[SOLVED] Getting 200 mbps from ONT, 100 from gigabit switch

Ottomic

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
So I'm at a loss here, and I've spent some money trying in big brain ideas, see if you could help a fella out:

I have a 300mbps fiber connection. If I connect my PC straight to the ONT via ethernet, I get 200 mbps with ookla. Through my router, Ethernet all the same, I was only getting 100mbps, but it was a cruddy router that I got for super cheap so I thought hey, buy a 300mbps router. I'm about to move out from this house, so I'm going to use it all the same. I bought a new router (TP-WR940N), and I was still getting 100 mbps from the ethernet. So, my idea was, get a switch in case the router is somehow splitting the bandwidth, and now through the switch (TL-SG108S), which is 10/100/1000, even with just the line from the ONT and my computer connected, I'm still only getting 100mbps on ookla. The only clue I have to go on here is the fact that the switch is giving me a green light on the line from the ONT which is supposed to mean it is in 100 mode instead of gigabit, so maybe the ONT is switching to 100 mode for some reason?

What's going on here? Could you guys explain to me what is happening to my connection?

Thank you.

PS: ont-switch is cat5, switch-pc is 5e.

Last edited:
Solution
As my setup is now that's all well and good, since I have it as ONT-switch-router. I don't really need any more than 100mbps on anything running in my wifi. The question is, why is it a switch I'm SURE is gigabit, on a cat5 cable, outputting 100 mbps when all there is connected to it is an ONT on a cat 5 and my PC on a 5e?
The most likely reason is the cable. You say it is cat5 rather than cat5e.

kanewolf

Titan
So I'm at a loss here, and I've spent some money trying in big brain ideas, see if you could help a fella out:

I have a 300mbps fiber connection. If I connect my PC straight to the ONT via ethernet, I get 200 mbps with ookla. Through my router, Ethernet all the same, I was only getting 100mbps, but it was a cruddy router that I got for super cheap so I thought hey, buy a 300mbps router. I'm about to move out from this house, so I'm going to use it all the same. I bought a new router (TP-WR940N), and I was still getting 100 mbps from the ethernet. So, my idea was, get a switch in case the router is somehow splitting the bandwidth, and now through the switch (TL-SG108S), which is 10/100/1000, even with just the line from the ONT and my computer connected, I'm still only getting 100mbps on ookla. The only clue I have to go on here is the fact that the switch is giving me a green light on the line from the ONT which is supposed to mean it is in 100 mode instead of gigabit, so maybe the ONT is switching to 100 mode for some reason?

What's going on here? Could you guys explain to me what is happening to my connection?

Thank you.

PS: ont-switch is cat5, switch-pc is 5e.
As long as you are using the TP-WR940N router you will be limited to 100Mbit. It has 100Mbit WAN port according to the specs -- https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr940n/#specifications
You want an AC1900 router with gigabit wired ports.

Ottomic

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
As long as you are using the TP-WR940N router you will be limited to 100Mbit. It has 100Mbit WAN port according to the specs -- https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr940n/#specifications
You want an AC1900 router with gigabit wired ports.

As my setup is now that's all well and good, since I have it as ONT-switch-PC/router (as strictly an access point for phones and whatnot). I don't really need any more than 100mbps on anything running in my wifi (though as why the box in my router states "450 mbps" confuses me, but that's really the least of my problems). The question is, why is it a switch I'm SURE is gigabit, on a cat5 cable, outputting 100 mbps when all there is connected to it is an ONT on a cat 5 and my PC on a 5e?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
As my setup is now that's all well and good, since I have it as ONT-switch-router. I don't really need any more than 100mbps on anything running in my wifi. The question is, why is it a switch I'm SURE is gigabit, on a cat5 cable, outputting 100 mbps when all there is connected to it is an ONT on a cat 5 and my PC on a 5e?
The most likely reason is the cable. You say it is cat5 rather than cat5e.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
As my setup is now that's all well and good, since I have it as ONT-switch-router. I don't really need any more than 100mbps on anything running in my wifi (though as why the box in my router states "450 mbps" confuses me, but that's really the least of my problems). The question is, why is it a switch I'm SURE is gigabit, on a cat5 cable, outputting 100 mbps when all there is connected to it is an ONT on a cat 5 and my PC on a 5e?
The box is using marketing numbers for WIFI. You will not excede 90mbit with that router.

Ottomic

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
Welp, turns out it was down to the cables. Now I feel kinda dumb for getting a switch I'll realistically never need, but I am glad I finally figured out what the problem is. Thank you Kanewolf, for helping out!

gondo

Distinguished
The ethernet ports on that router are only 100Mb. That is why you are locked at 100Mb. The wireless of that router is what the 450Mb rating is for.

Cat 5 is rated for 100Mb but it's not fixed. The computer cannot detect that the cable is Cat5 and say ok Im only going to give you 100Mb. It's just that the specs of the cable are only guaranteed meet 100Mb Ethernet specs. It could give you more or less depending on the quality of the cable and connections. Cat 5E is good for 1Gb and Cat6 also 1Gb but higher bandwidth/distances. You could have a good Cat5 cable that allows 150Mb speeds or a crappy Cat6 cable that only runs at 500Mb instead of 1Gb.