Question Getting BSOD "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE ntoskrnl.exe" ?

DingoDangoDongo

Reputable
Dec 8, 2020

ubuysa

Distinguished
The BSODs are happening because a device is failing to complete a power transition (idle to running) in a reasonable time. In all three dumps it's the same device; your WD Blue hard drive.

One workaround for this is to change your active power plan so that the "Turn of hard disk after" value is 0. This stops hard drives from powering down so that this problem shouldn't happen.

However, this may be a sign of a failing hard drive, so download CrystalDiskInfo, use that to display the SMART data for that drive and post a screenshot of that.

DingoDangoDongo

Reputable
Dec 8, 2020
The BSODs are happening because a device is failing to complete a power transition (idle to running) in a reasonable time. In all three dumps it's the same device; your WD Blue hard drive.

One workaround for this is to change your active power plan so that the "Turn of hard disk after" value is 0. This stops hard drives from powering down so that this problem shouldn't happen.

However, this may be a sign of a failing hard drive, so download CrystalDiskInfo, use that to display the SMART data for that drive and post a screenshot of that.
I think I below is the right information:

F4XVJ97.png

ubuysa

Distinguished
It's tricky interpreting SMART data but it looks to me as though the drive is OK but not quite perfect. You have had some errors; the Reported Uncorrectable Errors is not 100 as we would like it. Also, the Airflow Temperature is not 100 either. That might suggest that the drive has been getting hot? Does it have a heatsink and is it properly attached to the drive?

When an SSD fails it fails catastrophically and it's most unlikely that you'll ever be able to recover data from it. Keep a regular backup of all user data on that drive. Save this screenshot somewhere and look at the SMART data once a month, if you see the Reported Uncorrectable Errors number decreasing each month then I would look to replace the drive.

DingoDangoDongo

Reputable
Dec 8, 2020
It's tricky interpreting SMART data but it looks to me as though the drive is OK but not quite perfect. You have had some errors; the Reported Uncorrectable Errors is not 100 as we would like it. Also, the Airflow Temperature is not 100 either. That might suggest that the drive has been getting hot? Does it have a heatsink and is it properly attached to the drive?

When an SSD fails it fails catastrophically and it's most unlikely that you'll ever be able to recover data from it. Keep a regular backup of all user data on that drive. Save this screenshot somewhere and look at the SMART data once a month, if you see the Reported Uncorrectable Errors number decreasing each month then I would look to replace the drive.
So the drive is a mechanical drive so no heat sink. The issue that I have noticed is that the drive will sometimes disconnect and reconnect popping open windows explorer.

I have taken the drive out and will see what happens while this drive isn't connected.

Thanks