system and most of the time unstable overclocks are not going to be able to pass multi-core CB R20, and realistically a system has to be near rock solid (stability wise) to pass a CB R23 run.

Mindfactory is the company that always pops up on all the articles that state that AMD outsells intel by like 90% or such, it's the only company where this happens and AMD supply is terribly low lately so they might had to sell them without intel's go ahead just to make some of the revenue they normally have.
The "Best Sellers" section of Amazon has also typically shown AMD's CPUs fairing quite well against Intel's. Even now, they currently hold the top four positions with the 5600X, 5800X, 3600 and 3900X...

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Computer-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189

Some of that may be down to Intel's processors being divided among a greater number of similar models though, and it's hard to tell much about how far one is above another without sales numbers being listed. And of course, while AMD's retail CPU sales might be very competitive, Intel's greater manufacturing volume and brand recognition undoubtedly gives them the edge in bulk sales to large system builders.