Get Tom's Hardware On Your Mobile Phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
it loads on mine, its not to bad. quite functional. though, i wish it had the ability to let me log in and leave comments if i wanted to without having to go to the desktop version

Bloodblender

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
It's about time, because I'm about to get capped soon on my Internet and a lower graphics version of Toms, just like Xbit Labs, helps with the loading times a lot.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Using a Verizon Omnia in Madison, Wisconsin, USA and it is a no-go:

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved
--------------------------
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://m.tomshardware.com/
The following error was encountered:
*Unable to forward this request at this time.
This request could not be forwarded to the origin server or to any parent caches. The most likely cause for this error is that:
*The cache administrator does not allow this cache to make direct connections to origin servers, and
*All configured parent caches are currently unreachable
Your cache administrator is webmaster.

Accessed the link through opera on my phone - but like others, I have it set not to identify my device as a mobile device.

However, it loads in Firefox on my laptop just fine. Clean, not full of bloated ads that spawn giant pop-ups on my screen - you know, it reminds me of pre-Web 2.0 Tom's... y'know, I might just bookmark it for my laptop and netbook instead!

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]Using a Verizon Omnia in Madison, Wisconsin, USA and it is a no-go:ERRORThe requested URL could not be retrieved--------------------------While trying to retrieve the URL: http://m.tomshardware.com/The following error was encountered:*Unable to forward this request at this time.This request could not be forwarded to the origin server or to any parent caches. The most likely cause for this error is that:*The cache administrator does not allow this cache to make direct connections to origin servers, and*All configured parent caches are currently unreachableYour cache administrator is webmaster.Accessed the link through opera on my phone - but like others, I have it set not to identify my device as a mobile device.However, it loads in Firefox on my laptop just fine. Clean, not full of bloated ads that spawn giant pop-ups on my screen - you know, it reminds me of pre-Web 2.0 Tom's... y'know, I might just bookmark it for my laptop and netbook instead![/citation]

I'm getting that on both my phone and desktop..

Ah well, I've been reading Tom's on my phone for a while now using their RSS feed (it's text-only, what more could you need?).

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Doesn' work for me. I think only temporary though.
Normally I just view the full normal site on my N97, which has a "Big enough" 640 screen.
I.E can't view many Xhtml pages by design, so use WURFL to detect the browser UserAgent, then change the DOCTYPE and MIME to one compatible with the browser detected.
Anyway, this is how I will do it.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I still can't wait to see the mobile page! I hope it will be formatted well on small phones to mobile phones with big screens.
The full site is a bit too big for my mobile phone.
Yes, I'll be happy with THG anytime/anyplace.

kencolestud69

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]First iPhone app news thats relevant and interesting for reader me says[/citation]
I accidentally rated you down. I'm sorry.

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]First iPhone app news thats relevant and interesting for reader me says[/citation]

This isn't the announcement of an app, which would be great. An AP or NYTimes style iphone app for Tom's in order to have quicker access, would be awesome.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
The THG mobile site now works well now on I.E. Also looks well formatted on large screen phones and small screen phones. Looks good! Thanks!

I guess mobile forums will come some day later.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Funny, I think I like the mobile version better than the regular site, might just use that from now on. Faster loading, just the items I want to see in a nice, logical order. I don't care about mobile phones...but browsing wise, I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS