Question Getting a BSOD after playing a game could be gpu?

michaelespinoza1104

Commendable
Oct 17, 2017
I recently upgraded my pc only the cpu gpu ram and psu and everything was fine until recently I would be on my computer and if I do anything like going onto google you tube getting some word documents done there are zero issues. As soon as I start up a game like overwatch it could be 5 mins into the game or 2 hours and then the BSOD appears no idea what it could be. (The stop code I got was WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR)

Pc spec list :
Ryzen 7 3800X cpu
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B cpu fan
ASRock X370 GAMING X mb
Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 F4-3600C14D-16GTZNB ram
Samsung 860 evo SSD storage
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM storage
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING gpu
SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold psu

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Would you be able to post the dump files for us to be able to download? If you aren't sure what the dump files are, see my BSOD signature link below.

WHEA is Windows Hardware Error Architecture and is usually indicatiive of a hardware problem, however can in rarer cricumstances be caused by some firmware or software. So as a first port of call whilst we await the dump file:

• Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • Do you have latest NVIDIA drivers installed, if so this could well be the problem as latest NVIDIA drivers have been causing some issues here and there.
  • Are you running any overclock / XMP / DOCP at all?
  • Have you monitored CPU and GPU temps under load?

Reactions: michaelespinoza1104

michaelespinoza1104

Commendable
Oct 17, 2017
Would you be able to post the dump files for us to be able to download? If you aren't sure what the dump files are, see my BSOD signature link below.

WHEA is Windows Hardware Error Architecture and is usually indicatiive of a hardware problem, however can in rarer cricumstances be caused by some firmware or software. So as a first port of call whilst we await the dump file:

• Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • Do you have latest NVIDIA drivers installed, if so this could well be the problem as latest NVIDIA drivers have been causing some issues here and there.
  • Are you running any overclock / XMP / DOCP at all?
  • Have you monitored CPU and GPU temps under load?
bios is up to date I have latest drivers installed no overclocking on the cpu or gpu I did a aida 64 stress test was fine under load.

michaelespinoza1104

Commendable
Oct 17, 2017
It may be worth checking drivers for any peripheral devices you have, and also removing your NVIDIA drivers with DDU then just letting Windows reinstall it's own NVIDIA drivers.
So I Ran Who crashed on my computer to read the dump files and I got the following,

This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x47FE8)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x4, 0xFFFFB9032DFBB7C8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL