[SOLVED] Getting Bottle necked

May 11, 2021
Good day I am getting bottle necked with some upgrades I have done and I want to know why? I play Warzone and I only get 70-96FPS which I feel I should be getting over 100 FPS minimum

My rig
GPU: GTX 1660TI ASUS GPU
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900
Motherboard: Bazooka Max B450M Max WiFi
RAM: 16GB Hyper X 2666MHZ RAM
PSU: CX650M Corsair Power supply

Solution
Good day I am getting bottle necked with some upgrades I have done and I want to know why? I play Warzone and I only get 70-96FPS which I feel I should be getting over 100 FPS minimum

My rig

It depends on what screen resolution and graphics settings you are using if that is good or bad for your system...

This video shows performance at 1080p and 1440p Low and High settings with a similar setup to your machine (R7 3700X rather than the 3900, however Warzone doesn't really benefit from more than 8 cores so the two are effectively the same in this instance).

My rig

It depends on what screen resolution and graphics settings you are using if that is good or bad for your system...

This video shows performance at 1080p and 1440p Low and High settings with a similar setup to your machine (R7 3700X rather than the 3900, however Warzone doesn't really benefit from more than 8 cores so the two are effectively the same in this instance).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQbgmEUg0r4

The only thing I note from your setup that may be holding things back is the fairly slow ram you are using. Ryzen really benefits from faster ram, with high frequency and low cas latency both benefiting. Given you are on an older B450 board you are probably best looking at DDR4 3200 with low timings (e.g. CL14) rather than pushing for faster kits as the older boards can be fussy about ram speeds above 3200.

Solution
May 11, 2021
What were the "upgrades"?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQbgmEUg0r4

The only thing I note from your setup that may be holding things back is the fairly slow ram you are using. Ryzen really benefits from faster ram, with high frequency and low cas latency both benefiting. Given you are on an older B450 board you are probably best looking at DDR4 3200 with low timings (e.g. CL14) rather than pushing for faster kits as the older boards can be fussy about ram speeds above 3200.
Okay bud I will have a look at speeds, Feels like 1% lows are better and slight improvement on frames after boosting RAM to 3200. So the MB might be the issue here? will consider this and thanks for taking your time to reply to my issue bro I really appreciate it.

Reactions: cdrkf
May 11, 2021
What was the previous board and cpu?
Ryzen often needs bios updates to the motherboard.
And ryzen is picky about ram. possibly the ram you reused was not appropriate.
Old CPU and board was a i5 9400F and MSI H310M Pro-M2

Tried Only the RAM that was sent with the Upgrade Kit and little Improvement
Gets higher FPS but still not as much as I think I should get.

Old CPU and board was a i5 9400F and MSI H310M Pro-M2

Tried Only the RAM that was sent with the Upgrade Kit and little Improvement
Gets higher FPS but still not as much as I think I should get.

To be honest when it comes to pure gaming and pushing for max fps, I'm not sure the Ryzen 9 3900 is really much faster than the 9400F, as most games don't benefit from the extra cores (at least currently, the 3900 should hold up for a lot longer given it's massive core / thread count advantage). What you should find is you can probably run pretty much anything you like in the background and not impact performance, R9 is a great option if you want to stream whilst running the game for example (it also smokes the 9400F if you are doing any work tasks like video encoding, rendering etc).

Aside from the memory timings, the other thing you can do is turn on PBO, provided you have a decent cooler it should give the cpu a bit of frequency boost which will help improve fps.

To be honest when it comes to pure gaming and pushing for max fps, I'm not sure the Ryzen 9 3900 is really much faster than the 9400F, as most games don't benefit from the extra cores (at least currently, the 3900 should hold up for a lot longer given it's massive core / thread count advantage). What you should find is you can probably run pretty much anything you like in the background and not impact performance, R9 is a great option if you want to stream whilst running the game for example (it also smokes the 9400F if you are doing any work tasks like video encoding, rendering etc).

Aside from the memory timings, the other thing you can do is turn on PBO, provided you have a decent cooler it should give the cpu a bit of frequency boost which will help improve fps.
3900x is more comparable to a 9400f only if you have 2400 mghz single rank cl18 RAM. Put in 3600mghz dual rank cl14 ram and its more comparable to the 10400f / 10600k

May 11, 2021

I did buy this CPU because I am looking to start a stream and see where it goes from there but I feel my old setup was better in FPS but this setup does do better in the 1% lows when there is more to render but I was atleast expecting same if not a little better in performance when gaming.

Thanks for your help

So according to this test you only have 1 stick of 3200 mghz ram. This means it is effectively only half as fast since you need two sticks for dual channel operation. You need to get a good 2x8 gb or preferably 2x16 gb kit of 3200 mghz RAM or 3600mghz if your motherboard can support it

* Ram performance is heavily tied to CPU performance especially on AMD Ryzen CPUs. You will get better FPS with a dual channel kit of at least 3200mghz.

Reactions: Phaaze88
May 11, 2021
So according to this test you only have 1 stick of 3200 mghz ram. This means it is effectively only half as fast since you need two sticks for dual channel operation. You need to get a good 2x8 gb or preferably 2x16 gb kit of 3200 mghz RAM or 3600mghz if your motherboard can support it

* Ram performance is heavily tied to CPU performance especially on AMD Ryzen CPUs. You will get better FPS with a dual channel kit of at least 3200mghz.
Oh okay I see what you mean because I was using 2x8GB Hyper X 2666 MHZ that was in my Intel Setup before this and I was given this one RAM stick with my AMD upgrade kit. What RAM would you recommend? My motherboard does support Both 3200 MGHz and 3600 MGHz

May 11, 2021
What game graphics settings levels are you using?

While your GPU is a solid choice, it is not on the same "processing potential scale" as your CPU. There is a bit of an imbalance between the two.
Pretty Much to optimize FPS for Warzone. so Most settings in game are low and only Texture quality is high(basically the settings every youtuber is recommending for Warzone). Res is 1920x1080 with a 240Hz Alienware Monitor.

Oh okay I see what you mean because I was using 2x8GB Hyper X 2666 MHZ that was in my Intel Setup before this and I was given this one RAM stick with my AMD upgrade kit. What RAM would you recommend? My motherboard does support Both 3200 MGHz and 3600 MGHz
How much are you willing to spend? I would recommend a 2x16gb 3600mghz cl16 kit but they are around 200 dollars right now. Next step down would be 2x16 3600 cl18 (165 dollars), then 2x16 3200 cl16(150 dollars), then 2x8 3600 cl16 (145 dollars).

You could spend even more for a 2x16 3600mghz cl16-16-16-36 kit as well. Diminishing returns set in at the 2x16 3200 cl16 kit for 150 dollars.

May 11, 2021
What are your CPU and GPU utilization rates (percentages) when gaming at these graphics settings?

How are your other games performing?
I tried Rust not to long ago and it was also getting low FPS(60-75) on optimized settings but Utilization rates when playing warzone are
CPU- 30%
GPU-20%

there are no other things running in the background

May 11, 2021
How much are you willing to spend? I would recommend a 2x16gb 3600mghz cl16 kit but they are around 200 dollars right now. Next step down would be 2x16 3600 cl18 (165 dollars), then 2x16 3200 cl16(150 dollars), then 2x8 3600 cl16 (145 dollars).

You could spend even more for a 2x16 3600mghz cl16-16-16-36 kit as well. Diminishing returns set in at the 2x16 3200 cl16 kit for 150 dollars.
I will keep these kits in mind, i just wanted an Idea of what RAM kits would be best suited for my setup at this point.

I really appreciate the time and effort you have put in to help me, Thanks again