[SOLVED] GETAC S410 WLAN Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamadakun

Reputable
Aug 24, 2020
Aloha. I have a Getac S410 laptop that was purchased without a wireless card. I have tried installing 2 known good WLAN cards in the laptop, an Intel 7260NGW and an Intel 9269NGW card in the laptop, but Windows does not recognize the WLAN card. It does not even show up in device manager or prompt for driver installation or anything like that. Am I missing something? Is there some type of companion wireless switch or something that I need to install? There are two other M2 interfaces next to where I patched in the WLAN card. I know that one of these is for a M2 SSD. What is the other M2 slot for?
Here is a picture of the WLAN card installed on the motherboard.
View: https://imgur.com/a/84ANeMf

I found another picture of this laptop motherboard in a review found at https://www.ruggedpcreview.com/3_notebooks_getac_s410.html and it shows a slightly different expansion card configuration than my laptop.

Any assistance that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
With a wireless adapter installed run "ipconfig /all" via the command prompt.

Does the wireless network adapter appear in the results?

Post the results if you are unsure about whether or not the adapter is shown/appears.

Is there a wired network adapter - is it enabled?

Check BIOS - you may need to enable the wireless adapter therein.

Ralston18

Titan

Post the results if you are unsure about whether or not the adapter is shown/appears.

Solution

yamadakun

Reputable
Aug 24, 2020

Thank you for the reply.
The WLAN card does not show up when doing an ipconfig /all. It does not show up under device manager. The wired adapter does show up and is enabled.
I went in to the BIOS to verify if the WLAN and Bluetooth were disabled and they didn't even show up as being an option.
View: https://imgur.com/a/9Qq4qU7

I went to the Getac drivers and downloads page, but unfortunately, I was not able to download a BIOS update for my laptop SN. I have been in contact with their tech support and am currently waiting for a reply. Hopefully, they can send me a BIOS update to enable the WLAN card.

Ralston18

Titan
Hopefully so.

In the meantime I took another "zoomed in" look at the wireless adapter.

Take a close look at the black and yellow wires serving the adapter.

Especially the black wire. The connector may be touching the screw next to it. Check both connectors to ensure that they are properly and fully connected. Plus trace along the routing for both wires. Ensure that no conductor is exposed anywhere along the wires.

yamadakun

Reputable
Aug 24, 2020
Hopefully so.

In the meantime I took another "zoomed in" look at the wireless adapter.

Take a close look at the black and yellow wires serving the adapter.

Especially the black wire. The connector may be touching the screw next to it. Check both connectors to ensure that they are properly and fully connected. Plus trace along the routing for both wires. Ensure that no conductor is exposed anywhere along the wires.
Thanks for checking. It turns out that the BIOS was intentionally limited on this laptop as it was originally purchased to be used in a situation so as not to allow any wireless or bluetooth access. I have requested an updated BIOS from GETAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.