Get Your Google Back, Google Tells Win 8 Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]So you can download stuff off the internet wow that is news[/citation]
I don't know whether this is a sad commentary on the state of Windows 8 or just a backhanded remark at Toms. I'm going to lean towards it being a stab at Windows 8 and its unintuitive, confused, split-personality design. I'm sure the Europeans will have all sorts of interesting things to say about Windows 8's default browser and search options too.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]So you can download stuff off the internet wow that is news[/citation]
You'd be surprised how many still don't know the term "search engine" or "web browser. A lot of users utilize what they have with what is default issue.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Chewie[/nom]Did you know that many in the Linux community say the same about _anyone_ ignorant enough to be stuck in the microshaft environment?[/citation]
Changing an OS is not the same about changing a browser , give me an OS alternative to use Adobe Master Collection and we will see ... (and no , i don`t want overpriced crapple)

[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]You'd be surprised how many still don't know the term "search engine" or "web browser. A lot of users utilize what they have with what is default issue.[/citation]
You`ll be surprised how well IE 10 in Win8 works, even though i use Opera and Chrome. IE10 is not IE6 ....

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Why so much hate against uninformed people, guys?Sure, we are the kind of people that knows how to rearrange everything (and I mean everything) in an OS to our best interest, but this is a smart move from Google.This video was what? 1min? It is simple, and probable of a very low budget (besides of the design and plot team). But it makes them get closer to people.Now tell me, how many people would start using IE as default browser just because it is there? If we direct our attention to the lazy, not so savvy consumer, probably they would just follow the status quo of W8. Heck, even for those who already know some tech it is useful, because merely by inserting a browser in an environment it could already make you lose a few people. I really liked the video, and the idea behind it. IT is for everyone, dont be dicks about what we know.[/citation]

Remember back when intelligent people visited Tom's? Those were the days. Before they all got banned.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Sorry to say it but users who can`t figure out in Windows 8 how to use Google or Chrome are complete idiots, why do some "humans" really need to have someone else put labels for them to be able to do simple tasks ? Or big signs? And i totally support MS in this .. is their OS after all ... Don`t expect Google to have in Chrome OS other defaults than Google and Chrome ... seriously...[/citation]

I hope you realize that humans cannot operate something unless they were exposed to knowledge (training) explaining how to do these things in the first place.

Past knowledge/experience may offer some guidance/direction, but you won't magically be able to know (or will have difficulty with) something which is a radical departure from how things were done before.

G

"Distraught Windows 8 users" that made me laugh for at least an hour...

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Chewie[/nom]You do have a point there. However, I've never had a Google update of any type screw up my whole system.[/citation]
That's not the point. It autoupdates. Without your explicit permission. That is inexcusable.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]I don`t know what year you live in but in 2012 i don`t think that IE is still the world`s most used browser. I see a lot of negatives to my first post, do you guys find it outrageous that MS takes liberty in promoting their own stuff in their own OS ? Next time you go buy an AUDI car go tell them that you want the option to install a BMW dashboard ... because that`s what your logic is all about.[/citation]I dunno about the first part but I agree with the second.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]I'm sure the Europeans will have all sorts of interesting things to say about Windows 8's default browser and search options too.[/citation]Win8 in EU will have a browser poll I'm sure, at least for retail copies. But the Commission will figure out some way to rape more money out of them, while ignoring default browsers on Android and iOS.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]snowzsan[/nom]I will never understand the hate for IE. It's had it's issue, yeah, but they iron them out, add new features, have a few more issues, iron them out, etc. etc. Never have I had any issue with IE that would justify calling it "junk."Google Chrome is great, too! However there is a reason most work environments that deal with sensitive data deal only with IE... Because it's secure. If you're willing to trade off security for faster browsing (only .5 to 1 second faster) you're an idiot as far as I'm concerned.Gett off the "I hate IE, boo hoo hoo" bandwagon and start using your brains people.[/citation]

Using your brains would consist of getting off the "I don't know what the problem is with IE" bandwagon.

And as for thinking IE is more secure than any other browser is just plain moronic and has no bearing whatsoever as to why enterprise apps were at some point designed for IE6.

I think you would be better off reading and not saying anything until you know anything about anything.

Windows 8, meet Microsoft Bob, Bob, say hi to 8.

You two will be sharing the same desk, if you need anything just ask Me, he's the manager.
Circuit City and Borders are right around the corner if you need anything.

Don't worry about Windows 9 that looks like Windows 7, I hear that he's still finishing up his 4th Masters and won't be applying for your job for at least a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.