[SOLVED] Getting Asus Prime Z690-P motherboard and Asus Xonar AE sound card to play nice?

Apr 22, 2022
Hi everyone, first time poster here.

I just got a new PC the other day, with an Asus Prime Z690-P motherboard. While I was configuring it on the vendor's website, I decided to add an Asus Xonar AE sound card, which the vendor then set to be the default audio device.

The issue I'm having is that the headphone jack on the front of my case doesn't work; i.e., there's no sound when I plug in my headphones. In fact, Windows isn't even recognizing my headphones when I plug them into the front jack. However, if I plug the headphones directly into the Asus Xonar sound card in the rear of the PC, I get sound just fine.

After some troubleshooting and research (I'm not super tech savvy), I think I figured out the issue: the front headphone jack is connected to the AAFP slot on my motherboard, and not the Asus Xonar sound card, which would explain why there was no audio from the front headphone jack. I went into the BIOS and found that the "HD Audio" option was set to "Disabled"; after changing it to "Enabled" and rebooting, the front headphone jack is now working and Windows recognizes it as a playback device. However, if I plug my headphones directly into the Asus Xonar sound card, I get audio but it cuts off every second or two, so there appears to be some sort of conflict; I'm guessing that it has to do with trying to use both the motherboard's integrated audio and the separate sound card.

With that background, some questions:

1. Is there some way to have the motherboard's integrated audio and the separate sound card play nice, so that I can have my headphones plugged into the front headphone jack but also have speakers plugged into the sound card, for when I don't want to use my headphones?

2. If not, is there some way to have the front headphone jack connect to the sound card rather than the motherboard?

3. If not, do I have any other options besides ditching the Asus Xonar AE sound card and just using the motherboard's integrated audio?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
1. Is there some way to have the motherboard's integrated audio and the separate sound card play nice, so that I can have my headphones plugged into the front headphone jack but also have speakers plugged into the sound card, for when I don't want to use my headphones?

Thanks in advance!

Make sure your sound card is set to defaut sound device, on the other sound card for your headphones, make sure it is set to primary communications in control panel.
I have my headphones to be on its own usb cord software, I tell it to act as a default communication device.
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/pro...surround-sound-gaming-headset.981-000769.html
So I can blast music on my sound blaster Z card...

Thanks in advance!

Make sure your sound card is set to defaut sound device, on the other sound card for your headphones, make sure it is set to primary communications in control panel.
I have my headphones to be on its own usb cord software, I tell it to act as a default communication device.
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/pro...surround-sound-gaming-headset.981-000769.html
So I can blast music on my sound blaster Z card, while answering voip or rarely discord in game calls.
Also you can switch roles from speaker to headphones, just in case you are knee deep in ranked matches or like hearing every fine details of music, movies, or environment games.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...kbM43VvmMxwLw0CdMAsaAmUTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Solution