Question Getting data off old PC ?

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Just commenced PC build ...

I am not moving over any HDD's, but there is a lot of Data I want to move across.
Can I connect the 2 PC's back to back ..... presumably with a crossover ethernet cable, or will this not work.

I do have a GigE switch if I plug new PC into switch port what would I need to enable to allow new PC to access HDD's on old PC ?

Or can you connect them via USB 3.0 ports ? ... USB3.0 w ould give me better than ethernet ? ...... just looking for easiest way to transfer the data

Lutfij

Titan
Or can you connect them via USB 3.0 ports ? ... USB3.0 w ould give me better than ethernet ? ...... just looking for easiest way to transfer the data
Please don't do the USB method.

Go old school and backup all mission critical data onto a removable drive, since I'm assuming your older PC is yet up and running.

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
I think if you use Ethernet cable you just need a hub and then you would create a shared folder over the network. Might be faster than using a router, not sure. I just bought an external box for an old 250GB sata m.2 which now is the way I do it.

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Easy 1: Have them both connected to the same router. A shared folder on one or the other, copy/paste.

Easy 2: Copy your data to a flash drive, or other external. Connect to the new system and copy to the relevant place.
Data is nearly 2 TB so Flash drive not an option as largest I have is only 25GB

Both will be connected to same Router (EE SamartHub2) is it just a case of creating a shared folder on new PC and it will 'be visible' on old PC ..... never done this, is it simple enough (or can you point me to steps for this) Old PC is W10 Pro new PC is Win 11 Pro
Currently I don't see any other devices connected to my router.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Data is nearly 2 TB so Flash drive not an option as largest I have is only 25GB

Both will be connected to same Router (EE SamartHub2) is it just a case of creating a shared folder on new PC and it will 'be visible' on old PC ..... never done this, is it simple enough (or can you point me to steps for this) Old PC is W10 Pro new PC is Win 11 Pro
Currently I don't see any other devices connected to my router.
Yes, thats pretty much it.

Make a folder on one or the other visible, let the other system see it, copy/paste.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf