Getting black screen with AMD RX 480

Salt11213

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
So I'm at the end of my rope, I recently bought an XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR Black 8GB card. Cleaned off the drivers for my R9 270, installed the new card and ran the disk that came with it. Went into Radeon settings and updated to the latest drivers (16.9.1). I've tried running Fallout 4 and Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, in both cases I get a black screen followed by my monitor losing signal. Even hitting fullscreen on the Radeon settings program causes this to happen. Only way to get the screen back is a hard reboot with the reset button.

Things I have tried so far:

- uninstalling the drivers and using only the version on the disk (16.7.3)
- uninstalling drivers and using the 16.7.2 ones
- Reseated my RAM

Starting to think it's either a PSU problem or a bad card, but with my limited knowledge of these things I'm not sure.

Current setup is

- Win 7
- ASRock 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard
- AMD FX-8350 8 Core Black Edition Processor
- Antec VP550P 550W Power Supply
- G.Skill Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
- XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR Black 8GB

Any help would be appreciated.

Quick update, went through a PSU calculator and the recommended wattage is 467W.

Another update. Updated my BIOS/UEFI whichever it is to the latest version, no change.

Solution

I have experienced black screens with a recently bought XFX RX480 GTR Black and it seems that it boils down to the basic PSU not rising up to the card's needs. TL DR version is insufficient AMPS.

I own a Seasonic MII 620W PSU, that has two 12V rails with 24A each. Seasonic is considered a good manufacturer and 620W should be enough for an RX 480 but it isn't. After I installed the card I immediately launched the heaven benchmark to see its potential, but after one second after starting the screen turned black and I had to hard reset. I tried a game, but it had the same result. I tried everything that I found on the internet (DDU, "x" amount of drivers, BIOS updates, reinstalling windows...

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

How long have you been using that PSU? Overtime PSU's CAN start to degrade and not be able to supply the listed power.
Perhaps see if you can find a friend with a decent PSU that you can borrow?

Salt11213

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

I've had the PSU for a little over two years.
Had a quick ask around, and I can't borrow another one.

Juravski

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016

I have experienced black screens with a recently bought XFX RX480 GTR Black and it seems that it boils down to the basic PSU not rising up to the card's needs. TL DR version is insufficient AMPS.

I own a Seasonic MII 620W PSU, that has two 12V rails with 24A each. Seasonic is considered a good manufacturer and 620W should be enough for an RX 480 but it isn't. After I installed the card I immediately launched the heaven benchmark to see its potential, but after one second after starting the screen turned black and I had to hard reset. I tried a game, but it had the same result. I tried everything that I found on the internet (DDU, "x" amount of drivers, BIOS updates, reinstalling windows, upgrading to win 10), nothing worked.

Then I decided to go at it "oldschool" and borrowed a more powerful (even though of lesser quality) High Power PSU with 700W and and a single 12V rail with 52.5A and needless to say the GPU card performed flawlessly. SInce my Seasonic has 620W and 2 rails with 24A (2x24A=48A???) it might not have been enough or the PSU has some kind of protection when the Amps that the card requires spyke.

I have come to this conclusion while observing the volts and amps listed in hwinfo64 for the gpu while the heaven benchmark was running. The watts usage never went above 130W but the Amps were all over the place with an average of 50A and spykes as high 120A (maybe this is where the PSU protection kicked in and shut off the power and the screen went black). I know it sounds unreasonably high for an amperage measurement but giving the the power issues that the RX 480 had at launch they are plausible.

My suggestion is to buy a good PSU with at least 700W and 52.5A on a single rail! I hope this helps somebody (to not waste 3 weeks troubleshooting RX480 gpu problems like I did)

Solution

00anshu00

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
FUCK ME i was planning to buy an xfx and I have the same psu,antec.And the price of psu here is ridiculous and there is limited choice in the market too.I dunno what to do .Is this only for xfx rx 480s or can other variants like msi gaming x actually work on my psu.I have just bought this psu(4 months ago).Don't know whta to do.

k3k3_pro

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
Hi guys, I have the XFX RX 480, and I've been having problems with black screen since the first day, no matter what version of the drivers I have installed. A couple days ago I did something that has, at least for now, fixed the annoying black screen problem. I have AOC 2460G5 monitor that supports freesync. And up until a few days ago it was connected to my PC via HDMI, and black screened almost every time I left it on desktop (idle). I tried hooking it up via Display port and enabling the freesync in radeon options and it hasn't black screened once in three days. I know it is too early to say it somehow fixed it but still you can give it a try and see if it works for you. I'm also running the latest drivers currently but it still black screened until I connected it via display port.

May 31, 2014
hello, maybe a bit a late a reply, but i do own a rx 480 too, also having the black screen problems. What i did: use driver booster to upgrade the drivers, use a thick hdmi cable which really is stuck in the input of the gpu, update windows to latest version, install latest drivers for gpu and make the gpu dust free (temp drow down). I do use hdmi and it runs quite stable, just at 4k 30hz. What i also got, is that when the case of the pc is touching some grounded other electronics, the screen goes black for a moment too. The displayport output standard only goes to 1080p, you have to use an active dp to hdmi converter to make 4k hdr work. Though some rx 480 gpu's do have 2 hdmi outputs, my card only has one. What i would not recommend, is connecting hardware from inside the case the rx 480 is in, with another pc or laptop. It will cause the ground to add little voltage to the pc, making the pc with rx 480 not give any screen at all. Remedy if you do, is to just put the complete pc aside and let the voltage drop down to zero by letting it stand for like half an hour.