Get Off My Desktop! Windows Needs to Stop Showing Tabloid News

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They do make a dedicated gaming OS it’s called Xbox

It’s basically stripped down windows and tied to specified hardware all optimized and it’s nice. You don’t ever have to mess with it. No stupid stuttering no driver issues I think it’s wonderful.

gaming on a PC doesn’t make any sense to me. It’s way to cost prohibitive and it’s not an optimizedsystem for games.
graphics is low end, not even talking about low fps

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
not really bothered by tabloid news, and sometimes I do like checking out the news.

anyway, it only shows up when I click it.

also has no noticeable effect when I game online.

Giroro

Splendid
I tried using the news & weather widget for weather in Windows 10.
The problem is that the thing never or rarely refreshes automatically so to see what temperature it is outside you have to open he widget, watch it animate, wait for the news feed to load, click refresh, wait for the news feed to load again, then either close the widget and wait for the animation again.
Unless you want the full forecast, then you have to find and click the weather widget in the feed, wait for IE to open, click through the IE ads and attempts to trick you into enabling ad tracking and override your default browser, then load a third MSN news feed with some poorly presented weather in the corner, surrounded by the obnoxious clickbait ads that they call "news".

There's no way to configure any of this into doing something useful or convenient.
Overall an awful and offputting ecosystem, but a a minor symptom of what's fundamentally wrong with Windows right now.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I only use Windows for work now because I have to.
But more and more of my coworkers have moved over to Macs.
I hate Apple but am seriously close to trying to talk my work into letting me use a linux distro.

Windows is just turning into hot garbage.

Reactions: bit_user

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
They do make a dedicated gaming OS it’s called Xbox

It’s basically stripped down windows and tied to specified hardware all optimized and it’s nice. You don’t ever have to mess with it. No stupid stuttering no driver issues I think it’s wonderful.

gaming on a PC doesn’t make any sense to me. It’s way to cost prohibitive and it’s not an optimizedsystem for games.

Well, on the PC you can upgrade your GPU if you feel your current one isn't up to snuff. I've upgrade twice so far on my main system.

Reactions: bit_user

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
Right.

Because anti-Fauci and pro-"COVID Conspiracy" theories are a thing that "LiBeRaL AfFiLiAtEs" are known for.

are you posting from the Opposite World?

My point being...

I would like to make my own choices regarding where I get my content. I'm pretty sure that's not too difficult to understand.

Mar 27, 2023
Lol this article right below a huge best buy ad, a stream of ads in the side column, ads intersprersed inline, and above a ton of garbage tabooleh ads like "New Neck-Lifting Technology Has Taken The Us By Storm", "2 Insane Cards Charging 0% Interest Until Nearly 2025" and "Do You Know What Atopic Dermatitis Is? (Take A Look)". It's art.

Reactions: adbatista
D

Deleted member 14196

Consumer software apps run fine on server.

But why SpongeBob……WHY — Mrs Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.